Need advice or guidance on full range drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Despite it being a golden age for FR availability there are few that are 16 ohms. Power handling is a pretty irrelevant specification and can rarely be compared brand-to-brand.

I can tell you my personal favorites from the FRs i have heard (quite a few). Fostex FF85wk, Mark Audio Alpair 5.2 & 7.3.

For less money the Mark Audio Pluvia Seven/CHS-70 has the same basic sonic signature as the Alpair7 but is not capable of the same level of small detail (DDR)

dave

Faital pro might be what you're after? They seem to have a few 16 ohm variants available.

I've seen the faital pro range become quite popular on this forum over the last few years. They have good sensitivity and this one has a maximum power handling of 60 watts but as Planet10 says it's not really always that straight forward? Are you running them full range or rolling off the bass?

FaitalPRO | LF Loudspeakers | 4FE32

I think I have a better idea of your goals now but again outside my area of (lol) "expertise".

In a standard loudspeaker driver placement is critical, using 4" drive units close together would result in some undesirable effects over 4 or 5 khz? Comb filtering etc.

Can you actually hear over 17khz?

I'm curious about what you're doing but you're setting off a fair few alarm bells at the same time :D

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I need power handling somewhat specific to that due to the type of amps I'm putting onto all of my drivers.

But the numbers you get on the spec sheet are not very useful. You can find drivers rated at 10w that handle more power than some rated at 50w.

It is also typicallt safer to have too much power than too little.

dave

I've posited this before, regardless of the safety cushion of actual effective available power, is a car audio application the safest environment for drivers with the physical attributes of FR units such as particularly the Alpair or Jordan metal cones?

When one reads the phrase "murder the 20-20Khz bandwidth", it's not hard to imagine ( or remember) SPLs that could be very torturous for non-hardened drivers.

As with live music reinforcement / musical instrument stage speakers, I think this is an application where the designed operating conditions and limitations of drivers is ignored at one's peril.

What bells do I set off?

12V auto amps yes. The amp is an Orion xtr 1200.4. Judging from guts it'll probably put out close to that.

As far as wishful thinking on car amps power ratings, there's this:
Mobile Edge Tests The Real World Output of 2 Amplifiers

simply put, it's a lot easier to print a big number on a label, or even stuff a lot of parts inside a box than it is to defy the laws of physics.

Not saying that your particular amp isn't capable of its rated power, but many are not.

Boss amps are completely different. My amp is rated at 4800 watts max, that's obviously not would I would go by. This 4 channel is probably the size of a 2.5k class D it's not puny in size whatsoever. It may not put out exactly 200 watts per channel(i think it does) even still it would be close to it I'm thinking. That's why I need 4 16ohm full ranges to wire at 1 ohm.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.