NAO Note II RS Completed March 2016

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Many, many thanks to John K for developing this design and for sharing it with the community. I could never had done it myself.

These speakers have the most realistic presentation of recorded music I have ever experienced, in over 40 years in the hobby. This realism is exactly what I was seeking in this build. I have excellent 2-ways (Merlin VSM) that are clean, transparent and highly resolving, and I enjoy them greatly, too. But, I found myself wanting a more immersive experience. What others described as "you are there" versus "they are here." That led me to want to try open baffles and the NAO Note II RS.

I was worried that I would give up a lot of what I loved about the Merlins. But, that is not the case. I would say the Merlins are a little cleaner, but there is such a big difference in the sense of air around the performer, that that quality becomes hard to compare. It is really comparing unlike things. Bottom line, I am very happy.

I've posted some photos. Sorry about the images being rotated. I'll have to figure that out. They are made from walnut veneered plywood. The plywood's plies are soft and light. Maybe too much so. Oh, well.

Josh

Attachments

• _D7N9742.jpg
    _D7N9742.jpg
    903.1 KB · Views: 709
  • _D7N9743.jpg
    _D7N9743.jpg
    1,017.9 KB · Views: 652
  • _D7N9747.jpg
    _D7N9747.jpg
    1,003.4 KB · Views: 628
  • _D7N9741.jpg
    _D7N9741.jpg
    934 KB · Views: 631
Many, many thanks to John K for developing this design and for sharing it with the community. I could never had done it myself.

These speakers have the most realistic presentation of recorded music I have ever experienced, in over 40 years in the hobby.... But, I found myself wanting a more immersive experience. What others described as "you are there" versus "they are here." That led me to want to try open baffles and the NAO Note II RS.

... It is really comparing unlike things. Bottom line, I am very happy.

...Josh

Congratulations! The easiness and naturalness are from another world with good dipoles. Spot-on for classical and other acoustic live recordings.

I'm always amazed to see the results of someone's build of a speaker from a set of plans I put together. Why is it that they always look a 1000 times better than my prototypes? :)

Congratulations Josh, beautiful build.

Really, John, the congratulations go to you. But, I do appreciate the compliment on the build. It was a fair amount of work. I am happy with how they turned out. I am lucky to have a friend with a well equipped wood shop who helped me.

The sense of realism is just astonishing. And, without giving up any other attribute so beloved by audiophiles.

Thank you!

Josh

Very beautiful woodwork. If you invent a grill cloth strategy which allows most of this beautiful wood to stay exposed, you must update your pictures.

Did you use digital crossovers? MiniDSP? PC-with crossover S/W?
======
JohnK's NAO Note II and Linkwitz's LX521 brought controlled directivity polar management to dipoles.

Very beautiful woodwork. If you invent a grill cloth strategy which allows most of this beautiful wood to stay exposed, you must update your pictures.

Did you use digital crossovers? MiniDSP? PC-with crossover S/W?
======
JohnK's NAO Note II and Linkwitz's LX521 brought controlled directivity polar management to dipoles.

Thanks, LineSource. So far, my wife has not complained about there being no grill. Until she does, I do not plan on making one. If I do, I will try first with limiting it to the woofer opening.

I used the the recommended crossover design, the miniDSP. I did not really look closely into alternatives. I do have a PC that could likely do it, but I have a home theater-type setup and the PC is too far upstream for processing the other sources.

Josh

jzexport,

Currently my woofers are mounted in a U-frame config. and I am think of migrating to V(W) frame if it gives an sound advantage. The way you mount your 2 woofers look interesting. I have a few questions you have the expertise/experience to answer:

1. How do you find the bass response in your woofer config.? Satisfactory
2. Why is the woofer cabinet slanted at the rear, the top woofer's back reflected wave will hit the slanted back panel wouldn't this interfere with the woofer response? Any comments?

John K. if you reading this you may like to comment. Will this V(W) config. give me a better bass response when compared to my current U-frame? Thanks

jzexport,

2. Why is the woofer cabinet slanted at the rear, the top woofer's back reflected wave will hit the slanted back panel wouldn't this interfere with the woofer response? Any comments?

John K. if you reading this you may like to comment. Will this V(W) config. give me a better bass response when compared to my current U-frame? Thanks

1. I find the bass response satisfactory

2. This is a question for John K. I recall some discussion somewhere about the U vs W, but never anything about the slanted panel. Perhaps you should post the question on the main NAO Note II RS thread.

jzexport,

Currently my woofers are mounted in a U-frame config. and I am think of migrating to V(W) frame if it gives an sound advantage. The way you mount your 2 woofers look interesting. I have a few questions you have the expertise/experience to answer:

The woofer performance is the same as with the original configuration shown below:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The change was made to make it easier to build and for cosmetic reasons.

There is a slight resonance caused by the sloping rear panel but it is well into he stop band of the woofer low pass filter and is attenuated sufficiently. Both this newer configuration and the original provide the same dipole bass response. The damped U- frame, as used in the NaO II RS is a different animal. The damped U provides more of a cardioid response and also somewhat high max SPL capability than the Note II RS dipole configuration.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.