My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Based on my experience, the pads should work fine as spacers at the slow rotation you describe. Once you remove the loose debris from cutting them out, they shouldn't shed anything else into the bath. Good luck.

The pads are working great! They are gripping better than anything else I've tried and are not shedding any material into the tank. Cleaned about 55-60 records today with no issues.

Also, nice looking Ammo Can Cleaner Tom! Love it!

Love the Ammocan RecordRescue, Tom!
More info, please.
What caliber/size can?
It looks like the only thing "mounted" is the hinge. True? Does it seem strong/durable enough for the task?
A parts list would be awesome.

And most importantly, how are the record-cleaning results?

Thanks for the comment. The ammo can is listed as US Military M548 1500 CRTG 7.62 MM large ammo can. 7 1/4" wide X 14" high X 17 1/4" long.

I used a locking table leg hinge and although it does the trick, it has a little give in it side to side which creates a downhill slant in my spindle of about 1/8". Aside from that is very sturdy.

The records I have cleaned look much better than hand cleaning and the pops and cracks seem reduced. I wonder about the effectiveness of cleaning more than 2 records in the bath as the ultrasonic wave patterns in the water are greatly reduced when multiple vinyl is inserted, the patterns are more prominent when one record is used. Not sure it the ultrasonic patterns represent cleaning power. Anyway, thanks for the questions.

Perhaps a bit dramatic, I sawed the end of the BBQ skewer that couples with the motor (mine was also square). I took that short piece and was able to drill and thread the rod into it. In this case, my 1/4" rod ends were smaller than the skewer ends which were quite thick. Thus, a whole could be drilled. Hope this helps.

Inspired by this thread, I built a cleaner using a 40khz machine I purchased on ebay. I am not all that impressed with its effectiveness. To be fair, my record collection is in good condition and I have used a Nitty Gritty machine for years. PDR, I am curious if you have ever used a 40khz machine and would like to know what kind of improvement you found?

I've never had one to compare, sorry.

Hi,

I have a rotisserie motor which has a square 5/16" insert, and I need to fashion a 9/32 W1 12" long drill rod into this. Any ideas on how to couple the two together? Any inserts I could use to couple the two together?

It was a task for me to dream a coupling up. I was on the lookout for a
rotisserie skewer as well. What I did come up with was using the extension rods that come with some hanging light fixtures. They came in an assorted length package for about $4 at Home Depot. They were slightly bigger than the square insert. Some carefull filing and they came together perfectly. You could epoxy them together if you wanted, mine are friction fit together. Drill a hole and a small set screw, or cotter pin...good to go.

Last edited:
It was a task for me to dream a coupling up. I was on the lookout for a
rotisserie skewer as well. What I did come up with was using the extension rods that come with some hanging light fixtures. They came in an assorted length package for about $4 at Home Depot. They were slightly bigger than the square insert. Some carefull filing and they came together perfectly. You could epoxy them together if you wanted, mine are friction fit together. Drill a hole and a small set screw, or cotter pin...good to go.

Thanks, is that threaded piece a square insert with cylindrical opening on other side? I need to find an insert as my motor just has a recessed square. So, 9/32 is a good match for the spindle?

Last edited:
Thanks for the comment. The ammo can is listed as US Military M548 1500 CRTG 7.62 MM large ammo can. 7 1/4" wide X 14" high X 17 1/4" long.

I used a locking table leg hinge and although it does the trick, it has a little give in it side to side which creates a downhill slant in my spindle of about 1/8". Aside from that is very sturdy.

The records I have cleaned look much better than hand cleaning and the pops and cracks seem reduced. I wonder about the effectiveness of cleaning more than 2 records in the bath as the ultrasonic wave patterns in the water are greatly reduced when multiple vinyl is inserted, the patterns are more prominent when one record is used. Not sure it the ultrasonic patterns represent cleaning power. Anyway, thanks for the questions.
The cavitation you see when the tank is empty is without a load. Although you don't see the ripples in the water, it is normal because there is now a load, and the vinyl records are now absorbing and reflecting the vibrations.
Here is a video I posted on YouTube of an electric razor head being cleaned (at 51khz), and although you can not see the cavitation, it is absolutely there. Watch as the dirt and oils move thru the water/soap solution.
Vibrato Cleaning an Electric Razor - YouTube

All the best,
Louis
Vibrato, LLC.

The cavitation you see when the tank is empty is without a load. Although you don't see the ripples in the water, it is normal because there is now a load, and the vinyl records are now absorbing and reflecting the vibrations.
Here is a video I posted on YouTube of an electric razor head being cleaned (at 51khz), and although you can not see the cavitation, it is absolutely there. Watch as the dirt and oils move thru the water/soap solution.
Vibrato Cleaning an Electric Razor - YouTube

All the best,
Louis
Vibrato, LLC.

Thanks Louis for the education. I've been super happy with the Vibrato unit I bought form you.

For those who are not so DIY savy, the following on Epay and one of Louis's Vibrato cleaners and your set.
Ultrasonic Vinyl Record Cleaning Kit | eBay

I like the magnetic coupler they're using to mount the spindle! I'm trying to ID the part. There are magnetic bit holders that might work, or magnetic disc couplers. The former are cheap, the latter much more expensive.

B B

The shaft on the 5 RPH Herbach Rademan is only 1/8" where as the shaft shown on the 1 RPM Ebay model is either 6mm or 1/4". (Any one know of a 1/4" shafted 5 RPH motor?) For simplicity in design the direct attached method like the Ebay one would seem the way to go. However I suspect that the downward weight of 4 records, the record caddy and the drive components on the end of the motor shaft would eventually exert a premature failure of the motor bearings or shaft or both. To my mind have a supported drive shaft with the motor on one end and the attachment plate on the other would be a better alternative in the long run. In the link below figures 6 & 24 show a double bearing supported shaft and figures 5 & 12 show a single bearing supported shaft. (BTW I am not associated with any products mentioned in any of my posts)
Like BBFTX I am also very intrigued by the use of magnets in the setup.
https://www.servocity.com/html/1_50__aluminum_channel__585440.html#.VAIV-2t5mSM