My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Hi Kywoman,
Does that mean you are in Kentucky?

The angle and channel components were chosen because they tend to be available at most neighborhood hardware stores. They typically come in 4' lengths which you can then cut to size for the parts needed for your project. 4' long is plenty for the project if I remember correctly. You can order these types of items online, but they tend to be expensive when bought that way due to shipping costs.

I didn't provide exact measurements as I assumed folks would be using a variety of different UC tanks as their starting point.

The plated steel angle is 1"x1".

You'd be ok with ⅛" instead of 1/16" thick angle. It will make for a very sturdy and overly heavy setup, at slightly higher cost, but it could be made to work.

Let me know if you need more info.
B B

I don't see where the 1x1 plated steel angle comes into the build, assuming the z-max angle #ML24Z is used for the motor mount. I assume it's not a simple corner brace at HD.

HDepot has
3/4 in. W x 9/16 in. H x 96 in. L Aluminum C-Channel with 1/16 in. Thick
Model # 56870 Internet # 100338033 Store SKU # 797138 $10.97
The BOM calls for 1/2” - will the 9/16” throw things off? As you may have inferred, it’s unclear to me how it will fit until I have all the parts in front of me. ;)

Otherwise, I struck out at HD, Lowes, and Ace for the aforementioned parts. No one had any suggestions on other local stores that would carry the spindle and Al channel/angle.

I am a born and raised Kentuckian! But currently in NC.

Thanks!

9/16" should work fine as the inside edge will be aligned against the tank. HD & Lowes should have all the aluminum stock in or near the hardware aisle. You may have to walk around. You do not have to buy in 96" lengths as they have shorter lenghts too. If you are not able or do not want to cut the stock you can go to a metal supply to buy and the guys will do it for a minimum charge if any. Also refer to post #240 of this thread in which BBFTX gives a good overall view of his design plus pictures.

Last edited:
I'm using a similar home brew to yours with the exception of a couple drops of Palmolive in place of photo flo. I also run my fluid temps a little higher at 120*.

I suggest you will benefit - with no downside - increasing the %age of alcohol to 30 - 50%. And if you don't want to buy/use 'Photoflo', use the blue dishwashing 'RinsAid' stuff instead of dishwashing detergent. (Photoflo is a surfectant, not a detergent.)

Regards,

Andy

Heres my take.
Yes its a BBQ rotisserie, and yes its 1 rpm.
The models I've seen in person are about the same rotation.
The parts cost was about $75.00.
With the Vibratto, the total cost was about $475.00, hard to beat.

A filter seems to be the next step.
Thanks to everyone for the great inspiration.
DIY rules.

I suggest you will benefit - with no downside - increasing the %age of alcohol to 30 - 50%. And if you don't want to buy/use 'Photoflo', use the blue dishwashing 'RinsAid' stuff instead of dishwashing detergent. (Photoflo is a surfectant, not a detergent.)

Regards,

Andy

Thanks for the suggestion Andy, I might try increasing the %of alcohol. Since I preheat 48 ounces of my fluid to 170* and mix into the tank to bring the temp up more quickly, I've been cautious about over use of alcohol. There could be a downside I don't want to experience. I have, and have used photoflo but seem to get better results with a couple drops of Palmolive.

Last edited:
Heres my take.

DIY rules.

Nice build, can you share your parts list?

Not much to it really.

3 pcs 1-1/2x 1-1/2" alum angle 12" long
1 pc 3/4"x 3/4" alum angle 3" long
piano hinge 12"
1/4" brass rod
2 pcs x 2" hollow threaded rod and nuts
about 25 pcs 1" wafer head screws
1 pc set screw
BBQ rotisserie motor

Cleaned about 15 albums so far.
This gizmo works VERY well....:D

Perry

Limit Isopropyl Alcohol concentration

I suggest you will benefit - with no downside - increasing the %age of alcohol to 30 - 50%.

Andy

There is a downside --- risk of explosion.
I would strongly suggest no one use more than a few percent of isopropyl in an ultrasonic cleaner. You can't use much, because the ultrasonic transducers can be a source of ignition if there is a high percentage of IPA vapors in the air.
( Most manufacturers say don't use any IPA in their cleaners for liability concerns. There is a reason for that!)

Cheers,
B B

There is a downside --- risk of explosion.
I would strongly suggest no one use more than a few percent of isopropyl in an ultrasonic cleaner. You can't use much, because the ultrasonic transducers can be a source of ignition if there is a high percentage of IPA vapors in the air.
( Most manufacturers say don't use any IPA in their cleaners for liability concerns. There is a reason for that!)

Cheers,
B B

Aah, OK. Very good point, BB - thank you for correcting my erroneous statement.

Andy

Counterweighting

I don't see where the 1x1 plated steel angle comes into the build, assuming the z-max angle #ML24Z is used for the motor mount.

kywoman, my wife and daughter are both UNC Tarheels. Nice state for sure.

I used the 1x1 steel angle as counterweight on the sides of my frame opposite the arm mount. See the attached photo of the underside of my frame and perhaps it will be more clear. I also added a length of steel bar on the short end as additional counterweighting. The arm, loaded with records, is fairly heavy and off-center when it's raised, so some counterweight is necessary for stability.
There are lots of ways to skin this cat, so don't feel locked in to how I did things.
Best regards,
B B

kywoman, my wife and daughter are both UNC Tarheels. Nice state for sure.

I used the 1x1 steel angle as counterweight on the sides of my frame opposite the arm mount. See the attached photo of the underside of my frame and perhaps it will be more clear. I also added a length of steel bar on the short end as additional counterweighting. The arm, loaded with records, is fairly heavy and off-center when it's raised, so some counterweight is necessary for stability.
There are lots of ways to skin this cat, so don't feel locked in to how I did things.
Best regards,
B B

Gotchya. Thanks for the location and purpose! Somehow I also missed your earlier statement "On the side and end of the frame opposite the hinged arm, I've added a fair bit of steel as counterweighting."

I finally found the aluminum pieces on the 5th store the other day. Only available in 8' section, but I was so glad to finally find it, didn't much matter...

Few other questions:
Is there a reason you made notches in the C channel where you added screws?

Record label protectors - any further thoughts to cork alternatives?

Felt - trying to find some waterproof shock absorber. This Isolate It stuff is overpriced, but may be good. Or just some really thin weather-stripping?

Might be heresy, but I don't follow collegiate sports much, despite stints at UK and Duke, school and work, respectively. Great music has come out of both Austin and the Chapel Hill / Durham area!

Heres my take.

DIY rules.

The Rotisserie Motor is a great idea! I like the light that comes with it - do you use the light at all?
Any way to modify the motor or gears for a slower rotation?
Great to hear you are happy with it.
Louis Steele
Vibrato, LLC.

Few other questions:
Is there a reason you made notches in the C channel where you added screws?

Record label protectors - any further thoughts to cork alternatives?

Felt - trying to find some waterproof shock absorber. This Isolate It stuff is overpriced, but may be good. Or just some really thin weather-stripping?

For shock absorption, a busted bike tire inner-tube may be work perfectly. Pliable, water-proof, the price is right. The build is still a few weeks out, will update once I have a chance to try it.