Ncore diy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Who can measure the height of mono block case with the feet?
The task of placing two monoblocks one on top of another in a shelf 21 cm high, is this possible?
Do you have your answer yet? They measure 8cm high, including the feet. Two on top of each other is physically possible, but you should keep a close watch on the temperature, especially if they are also placed in a cabinet.

Who can measure the height of mono block case with the feet?
The task of placing two monoblocks one on top of another in a shelf 21 cm high, is this possible?
Its not advisable to place one on top of the other. The modules use the base of the case as a heat sink. Although very efficient they still produce heat they are power amplifiers. You will shorten the life of the amplifier.

I guess that this should belong here, but finally managed to re-pack the rather fine Nord NC500UP stereo amp into the new enclosure and tweak few things along the way. New cabling, routing, binding posts and spade termination were used with few ferrite cores along the way of power lines. Managed to source quite decent audio quality (spade) quick disconnects for the speaker tabs on input buffer PCB with soldered connections on both binding posts and PCB tab ends. Not quite huge crimping fan! Also, new gold-plated Molex Micro-Fit 3.0 sockets were installed into the matched Molex XLR connector housing with soldered XLR cable connections. Van Damme UP-LCOFC speaker cable was used for internal connections and stock Hypex low noise XLR balanced cable which I find very good.

Case was sourced as one off for this project. I was a bit underwhelmed with the stock modu/Italy case, so this one is really nice improvement. Zero resonance, high end build quality, quite bit of weight, 5mm panels and good looking!

Here is the photo gallery if anyone is interested to take a peek:

Nord NC500UP_V2_DIY Photos

I guess that this should belong here, but finally managed to re-pack the rather fine Nord NC500UP stereo amp into the new enclosure and tweak few things along the way. New cabling, routing, binding posts and spade termination were used with few ferrite cores along the way of power lines. Managed to source quite decent audio quality (spade) quick disconnects for the speaker tabs on input buffer PCB with soldered connections on both binding posts and PCB tab ends. Not quite huge crimping fan! Also, new gold-plated Molex Micro-Fit 3.0 sockets were installed into the matched Molex XLR connector housing with soldered XLR cable connections. Van Damme UP-LCOFC speaker cable was used for internal connections and stock Hypex low noise XLR balanced cable which I find very good.

Case was sourced as one off for this project. I was a bit underwhelmed with the stock modu/Italy case, so this one is really nice improvement. Zero resonance, high end build quality, quite bit of weight, 5mm panels and good looking!

Here is the photo gallery if anyone is interested to take a peek:

Nord NC500UP_V2_DIY Photos

Great way to bring the Ncore DIY thread back to life by using the OEM modules. :) I wonder how many DIYers will be buying the Fusion plates and doing the same?

Last edited:
Well, yeah, not exactly straight forward approach to source the NC500 series modules (only OEM part here) but it's still Ncore DIY in it's own right :)

Honestly, it's a bit irritating that Hypex is not keen to extended their end-user offerings (especially as they confirmed that new MP series is strictly OEM) so newly released/interesting modules are mostly OEM reserved these days. NC400 is well established and long running surely ... and certainly sonically optimised for the end user compared to bare bone NC500, but line refresh wouldn't hurt.

Well, yeah, not exactly straight forward approach to source the NC500 series modules (only OEM part here) but it's still Ncore DIY in it's own right :)

Honestly, it's a bit irritating that Hypex is not keen to extended their end-user offerings (especially as they confirmed that new MP series is strictly OEM) so newly released/interesting modules are mostly OEM reserved these days. NC400 is well established and long running surely ... and certainly sonically optimised for the end user compared to bare bone NC500, but line refresh wouldn't hurt.

Well I think the DIY market has become so small that the burden of support, has become more detrimental than the sales income would be. After all they are a business, and need to make money. Great thing about OEM's, is you answer a few questions once, and you have 1000's of units sold. 1000 DIY units sold could mean months of support burden on the staff.

Last edited:
Well I think the DIY market has become so small that the burden of support, has become more detrimental than the sales income would be. After all they are a business, and need to make money. Great thing about OEM's, is you answer a few questions once, and you have 1000's of units sold. 1000 DIY units sold could mean months of support burden on the staff.

Hello bavmike and friends

I am new here but very intersted in this thread.

I have found these IMG Amps STA-400D / STA-800D using Hypex modules
and suspecting them to be NC252 / NC 502 though I cannot find real detailed infos... well, they are pretty new

does anybody have better info on the modules used... these prices are very appetizing...

https://www.monacor.com/en-gb/img/products/audio/pa-amplifiers/digital-pa-amplifiers/

https://www.sound-systems24.de/PA-Verstaerker/PA-Endstufen/IMG-Stage-Line-PA-Verstaerker/

best

Mike

I'm pretty sure that these are ucd's.

picture.php

Also the wiring is a rats nest.

Hello bavmike and friends

I am new here but very intersted in this thread.

I have found these IMG Amps STA-400D / STA-800D using Hypex modules
and suspecting them to be NC252 / NC 502 though I cannot find real detailed infos... well, they are pretty new

does anybody have better info on the modules used... these prices are very appetizing...

https://www.monacor.com/en-gb/img/products/audio/pa-amplifiers/digital-pa-amplifiers/

https://www.sound-systems24.de/PA-Verstaerker/PA-Endstufen/IMG-Stage-Line-PA-Verstaerker/

best

Mike

The higher end IMG amps use Pascal modules. They are pretty good, but not as good as the Ncore MP series. Not sure what the cheaper ones use. But at that price point I suspect something from China.

I don't think the pricing is any better on the IMG unit's than the Nord MP series. Another drawback is they have cheap volume pots in the signal path. Might seem like a great convenience until you realize how much they degrade the sound. But really depends on the level of quality you're seeking.

Edit: Just looked closer and the STA-400 and STA-800 use Hypex amps. But not sure of the model. Likely UCD like in Rudewolf's picture.

I think you'll have a hard time finding anyone that will beat Nord's prices. Either that or wait for the Fusion plates.

Last edited:
I guess Hypex must sell tons of OEM modules, incl. NC types... and incl. PA Amp makers, otherwiese that business model wouldn´t work.... the thing is to find out which makers to look for

I have heard no bad things about the Pascal Audio modules.... just the opposit... by all means... for my personal quality expectations they are good enough for the Subwoofer units I may like to build.... Pascal is producing in China ... thats no secret... BMW, Audi nd VW is doing the same...

the Hypes UCD´s are not bad either ... see eg. Grimm Audio speakers.... in the first
series of LS1 they are using ucd180 for the2-way mains and ucd400 for the sub,
cheriched around the world for the sonic quality.... if you could get amps for 220 Euros with Hypex modules producing 270W/4Ohms / 180W/8Ohms there is a good base for a nice amp project..... ;-) .... btw.... these specs do not represent any ucd´s I know

It's only the 1000 and 2000 models that use Pascal. No Pascal aren't bad amps. Just not as good as the Hypex MP series. I'd be more concerned about the cheap pots in the signal path than the amps themselves. Unless for subwoofer only then not so bad.

Jeap, agree. The Hypex MP´s are really good. The actual Pascal´s are also quiet good FR PWM Technology modules. Jeff Rowland uses both Hypex NC´s and Pascals for the power stages in his amps.

Jeff Rowland Continuum S2 Integrated

maybe the IMG STA-1000D / STA-400D are good objects for projects...

the Pascal driven for an active sub two-unit solution, the Hypex for active two-way mains.....

Jeap, agree. The Hypex MP´s are really good. The actual Pascal´s are also quiet good FR PWM Technology modules. Jeff Rowland uses both Hypex NC´s and Pascals for the power stages in his amps.

Jeff Rowland Continuum S2 Integrated

maybe the IMG STA-1000D / STA-400D are good objects for projects...

the Pascal driven for an active sub two-unit solution, the Hypex for active two-way mains.....

Likely the reason Jeff Rowland used Pascal is because the Hypex MP series just came out and wasn't available at the time he released those amps. The MP series was just released a couple of months ago. That Jeff Rowland amp was released 3-4 years ago. He uses the Ncore in his $58000 amp. If he liked Pascal better the Pascal would be in the $58000 amp :)

I find the standard connector solution on pascal modules genius, as it allows you to buy a quality amp and supply from pascal and an input or dsp board with external connectors from another vendor (the accuton dsp module is one example)

A bit of topic but some people might not have seen these audaphon AMP-2500 and AMP-4250 plate amps based on pascal
Strassacker: Loudspeakers for your car - Cabinets - DIY

That is a lot of power and channels for the money IMHO

It's only the 1000 and 2000 models that use Pascal. No Pascal aren't bad amps. Just not as good as the Hypex MP series. I'd be more concerned about the cheap pots in the signal path than the amps themselves. Unless for subwoofer only then not so bad.

Correct - the pots are not very good. I haven't tried with no pot, but one of my pots can give noise in to the signal. It does go away after some turning left and right. Just like some very old amps, but these a new!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.