NAD S200 SilverLine power amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll take the benefit of this thread to describe the work I recently did on an S-300 (the one based on Gryphon Tabu Century):
1. replace main caps with Panasonic TS-HA caps, which are specified for 105 degrees.
2. reduce the bias of the preamp transistors (the ZTX ones) - this has great effect on the heat inside the amp.
3. remove the soft clipping circuit (also called SOA protection circuit).

All of these (mainly the SOA circuit), contribute to a more 3 dimensional sound, with less veil and grain - highly recommended

Cheers,
Yair

A friend bought yesterday a set of C100 and C200 with a total value of $ 1,440. For my taste and his taste, too, probably he is worth this amount of money. Of course, one could expect a little better sound, but overall, after it warmed up it sounded good. Of the shortcomings, I would note that the sound quality deteriorates significantly at a quiet volume. With speakers with high efficiency, the sound becomes not very comfortable, either very loud or bad. Therefore, I heard a lot of positive reviews from the owners of Dinaudio speaker systems in which the sensitivity is not great. Now I paid attention to the German amplifiers Audionet, I think there will not be this problem of the first watt.
NAD S200 - Manual - Stereo Power Amplifier - HiFi Engine

Attachments

• Audionet 3.jpg
    Audionet 3.jpg
    813.3 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
But they are very demanding on cables. I don't know if this is good or bad, but with the right ones they sound great. I had good Soviet high end amps and they weren't that picky about cables.

The more transparent an amp gets, the clearer the difference between cables gets, both signal and power.

And "good Soviet high end amp" sounds like a bit of an oxymoron to me. Even if the topology has been ok, the quality of the passive parts would have been very dubious, especially of electrolytic caps. Termination too.

You are talking complete nonsense, not knowing about the case. Why do you think there are so many dissatisfied NadS200 / S100 here, and why even more people don't trust good audio cables? We have connected Russian-made audio cables to the NadS200 / S100. I think you really haven't seen much in this world. And the "good high-end Soviet amplifier" Corvette 048 outperforms many Sansui, which is even more oxymoron for me. The corvette also produced cartridges with beryllium cantilevers, Sansui did not even have anything like that.

Last edited:
It will perhaps be better if we simply agree to disagree товарищ :)

The last time i saw anything Sansui was as a teenager, sadly, a long time ago. Didn't even know they made cartridges.

Otoh, i seem to recall Romy the cat had a weird Corvette tonearm at some stage, that he even X-rayed. Liked the sound too.

There are errors in the layout of the ground loops. I'll show you one in the picture. I will keep the rest of the mistakes a secret. Whoever needs them will find it himself, the path is indicated. Overall, after inspecting the circuit, it is clear that this amplifier could potentially sound much better. The circuit itself is very good. But, apparently, there are minor flaws. NAD 218 THX has the same errors. Perhaps this simplification is due to the possibility of balanced switching in these amplifiers. But I'm sure they just didn't give it the proper importance for an amplifier of this class. Like, and so it will come down for the money.

Attachments

• NADS200 WIRING DIAGRAM.jpg
    NADS200 WIRING DIAGRAM.jpg
    731.8 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
The more transparent an amp gets, the clearer the difference between cables gets, both signal and power.

And "good Soviet high end amp" sounds like a bit of an oxymoron to me. Even if the topology has been ok, the quality of the passive parts would have been very dubious, especially of electrolytic caps. Termination too.
This is where the real oxymoron is in a beautiful wrapper ... technical mistake after mistake, and in its roughest form ... Where is this amplifier assembled? In Denmark? Is this a Gryphon factory?
Electromechanical loudspeaker protection relays
manufactured by FUJITSU Electric Co. Ltd. with a rated coil voltage of 48 V and a rated switching current of 16 A / 250 V. At least for starters, they should have learned from the masters of the old Japanese school ...
Moreover, I found that even the values ​​of the resistors in the circuit are erroneously swapped, at least in the NAD 218 THX they are set correctly.
At the expense of the invented conclusions about the special clarity and transparency in the amplifier, made with gross errors, it is ridiculous to read.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.