My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

You can get a brine shrimp net that is capable of capturing everything you can see, and smaller. I think they go down to about 250 mesh. The actual openings in that mesh are only about 65 microns wide --- It will capture particles smaller than you can see.
Best regards,
B B

Cleaning Solution Evaporation

I have another question: how much time does the 1/20 part of isoproryl alchool take to evaporate, considering that I always cover the tank after cleaning?

One of the interesting things about isopropyl and water mixtures is that the isopropyl doesn't evaporate faster than the water. Typically, as your question implies, one would expect the more volatile component (the isopropyl) to evaporate more quickly than the water. But, mixing isopropyl and water creates an azeotrope, which means the two can't be separated by vaporization.

The mix ratio of the unvaporized liquid solution is equal to that of the vaporized solution! So, the water and IPA ratio remains constant in your tank even as liquid evaporates.

If you're obsessed about keeping the mix ratios the same as the liquid evaporates and you need to refill, you should add both water and IPA in whatever ratio you want to keep. But it's not absolutely necessary. I usually just top off with purified water during my sessions. I don't tend to keep the cleaning solution after a long cleaning session. I dump it, but I can understand trying to make it last longer.
Cheers,
B B

Last edited:
Cleaning Solution Evaporation

Thanks bbftx

I had the same question about alcohol evaporation

What about Photo Flo?
does it evaporate

I just started using Photo Flo so unsure of how it lasts

I typically clean 30 to 50 LPs at a time over one-two day period

Thanks for all you have added to this discussion

my LPs also thank you for it - they are so clean now

Hi Laiphroaig,
Always glad to hear about happy LPs...

Photo Flo shouldn't disappear/vaporize at all from the liquid solution. It's completely miscible in water (it is 70% water) and the other main ingredient, propylene glycol, has a higher boiling point than water. Plus, I don't think much of it should be used to begin with -- just a drop or two. So, I would anticipate that you don't need to add any more photo flo to a cleaning solution over time.
Good Luck,
B B

I just built a US cleaner using a 50k 6L Chinese unit. I used the cleaning mixture mentioned 1.5 gallons distilled, 3 oz 90% IPA and 3 drops Triton x 114. I was actually dissapointed with the results as I could still see smudge points on the records I cleaned. Should I be adding a little liquid soap or? Any thoughts would be appreciated. My rotation speed is 5 rph.

Hi ZG,
The first place to look is at the ultrasonic machine. Can you post a link to the unit you bought? There are a lot of inexpensive units from China that don't work well, unfortunately.
You should try a foil test to see if the machine is actually working properly. Look toward the bottom of this webpage for a description of the test:

Ultrasonic Cleaner Foil Test
Don't use the DI water or cleaning fluid for cleaning LPs after you've done a foil test.

There's no reason to add soap. Proper ultrasonic cavitation cleans without soap.
Good luck
B B

Greetings,
Attached is a parts list for Version 2 of my Ultrasonic Record Cleaning (URC) system.
The is an economical and sturdy setup to clean vinyl LPs using ultrasonic cleansing action.
Doing a quick add-up of the costs, it looks like I spent about $115 for parts, above and beyond the cost of the ultrasonic cleaner.
Adding the pump and filter detailed earlier in this thread adds about $50 in parts cost.

I'm happy to answer any additional questions about the setup.

Cheers,
B B

Many thanks for the PDF! I was noting that on the Sonix website they list the ST136H at $890.

Ultrasonic cleaning equipment

Dental Supply

Many thanks for the PDF! I was noting that on the Sonix website they list the ST136H at $890.

Ultrasonic cleaning equipment

Hi Doc,
Don't buy direct from Sonix --- it's quite expensive since they did away with their eBay selling program. I'm sure their distributors didn't like being undercut on price by the manufacturer.

Medical and dental supply companies sell the ST136H for around $600. That's the most economical way to buy the unit these days.

Cheers,
B B