My_Ref Fremen Edition - Build thread and tutorial

If you were doing a survey - Uriah's Lighter Note LDR is my top electronic attenuator for a no-gain solution.

The JC-2 clone from eBay provides all the push I need for higher volumes. I does add just a bit of its own color but sounds better than a Carver C2 and anything else I have owned.

I haven't built or heard a B1 of any flavor yet, so I can't make a comparison.

Last edited:
I have ldr integrated with input selector. It is not that asvanced like Uriah own one but sounds good indeed. I never ever needed till now push amps hard enough so my (unity gain ?) Pre is good.
I just noticed how every single part we add change sound.
I cannot call myself extremely sensitive person but I do hear differences in sound my wife does not.

Good morning to everyone.
I put another pre (LDR based) in front of the FE.
Used to have B1 with obbligato and russian pio caps. Been rolling caps for some time there and sound was changing in all directions: from lean to full, from congested to open. All in all I could no find right balance of the caps and audible picture I like 100%.
So now it is LDR. Everything is nice, clear and bass is incredible. But somehow 3d imaging front to back placement of instruments shrunk to the point I hear just stereo.
Question: if I d opt for c13 roll which cap would give tiny bit more sparkle and open imaging ?

I ll do dac soon with buffer on output so it could help, but would like to try to tune cap just out of curiosity.
I ll start from russian k71-4 which I have on hands.

I would like to ask if you combine two or more caps, is there room to improve the sound?

Hi All

Some further comments on Pre’s

I’ve had a few days to spare and have used them to explore my pre amp collection connected to the MYREF FE.

My initial preference was for the DCB1 but with a longer listening session (sessions) my opinion has changed a little.

This sound just wonderful

http://www.hificollective.co.uk/kits/passivetvc_description.html

And plays into the strengths of the FE very well.:cool:

Huge 3D soundstage and great dynamics with a natural tonal balance.:bullseye:

I’VE used the Glasshouse AVC plenty with my Tube builds but kind of forgot about it now that I’m more in SS land. But this is a really good sounding unit with great top to bottom clarity which edges the DCB1 just a little in my set up.(and of course is a little more expensive)

Incredible Slam, focus and vocal projection.:bullseye:

I must try my C core version next:)

Whilst waiting for my components to arrive I had a read through the original MYREF thread and remember someone describing the original as a ‘’Budget amp’’.

That must have been a joke

The FE is sounding fantastic

Whilst waiting for my components to arrive I had a read through the original MYREF thread and remember someone describing the original as a ‘’Budget amp’’.

That must have been a joke

The FE is sounding fantastic

The My_Ref, even in its original form, has never been a 'budget amp' (soundwise).

People that wrote so probably have ruined it with a really poor component selection.

The FE, though, it's not a small improvement over the original My_Ref.

The My_Ref, even in its original form, has never been a 'budget amp' (soundwise).

People that wrote so probably have ruined it with a really poor component selection.

The FE, though, it's not a small improvement over the original My_Ref.

Hi Dario

Yes or wrote without listening which does happen:( making comments only on what they think the amp sounds like.

My build has taken a little time to really settle down.

Sometimes even going backward a little but you mentioned that and I really appreciate your honesty with regard to burn in and what to expect.

it helped

I’ve used Black Gates plenty and expect to wait for the goodness to happen but that Isotek cd you mentioned really helped to ''speed things up a little''.

Your FE edition of the MYREF is sounding very good and a real audio gem:cool:

I’m glad that I built this amp.:)

Which is why my name is down for the 3rd GB.

It’s super quality sound wise and well thought out.

Well done

Shoom it is much more expensive :)
I d love to try it though

Hi Ivan

He sells the transformers separately so just add your own box and switch which saves a little cash.

I did it that way and then bought the nice little box that goes with them after I’d assessed the sound.

The Glasshouse units are good and I’ve read made by Prometheus but to a slightly different recipe.

I’ve seen some TVC on eBay but I’ve not heard any so can’t say on SQ.

I’ve thought about trying some but those TVC should be wound to tight tolerances so I worried a little about quality.

Anyone heard any of those Chinese TVC?

Don't want to wander too far off topic, but there is a new version of the JC-2 pre that I use. E bay no longer allows direct links to items, so if you are interested put the following in your browser address or search bar. It has three discrete pieces.

Should be a nice match for the FE

Modular stereo preamplifier JC-2 kit premium parts ultimate performance

Don't want to wander too far off topic, but there is a new version of the JC-2 pre that I use. E bay no longer allows direct links to items, so if you are interested put the following in your browser address or search bar. It has three discrete pieces.

Should be a nice match for the FE

Modular stereo preamplifier JC-2 kit premium parts ultimate performance

Hi Bob

Yes I have one of those kits on order for use with another amp (also JC-80 boards) but it's hard to see how the FE needs gain.

seems pretty sensitive to me.

Jim's stuff is usually ok so it should be an interesting start point.:cool: