My open baffle dipole with Beyma TPL-150

Understand how you could think that about many paper cones, the SS illuminators I am using in an active setup don't have that typical doey paper cone sound, they are very sharp but still exhibit a warmth about them.

if you do go with the Neo 8 or 10 don't pair them with the Neo 3 that is how I first heard them they sound woeful, the Neo 3 were replaced by the AMT which made a much better pairing but still fall well short of my RAAL 140D

I heard the RAAL is no good below 3000kHz. The Transmission Audio 50cm/1" alu true ribbon certainly sound weak below 3000kHz, compared to the AMT, which is powerful down to 1500Hz.

I might give the SS a try.
Found this article. 6" SS illuminators as bassdriver?? He should have used it for midrange only: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Illuminator-Monitor.htm

Last edited:
While I am using the SS I don't know if I couldn't really recommend them. Here's why... I am running an active 4 way, The 18WUs lacks the vocal precision to run it all the way up to the RAAL tweeter, the 12MUs fills the vocal gap perfectly and compliments the 18WUs very nicely, but you wind up like a kid with a mouth full of teeth, with drivers every where.

Seems almost like a waste of a couple of drivers because they are so tightly joined. I like the RAALs set between 3-4k but the 12MUs are really not getting a chance to shine.

What I think would be interesting would be to couple the RAALs to some Neo 10s.

I have been spending a lot of time getting to know the minidsp 4x10HD last weekend and it is difficult to make a driver really sing, when you cut it off only a few hundred Hz above from where it started to play, so I know what you mean.

StigErik prefer the TPL-150 over the Neo8, and the Neo8 and the Neo10 apparently sound similar in the range 1200-3500Hz, so I doubt a neo10 will sound better between 1200-3500Hz than a TPL-150. It would however reduce the amount of crossover points, and that might let the drivers "sing" easier.

Last edited:
I heard the RAAL is no good below 3000kHz. The Transmission Audio 50cm/1" alu true ribbon certainly sound weak below 3000kHz, compared to the AMT, which is powerful down to 1500Hz.

I might give the SS a try.
Found this article. 6" SS illuminators as bassdriver?? He should have used it for midrange only: Illuminator-Monitor

That pairing would make a nice little bookshelf, but I would struggle to build it without the 12MU because it is the cherry on the top of the ice cream. The 18WU is no slouch in the base department (maybe not OB) but the poor cousin (the Revelator) is used in many speakers as a woofer.

Sorry never heard the TPL150 to give fair comparison.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
"Hverken Neo3 eller Neo 8 kan sammenlignes med TPL150 på noe vis synes jeg, og jeg foretrekker TPL150 foran de to." - You.

:)

"Neither Neo3 nor Neo 8 can be compaired with the TPL150, IMHO, and I prefer TPL150 over the two."

Exactly what I did say, they cant be compared one by one, only a Neo8+Neo3 combo with x-over can cover the same frequency range as the TPL150H. But yes, the TPL150H is higher on my list than that combo.

That goes for non-dipole designs. In the dipole world, the TPL150 is far too big physically.

Last edited:
Back to the TPL-150 vs Mundorf. I found an old thread from 2007, where someone called theStig writes: "It is considerably more off-axis response than vertically with the 4 ribbon I used before, so I've been forced to get acoustic panels to have on the floor. The increased vertical response is a disadvantage I think."

If this is who I think it is, what made you change your mind about the dispersion pattern? Since the thread is so old, I guess the 4" ribbon is not the TPL-150.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
I've changed my mind about a lot of things after I started with dipoles yes.... one of them being polar pattern.

Its still true however that floor (and ceiling) bounce is a problem which increases with greater vertical dispersion. The best solution is line-source speakers like the RD-75.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
mates, or not ?

While I am using the SS I don't know if I couldn't really recommend them. Here's why... I am running an active 4 way, The 18WUs lacks the vocal precision to run it all the way up to the RAAL tweeter, the 12MUs fills the vocal gap perfectly and compliments the 18WUs very nicely, but you wind up like a kid with a mouth full of teeth, with drivers every where.

Seems almost like a waste of a couple of drivers because they are so tightly joined. I like the RAALs set between 3-4k but the 12MUs are really not getting a chance to shine.

What I think would be interesting would be to couple the RAALs to some Neo 10s.

My experience has been [that] a cone driver that is adaquate enough to deliver the "tone" of quality lower mid-range never mates well with a planar/ribbon
tweeter. Mating the RAAL's to the Neo 10 could work, but I'd be tempted to load that Neo 10 into a curved sided waveguide to give it the "lift" it would require for the warm tone fundamentals of the kind of lower mid-range I like.
granted, others do NOT like my lower mid-range, as they prefer what I [also] think is a "sterile" sound. To each their own I say - it's what makes the world spin around :)