n00b wants to make a 2-way speaker

Hey guys and girls,

I'm looking to do my first speaker build and have been researching the past few days. A simple (dumb) diagram of what I'm looking to do is attached but there are a few missing pieces.

I watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2QDi-mqEDw
which gave me a bit of an insight into using a capacitor as a high pass filter on the tweeter, but am not sure as to how to apply it as a low pass to the woofer. I think the guy in this vid was using the woofer's natural HF decline but I want to low pass it.
I am also aware that the tweeter is going to output a higher SPL than the woofer so wanted to use an L-PAD to attenuate it. Also using an L-PAD on the front as a master volume.

Can anyone advise me if this signal flow works, and how to sort out the overall impedance of the system.

Cheers,

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_1090.jpg
    IMG_1090.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 107

anatech

Administrator
Paid Member
2004-06-06 8:31 pm
Georgetown, On
Hi Tom,
Why not look through the forum and read about how other 2 way systems are put together. After doing this you will be able to start with a realistic system.

What you have posted isn't going to work properly, not as you would expect. Right now your design is not a starting point.

-Chris

Thanks anatech, I have been looking through the forums and found some complimentary information but there is a lot going on here and am thought it might be helpful to speak to a person directly. Could you elaborate as to why my design doesn't work? Do I need a more comprehensive crossover than simply putting capacitors or inductors in front of the speakers? Are the LPADs in the wrong order?
I have thought about buying an already assembled passive crossover but just wanted to do something cheap to start with.

Cheers,

Tom

anatech

Administrator
Paid Member
2004-06-06 8:31 pm
Georgetown, On
Hi Tom,
Well, in all those systems you have had a look at, how many start with an L-pad? Besides, those things are expensive.

Don't look for cheap. Look for correct (which is cheaper). Have another look at the crossovers. Compare with yours and think on it a little. Hint: first delete the L-pads. You will also need an inductor for the woofer and what's called a "zobel network" to have the woofer actually cross-over as expected. A Zoble network is a series R and C that goes across the woofer to correct its rising impedance with frequency.

-Chris

AllenB

Paid Member
2008-10-18 11:31 am

Attachments

• db.jpeg
    db.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 96