My_Ref Fremen Edition - Build thread and tutorial

HI guys a bit off-topic, I have the version 14th of this amazing amplifier, and I am super-happy with it but I am in need of some preamp, and input selector, I got a deck, and some turntable so I would love to use it, but simply I cannot find anything with tape monitor + phono in a decent price, does somebody can recommend me something ?? :) thanks in advance :)

Edit: Btw I am not in need of any fancy valve preamps or something like this just something which meanwhile will pair good with the Fremen, would have recording loop and phono input (but this one it's not really a must, I can buy it separately)

Last edited:
HI guys a bit off-topic, I have the version 14th of this amazing amplifier, and I am super-happy with it but I am in need of some preamp, and input selector, I got a deck, and some turntable so I would love to use it, but simply I cannot find anything with tape monitor + phono in a decent price, does somebody can recommend me something ?? :) thanks in advance :)

Edit: Btw I am not in need of any fancy valve preamps or something like this just something which meanwhile will pair good with the Fremen, would have recording loop and phono input (but this one it's not really a must, I can buy it separately)
I have an LDR Pre from Neb (user "zdr" here.) that I use with my My_RefFE for volume control and input selection. I had bought a PCB and a custom Arduino controller from Neb a couple of years ago (not the ready-to-use unit that he also has available). Is easy to use and sounds very good. Ask Neb if he has any boards and Arduinos left.

Just to confirm: OP828s with 150pF AMCH and the 1k mod worked the best for me. I have not tried other opamps, although I will try the original LM318 one day.
So a couple of days ago I put in C9 and swapped OP828 for LM319. It's still settling in, but the subtle difference in presentation is fascinating. I was expecting to lose a bit of layering with C9 fitted but I couldn't really say one way or the other. There is not so much fairy dust sparkle but the music is definitely less mechanical. I can see why Dario recommends building it as per the BoM to start...

Wait a minute! :)
You mentioned only two changes, the LM318 and C9..
The correct implementation -or at least 'classic' with LM318 was originally with C9, yes, but also without that 1kohm resistor and instead R39 (470k), R43(22k), C34 (27pF) re-implemented.
So how does your build looks like now, what of these is there what is not..