Naim Nait-2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
amplifierguru said:
Ha lohk,

I've both seen and heard this product - it's EE 101 stuff. Sorry to say. real Barry Manilow.

You're punching above your weight.

Cheers,
Greg:D
guru-no 'fence ,but you remind me on Upupa now......

everybody have rights for own high end

:devilr:

I have opportunity to hear and repair mucho costly gadgets which sounded more mediocre than some really mediocre amps.....

is it something wrong with my ears,or engineers are responsible for that?

besides-this little amp is just that-little amp,nothing more and nothing less -in this case

Hi HOEK and others, here is the PSU circuit of NAIT-2.

Attachments

• power supply.gif
    power supply.gif
    65.8 KB · Views: 2,065
The circuits don't seem to have changed much, even in the newer stuff.

I've got a NAC112X and NAP150X, and from casual inspection of the boards at least, the circuits look remarkably similar to those posted in this thread.

They seem to break a lot of the rules of good amplifier design, yet sound very good !

Hi Gents:

I just caught up on this thread - and THANKS to the fellows who took the time to trace out the Nait2 ccts. I thot I was going to have to do it myself.

Since I found them yesterday, I have found and fixed the problem in my friend's Nait2 (cracked trace), added pre-out/pwr-in jacks and short-wired CD-input jacks to the Aux-in DIN connector. All this in just a couple of hours. This is one friendly little unit to work on.

To the gentlemen who said at the beginning of this thread that the Nat2 can't handle rock or symphonic material - I would like to suggest that you may be using the wrong speaker cable. The NAIMs do not have Zobel ccts on their output and inductive loads drive them crazy - can even kill them. NAIM always recommended that users buy their speaker cables - this is not necessary - but it is imperative that you do not use inductive loads on them. Lamp cord on cheap banana blugs works best.

I have mine feeding a pair of Tannoy 635s and they will rock your sox off - even with only 2 X 15 watts. :D

Thanks again for the schems. I will try to make the time to put the ccts trhough ExpressSCH t get some archival schems for everybody. Look for the post (but not too soon)

Jess G.

Hi all:

Sorry for a mistake in my last post...

I said that the NAIMs don't like inductive loads - WRONG, they don't like CAPACITIVE loads.

Happily, my friend Planet-10 corrected me here:

"the cables CANNOT be capacitive, they need to provide some inductance. (ie no low inductance cables)"

Thanks for that Dave - and sorry to anyone who I gave the wrong info. :cannotbe:

Cheers

Jess

Nait 2 Bias setting

Hi,

where do I have to check the bias in my Nait 2? I remember there was a website showing the points on the pcb where to meassure the values but can´t find it anymore... has anyboy an idea where to find more detailed info about the nait 2?

Thx

Thomas

Nait 2 Bias setting

Hi,

where do I have to check the bias in my Nait 2? I remember there was a website showing the points on the pcb where to meassure the values but can´t find it anymore... has anyboy an idea where to find more detailed info about the nait 2?

Thx

Thomas

anybody has the nait2 (CD version) schematics?
my nait2 is noisy which can be heard (in both speakers) only when the source is silent (the noise is a kind of sporadic friction/rubbing noise)... any ideas about what I should look for, the PSU Caps?
many thanks

Tof

What's the function of the capacitors in the forward path, ie those before output stage bases please?

Naim is interesting, EVERY amplifier bar none is identical, save for the power supply voltage, the 250 and 135 are unique in having hi volt regulators.

the preamps and phono stages are all identical too, the posher ones simply have more switching facilities, and more psu regulation.

no uneducated people realise this, that all are the same, they have REAL problems grasping that and think the more expensive ones are better period, its a huge con trick.

however, they do sound excellent, no amp around sounds as musical and engaging, not just that, the tonal colour is captured also, far more natural to my ears than most amps.

I have a philosophy that the more transistors used, the more clinical the sound, this has served me well thro the years, and almost is a scientific law, I justify it by measurements vs. performance sonically, the more active parts to make the distortion better, the more the sound tends to uncoloured.

I agree with doug self generally, whose logic is unflappable, that why not try and get measuremnts, specifically, distortion as low as humanly possible within reasonable measures and price as long as its cheap and easy, why not? And if you want distortion, you can add it with an aphex, spl or bbe maximizer, or even culture vulture unit. I use them myself and adulterate the sound.

however, I like my music coloured to some degree, I listen to enjoy the sound, not get off on measurements and colouration to me enhances the experience as long as its not pleasant, contradicting that, I do long for the original reproduction.

I wonder how simple it is to up the psu volts to get more power?

yes naim use the speaker leads to add forward inducantce to compensate for capacitive speakers.

Even in the latest amps, they use the same circuit, but bridged, that tells me the output stage has not to be messed with to upset the unique sonice quality these perform. no complimentary pairs of EVEN paralleling is done hmmmm. I wonder if they would benefit tho from a current mirror on the input? trouble is, would raise the gain and mess up stability?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.