Mylar Thickness ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
2 MICRON = 2E-6 meters thick Mylar is used in the Sound Lab ESLs.

4 MICRON =4E-6 meters thick Mylar is frequently used in DIY, as it is more robust and can withstand manual application techniques of a high resistive coating. 5-6 micron Mylar is another common ESL thickness.

1 mil = 25.4 microns

Capacitors

Basically I'm having fun with making my own:

1) Capacitors

2) Microphones

3) Electrostatic speakers are starting to look pretty $%@##$% interesting now too...

Trying to find aluminized mylar has been a pain in the butt sofar. I've tried (with no response yet) astronomy clubs, hobby shops, and even wrote to an independent space exploration program that is working on solar sails asking for help finding a supplier.

I called Peluso Microphone Lab, and the owner said he'd bust me off a sizeable chunk of sputtered mylar. I think he got the idea that I was going to be his competition eventually and kinda backed out. I shouldn't have sent him my CAD workups of my designs...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.