Need help building a tri chamber 4th or 6th order sub box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Years ago I remember building a triple chamber with some left over plywood from a friends build and two cheap 10" Pyle subs I had laying around, I built a rectangular three chamber design, the woofers facing each other housed in their own sealed enclosures firing into a common middle chamber (third chamber), this middle common chamber I then tuned by ear, with what I can vaguely remember being a piece of 4" PVC pipe, once the box was built I played a constant deep bass tone and started moving the PVC pipe in and out in a twisting motion until I achieved the desire bass tone I wanted, I then marked that spot on the pipe, cut and caulked it to the box. I know this all must sound prehistoric as hell but this was almost 25 years ago, no knowledge of porting, needles to say there was no software available like there is now, this was just an experiment on a lazy weekend which turned out great, the box sounded so good I had a guy make me an offer I could not refuse and ended up selling it for $150 at a local sound off event.

Here I am years later, trying to achieve the same or better results with the same design, just not sure how to go about it, I have an mind the 4th order Tri chamber box design, but have also heard great things about the ABC box also known as the Dual Chamber ported box.

I am open to suggestions, not looking for SPL just looking for in your face bass, deep and tight sound quality. I'm not sure what the volume/dims of the center chamber on the tri chamber design needs to be and that is one of the main reasons I am asking for help designing this box, but again, I am open to suggestions.

I will be using two brand new Alpine Type S SWS-12D4,
Freq Res 26-200hz
Fs 34hz
Vas 44 L
Qms 9.43,
Qes .6,
Qts 0.57,
SPL 86.5.

Alpine recommends either a Sealed box 14"x14"x11" with a Net internal vol .85 cu ft or Ported box 22.5"x12.5"x14" with a Net int vol 1.4 cu ft. vented box tuning range 32-37hz. I would like to be around 35 hz coming out of that center chamber, I already have a 4" flared Aeroport i can cut to size in order to port tune properly, not sure if to port the individual woofer chambers or keep them sealed. Also, this box cant be huge, I am placing it behind the third row seats on a Ford Expedition which is wedge shaped with enough depth for the woofers to face each other.
tribp1.gif

Thank you in advance for any help and suggestions.

Last edited:
You can download a program called "WinISD" by Linearteam. Its awesome for free software. It will allow you to add your speaker ts parameters and help you design an enclosure. Its a handy lil tool I refer to from time to time. If you have any questions about the software. lmk

Here is their link:

LinearTeam

Usually for a 4th order your looking for around a 3:1 or greater ratio. This is the 4th order I'm building into my Safari for this year.

Attachments

• Safari 4th prder.jpg
    Safari 4th prder.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
You can download a program called "WinISD" by Linearteam. Its awesome for free software. It will allow you to add your speaker ts parameters and help you design an enclosure. Its a handy lil tool I refer to from time to time. If you have any questions about the software. lmk

Here is their link:

LinearTeam

Usually for a 4th order your looking for around a 3:1 or greater ratio. This is the 4th order I'm building into my Safari for this year.

I did try using this software in the past but it was kind of technical for me, I do have most parameters from Alpine but was still confused as far as the entries I had to put on the program, I will give it a try again and see where I get stuck and come back to you.

I did try using this software in the past but it was kind of technical for me, I do have most parameters from Alpine but was still confused as far as the entries I had to put on the program, I will give it a try again and see where I get stuck and come back to you.

My Alpine driver is not on the database so I went ahead and started writing my subs info, I have entered most fields but not sure how to go about entering under Re that is a dual voice coil sub 3.5ohm+3.5ohm, do I just enter 3.5? then I don't know what goes under Pe, BL, Dia and Sd? Thought you could help since you might be familiar with the program.
Thanks

You might have to just save what it'll let you then go back in an change them after selecting the driver. Turn off Auto fill and be sure to change # of coils to 2 and coil config to parallel. It looks like BP4 is your best bet.

Thank you for the info, I am still so lost, I went ahead and entered all the parameters from the spec sheet that came with the subs an entered the others you provided on the table you posted, but for some reason my tabs and menus dont seem to be the same, I dont even see AUTO FILL or how to change coils to parallel, I am soo lost

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.