• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

MyRef_C with Ultimate BOM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would be interested if there will be enough room for the two PTs that were offered in the GB and a reasonable amount of room for heatsinking. Should we go this route, possibly someone would work up a template for drilling with hand tools. Not everybody has great layout or metalworking skills, or, a drill press!

I imagine this thread will also serve as somewhat of the build thread, unless someone starts a new one the way I did for the previous group buy. It proved to be a very informative thread, helping a lot of people, and eventually led to this "ultimate" BOM. If someone does start a new thread, please put it in the chipamps group and give it a meaningful name that can be easily found.

If you have questions in the meantime, just ask. Uriah, Dario, Troy, and I have all built a few of these amps and tested a lot of parts. Unless it gets really technical, one of us should be able to help. I am not familiar with every part used in this kit, but I know something about most of them.

Peace,
Tom E

Okay, let me talk to Dennis again. That little box wont do the trick. You cant get a sink into it. However the stereo one will work fine. I will talk to him about ordering maybe 10 of them.

If it's cost effective to post to UK I would be interested in a case/chassis. Whilst my preference would be for something 'compact' I would need to accommodate two channels and a 'lighter note' with volume control.

Was there any decsion about the 'problem' of keeping the LDRs on whilst the amps power down?

Regards
Geoff

We are waiting to be "hands on" with the lightspeed to see if it really becomes a problem when shuting down. While that, we are only making suggestions like adding capacitance or using a delay system.

For the building thread topic, my vote goes to continue it right here. We have a lot of useful information already compiled here, and so many questions have been already answered here. I see it a bit redundant IMHO, but choose the most appropiate solution ;)

Regards,
Regi

Was there any decsion about the 'problem' of keeping the LDRs on whilst the amps power down?/QUOTE]

Sorry, I seemed to have missed this (issue?). Can anyone elaborate, please?

I've used a LS with my main amps and kept it powered on all the time. My listening volco position is in the 12 o'clock and the LDRs won't be getting much juice at all.

Cheers

Jon

Was there any decsion about the 'problem' of keeping the LDRs on whilst the amps power down?/QUOTE]

Sorry, I seemed to have missed this (issue?). Can anyone elaborate, please?

I've used a LS with my main amps and kept it powered on all the time. My listening volco position is in the 12 o'clock and the LDRs won't be getting much juice at all.

Cheers

Jon
When the LDR are loosing input voltage (when you turn their supply off), there seems to be a little space of time where volume output is maximum. So the problem comes when turning of the MyRef_C with an integrated LDR attenuator if it has a signal input, you will MAYBE have full output volume.

You may try and tell us the results, as Andrew says.

I don't think such a document exists, but Uriah did compile a list (and links) to the helpful elements of the original MyRef build topic that Russ White contributed to and where his original boards were created. As our boards are using the same layout then those links should help you.

The trouble is I'm on my work PC and have Uriah's post with the links in it saved as a bookmark on my home PC. I'll try and post later if someone hasn't already beaten me to it.

Uriah, any further info on when you aim to get the rest of the international orders out?

Thanks

So what is being suggested is that I sift through some 1500 posts to get accurate information about building this project.

It is suggested that you learn to use the tools given.. You can narrow the search to very exacting items and get good results.

If step by step instructions are required and the effort is not given in searches then maybe this is not the appropriate level kit.

Hopefully this will not be a trial and error project.:p

Trials have been done, the design is tested and proven. Uriah would not ship parts that don't work ( I trust his professionalism) and the PCB's have been used multiple times before.

If you have specific questions several people (including myself) will be HAPPY to help. But have faith in yourself. This is suppose to be a hobby and FUN.

When the LDR are loosing input voltage (when you turn their supply off), there seems to be a little space of time where volume output is maximum. So the problem comes when turning of the MyRef_C with an integrated LDR attenuator if it has a signal input, you will MAYBE have full output volume.

You may try and tell us the results, as Andrew says.

Thanks Andrew and Regi,

I see the problem now, thanks, but haven't experienced it as I've only used the LDR volco as a separate unit that is always powered up (when using MyRefCs or Arcams). I'll bear this all in mind when I put my latest rig together.

Cheers

Jon

You guys are going to have to put in a little effort. In the first post I reference the original thread. Also referenced in a few more pages are a large number of frequently asked questions with links to answers. There is a build thread on this site, just search MyRef or MyRefC. There is the old group buy thread and there is also Regis very well put together documentation which should take care of most questions. We will all help but my time is limited right now and my typing is as well. Carpal tunnel keeps typing to a min and baby is due tomorrow so the house is crazy. This is a plug and play amp. The board tells you the resistor value and you plug in the resistor.
Look at the BOM for a few resistors that have different values than the board shows.
Populate smallest components first and then solder. Then medium sized caps. Then all actives. Make sure to mount the LM3886 to a sink before you put on the power supply caps or you will play hell getting it on a sink.
Uriah

So what is being suggested is that I sift through some 1500 posts to get accurate information about building this project.

Hopefully this will not be a trial and error project.:p

I think Uriah and friends have gone over the top on this GB. As a newbee of sorts, I always read all the posts regarding a project, refer to the circuit, go over the BOM, and take notes while reading everything. I also do a google search for posts and threads, wherever they may lie. As a result, I am transitioning from a very expensive high end 2 channel stereo system, to a same system of mostly DIY components which exceed the performance of the commercial components which were formerly in my system.

So yes N7XG, read all 1500 posts. And as it has been suggested, if you are not prepared to make the intellectual investment into these projects, you may want to consider purchasing a commercial DIY kit from a vendor, with step by step instructions and check boxes, and an 800 customer help line. I am quite sure that someone will gladly purchase your kit should you choose not to proceed with this project. I am not trying to be negative towards you but, this is the way DIYAUDIO functions.

Ah, the intoxicating aroma of burning electrical components! :D

The first post is obviously pretty easy to find but really is only useful for the link to the first myref thread here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/54571-my-audiophile-lm3886-approach.html.
Here is a link to the one where I list the frequently asked questions. This is a very very informative post and will also take you to places in the original thread as well as the most recent build thread.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/160768-myref_c-ultimate-bom-14.html#post2110622

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.