NAO Note II RS Completed March 2016

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Those look super sweet! How long did the woodworking take?
Cheers!

Thanks! I did not add up the time. But, I guess 30 hours. Maybe more. I had a friend with a well equipped woodworking shop to help, but I don't it would have taken a lot more if I did it alone. As with everything, there is a learning curve, and the next time would certainly be shorter.

Josh

mkc

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Josh,

What a beautiful pair of speakers you have build. I haven't heard the Nao Note RS, but I have build a pair of the original Nao Note with a U-frame. I'm sure the the RS is equally great. Since my music is room is still pending to be re-build, a friend of mine has borrowed them. He has a very large listening room (~80m2) in an old farm house and I can assure you there is no lack of bass. The Nao Note are so good he has put his own speakers (JMR Concorde Supreme) up for sale. I guess we will have to build another pair when my room is finished.

Beside being extremely help full and with great patience, John has to be applauded for making such a great speaker available for such a reasonably amount of money.

Cheers,
Mogens

Hi Josh,

What a beautiful pair of speakers you have build. I haven't heard the Nao Note RS, but I have build a pair of the original Nao Note with a U-frame. I'm sure the the RS is equally great. Since my music is room is still pending to be re-build, a friend of mine has borrowed them. He has a very large listening room (~80m2) in an old farm house and I can assure you there is no lack of bass. The Nao Note are so good he has put his own speakers (JMR Concorde Supreme) up for sale. I guess we will have to build another pair when my room is finished.

Beside being extremely help full and with great patience, John has to be applauded for making such a great speaker available for such a reasonably amount of money.

Cheers,
Mogens

Thanks, Mogens, or should I say tack? I know Swedish people named Mogens . Do you live there? Where?

I guess you will be making a second set. An obvious difference in the design from yours is the miniDSP crossover and the extra amp channels. I had no hesitation from it cost wise because I thought the electronics would be easy to resell if it came to that. Much more so than a DIY speaker with a lot invested in crossover components. My only hesitation was the extra ADC-DAC step and the quality of the miniDSP DAC. So far, I am quite satisfied.

You are absolutely right about John K making such an excellent quality speaker achievable for such a reasonable price. It is amazing.

Josh

mkc

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks, Mogens, or should I say tack? I know Swedish people named Mogens . Do you live there? Where?

I'm from Denmark and Thanks is "Tak" in danish. I didn't think the name Mogens existed in Sweden as I believe the Swedish name for Mogens is Magnus.

I guess you will be making a second set.

Yes, I'm sure we eventually will. I build these to replace my QUAD ESL-63. However, I have talked with John K about adding a pair of U-frame woofers to them, as he has experience in doing so.

An obvious difference in the design from yours is the miniDSP crossover and the extra amp channels.

Yes, and this is a concern for many. Other friends, which has heard the original Nao Note at my friends house, has asked if a passive filter could be made for the upper panel of the new RS version. I have asked John K, but he has no desire to make one, which I fully respect. But, I guess it could be done and one could use a 4x2 minidsp to cross-over between the bass module and the panel.

Anyway, I have a extra pair of, the now difficult to source, tweeters for the original Nao Note so we are able to build a second pair. Also, I have bought the plans for the RS version from John so that is also an possibility

Cheers,
Mogens

I'm from Denmark and Thanks is "Tak" in danish. I didn't think the name Mogens existed in Sweden as I believe the Swedish name for Mogens is Magnus.

Anyway, I have a extra pair of, the now difficult to source, tweeters for the original Nao Note so we are able to build a second pair. Also, I have bought the plans for the RS version from John so that is also an possibility

Mogens,

I will have to check with the Swedes about the name.

Good luck with whatever speaker you go for. It's good to have choices.

Since you are in Denmark, I am curious if you ever heard any of Troels Gravesen's open baffle designs?

Josh

I just want to say thanks to everyone who has commented here, and particularly to Josh for starting the thread. Most builders don't publically present their work, and as you all know, I do very little to promote my designs. So, a little PR can go a long way in letting others know that a very good system can be built for a fairly modest amount of $$$s.

Thanks again to all.

I just want to say thanks to everyone who has commented here, and particularly to Josh for starting the thread. Most builders don't publically present their work, and as you all know, I do very little to promote my designs. So, a little PR can go a long way in letting others know that a very good system can be built for a fairly modest amount of $$$s.

Thanks again to all.

I agree my system is similar to yours and it's not a copy. You helped me in the design in one way or another, it does sound really good. BTW I had built a few OB systems before this system is one of the better sounding one. Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.