• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

MyRef_C with Ultimate BOM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AndrewT,
In my inconsistent and unreliable memory I seem to recall you talking about bridging or paralleling MyREFC's and that it was possible but would not be beneficial. Am I remembering correctly or completely off base?
Uriah

Further to this, here's what I said in a PM to Uriah about my vertical/horizontal bi-amping, and whether I should go for two or four channels of Ultimate:

I have bi-wireable speakers that I run with 2 stereo Arcam power amps.
Depending on how I feel, I either run them in mono with one amp doing one side (but bi-wired), or I use the top amp for the tweeters and the bottom for bass drivers.

I've got 4 channels of MyRefC, but not used all 4 yet because I haven't drilled my big sinks to run all 4 at once. Got 2x225VA trafos that were meant for monobloc construction. As Brian and Nelson have said, and you advised, I'll be sticking with one trafo per channel. Trouble is that I can't get all 4 trafos and amp modules in the same chassis!!!! I didn't want to stack the trafos, as I'm worried about a shorted turn.

My speakers are about 89dB/W/M, and my smallish sinks barely get warm, even when giving it a blast. I didn't catch AndrewT's comments. I can't see why these would be any different from normal biamping - perhaps I just ought to get 4 channels of the ULTIMATE and try it out!!

When my Arcams are in mono, they are not bridged, from what I understand, just that the outputs ar parallelled. I'm interested to hear if the MyRefCs can be bridged to increase power.

Cheers

Jon

P.S. My comments about the number of trafos per channel refer to my 225VA units not being beefy enough for two channels, not that using a single, correctly-rated for two channels is in any way wrong... unless you are a diehard monobloc-er!! ;)

Last edited:
Got a PM from Andrew,
He says he doesnt recall if he said that or not but that its possible. He is unsure as he has not studied the design much and he says that he is usually against bridge or parallel unless the amp is designed specifically for that purpose, even though it can often work it would not likely be as good as an amp designed specifically for balanced operation into a speaker.
He says this "A balanced amplifier is quite a different design from a cobbled together pair of bridged amplifiers."
Sorry guys I wish I could recall who said it and why. I know I sure would like to be able to use more than one of these if I ever get my Magnepans I have been dreaming of for years!
Uriah

Holy Smokes am I beat. I moved by myself all day. Suprised my back held out. Few bloody knuckles but feeling actually kind of good from the physical activity.
The movers come tomorrow to pick up where I left off. The new refrigerator, washer and dryer get here tomorrow and need to be installed. My wife's father flies in tomorrow to help to (thanks to him!). Celia has a gymnastics competition tomorrow. I think its obvious that tomorrow will be my most busy day of the week so if I am slow to answer any questions or dont answer at all tomorrow please forgive me.
ALSO I dont have internet at the new house yet. Will try to take care of that right now. So if they are a bit slow I might not be able to answer Thursday as well but I think by Friday I should be back in the saddle and ready to pay attention here again.
Uriah

I know it is a chance I get stuck with some stock, but I think everything in this BOM would be pretty easy to get rid of on this forum if I end up buying more than you guys buy from me.

I bought four boards...

...though I'm worried if there will be any of the kits left on the 16th of April :eek:

I know I'll buy 2 then...as well as the boards I already ordered. :cool:

The BOM components should make a nice flow all the way through end to end. Very Nice! Thank you for your efforts on this group buy. :cool:

RE Lightspeed PSU

Rgiregi 22 said;-

'Building the Lightspeed attenuator with Uriah's matched LDRs should be trouble-free. It should take no more than a square inch veroboard. But with the supplied kits, boards are included. Hook it up to the regulated PSU and you're done. The PSU shouldn't take up more than an square inch board.
Attached files are my PSU schematics and Georgehifi Lightspeed Attenuator.'

Thanks for posting all these details and schematics.
Are you (or anyone who's done it) feeling generous enough to post a Quick BOM with a few suggested
RS or digi-key part numbers to help thickies like me?

Cheers.

Uriah well done with the move, next time I move out I hope it will be in a wooden box with someone else doing all the lifting! You can never tell though eh... DIY Audio inspired divorce might mean I have to move sooner!

Bill

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.