n00b wants to make a 2-way speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys and girls,

I'm looking to do my first speaker build and have been researching the past few days. A simple (dumb) diagram of what I'm looking to do is attached but there are a few missing pieces.

I watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2QDi-mqEDw
which gave me a bit of an insight into using a capacitor as a high pass filter on the tweeter, but am not sure as to how to apply it as a low pass to the woofer. I think the guy in this vid was using the woofer's natural HF decline but I want to low pass it.
I am also aware that the tweeter is going to output a higher SPL than the woofer so wanted to use an L-PAD to attenuate it. Also using an L-PAD on the front as a master volume.

Can anyone advise me if this signal flow works, and how to sort out the overall impedance of the system.

Cheers,

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_1090.jpg
    IMG_1090.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 117
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Tom,
Why not look through the forum and read about how other 2 way systems are put together. After doing this you will be able to start with a realistic system.

What you have posted isn't going to work properly, not as you would expect. Right now your design is not a starting point.

-Chris

Thanks anatech, I have been looking through the forums and found some complimentary information but there is a lot going on here and am thought it might be helpful to speak to a person directly. Could you elaborate as to why my design doesn't work? Do I need a more comprehensive crossover than simply putting capacitors or inductors in front of the speakers? Are the LPADs in the wrong order?
I have thought about buying an already assembled passive crossover but just wanted to do something cheap to start with.

Cheers,

Tom

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Tom,
Well, in all those systems you have had a look at, how many start with an L-pad? Besides, those things are expensive.

Don't look for cheap. Look for correct (which is cheaper). Have another look at the crossovers. Compare with yours and think on it a little. Hint: first delete the L-pads. You will also need an inductor for the woofer and what's called a "zobel network" to have the woofer actually cross-over as expected. A Zoble network is a series R and C that goes across the woofer to correct its rising impedance with frequency.

-Chris

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member

Attachments

• db.jpeg
    db.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 105
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.