Need help with DIY DAC project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!
I'm interested in building a DAC, mainly for the computer and beeing able to make any other source that has digital output sound better.

My requierments are:
-Highest quallity possible
-Higher Quallity than EMU 0404/1212M Sound card
-For at home use (not portable)
-Prefferebly, budget under 200$
-Prefferbly no tubes(though, can be flexible at this area)
-Using not extremely rare, imposible to find parts.
-Being able to assamble in home (Not SMD kind of chips)

Is it to much to ask at this budget?

Also, I would like to know what best DAC chips are out there, and what schemes? And, what's better- oversampling DAC's or not oversampling ones?

I've been looking into this myself and came up with the DDDAC 1543. This is non-os and uses 8 or 16 parallelled tda1543 dac chips. I haven't built it yet myself, but it is on my list. It is sold as a board with parts, but it is not a complete kit. You'll need to provide enclosure, jacks and battery power (yes, battery) I think it goes for 115euro, so is in your price range.

Re: Re: Need help with DIY DAC project

machinow said:

People have different oppinion on these questions. What do you prefer?
I dunno, I'll usually preffer Non-OS.

zacster said:
I've been looking into this myself and came up with the DDDAC 1543. This is non-os and uses 8 or 16 parallelled tda1543 dac chips. I haven't built it yet myself, but it is on my list. It is sold as a board with parts, but it is not a complete kit. You'll need to provide enclosure, jacks and battery power (yes, battery) I think it goes for 115euro, so is in your price range.

Yeah, I though of more to the 1541, but I dodn't find it any were. How's this 1543 comapres to him?

PCM1704

Enclosed photo is from LINN CD12 CDP.

Attachments

• line cd-12 dac pcb.jpg
    line cd-12 dac pcb.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 591
Pedja's tda1541 PCB

The tda1541 dacs are more expensive to build than the tda1543 or tda1545 dacs.

You can buy Pedja's tda1541 pcb for 40EUR but you have to source all of the parts. Output stage is AD844 if I remember correctly.

http://users.verat.net/~pedjarogic/audio/tda1541a_dac/tda1541a_dac_rev.htm

If you don't mind paying a bit more, there is tube-lover's kit: a twin tda1541a with dual output stage (op amp and tube). The pcb comes fully assembed and tested. $330US.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55808

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.