My new CD-Shuttle!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: .zip file ready!

mrjam said:
I've finished the translations and some refinements so now the file is ready.

I'll send it to all those put the email adress visible. ;)
The other ones have to reply writing their email! :whazzat:

Hi Roberto, Fantastic engineering I especially like the suspension, very elegant, how about some background on your choice of materials? This is my first post but I have been following your shuttle with great interest, and have decided to make a transport my next project, so if possible a copy of your files for me to please.
Cheers Steve. Steve-preston@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi spresto9

Which materials you want to have information?:confused:

I started to send emails with the .zip, are they arriving? Any problem opening files?

Just another picture of the big psu black box:

Attachments

• psu_open.jpg
    psu_open.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 2,255
mrjam said:
Hi spresto9

Which materials you want to have information?:confused:

I started to send emails with the .zip, are they arriving? Any problem opening files?

Just another picture of the big psu black box:

Hi Roberto, thank you all files safe and sound on problems.
The question about materials was more about why you chose the materials you did. Thanks again for sharing with all of us your most professional project.
Steve.

I am busy with a 4 times paralled dac in a CDP and made a new cabinet for the CDM and pcb's. But after the first sight of yours MRJAM, I FELL OFF MY CHAIR!! Whow! (it was a good thing i could hold me on the mouse-wire, otherwise i would have a huge bump on my head)

Absolutely faboulous work done Mrjam !

Btw, my humble CDM-2 is decoupled with 3 self made rubber suspensions (made from a soft rubber tube of a Toyota cooling system!!) The CDP itself stands on feet with rubber O-rings lathed in it. With stethoscope the decoupling of all frequencies is huge now. Thougt of magnetic stands too, but maybe later.

Now will go further with a pcb for the clock overhere. Will have a hole in my hand about tomorrow from all agressive chemicals....

materials

My choices about materials and components:

DARK THICK ACRILIC - heavy and damped plastic, veeery beautifull!

THICK ALLUMINUM - heavy and robust, brushed and anodyzed (black and silver)

MAGNETS used in the suspension - from little stock speakers (mostly used in pc chinese speakers)

COPPER FOIL - to build shields underneath the main board, above its digital section and around the display board

FEET DAMPING - sand, various types of rubber and a soft ball (those used on the beach to play a sort of tennis)

EI TRANSFORMERS with added copper shield (have better isolation than toriodals, magnetic fields are not a problem in a separate box)

PANASONIC FC caps in the first stage of supply, SANYO OSCONs, VISHAY MKP and X7R SMD MULTILAYER caps in other supply stages and for decoupling, X7R SMD MULTILAYER caps for DC blocking on digital signals

LOW NOISE METAL FILM 1% toll - 15ppm/degree C resistors in critical positions (super-regulators - signal path), the others are 1% 100ppm

LM317-337 for the first regulation

SUPER-REGULATORS FOR: 5V supply of CDPRO, 5V supply of reclocking section, 5V supply of XO - They use a MAX6225 low noise voltage reference for both two NE5534A and a AD797 opamps which drive shunt regulation bipolar transistors

A HCT series D-type FLIP-FLOP reclocks the spdif signal (VHC type doesn't work because SAA7324 output a 3.3V ebu signal, so a ttl input is imperative)

A DS26LS31 RS422 driver feeds the Balanced digital output through a SS22133 low-capacitance shielded digital transformer

A 74HCU74 feeds the unbal 75OHM-BNC and RCA outputs through two SS22133 transformers

The clock generator is a low-jitter TENTLABS XO 8.4672 MHz damped with a 4 silicone o-rings suspension

The main pcb is double side with top layer used as ground plane

The lid is moved by a BELT (from an old printer), the relative gears and a little MOTOR (from a old cd-rom drive) – operations are directed by a MICROCHIP PIC 16F84A (reliable and easy to use) which drives a H-BRIDGE for the motor and some leds

CDPRO is TWEAKED: army greeen mat enamel on the pick-up body and on the side of the lens (very dangerous!!), blue-tac on smd electrolitic capacitors, damping material on the metal parts, both onboard oscillator and spdif output attenuator removed and connected to dedicated circuits with short twisted cables

:att'n: Anything else? :att'n:

cdpro suspension

Tubee ;)

The support is free to move only vertically, two iron axles in the center of two opposite magnets slide into teflon bushes (or bucklets :rolleyes: )
Low frequency vibrations (the worse ones) are not transmitted by the axles thanks to teflon!

ash_dac :whazzat: :whazzat:

Some time ago I enjoy myself with RC 1/8 racing cars, so I know very well those kind of shocks.
I think thay're useless for a cd gear suspension:
1- too much parts transmit vibrations: pivot, pistons, spring - this last resonates :eek:
2- the area of contact (=transmission) is greater in comparison to the magnetic type
3- using model's shocks you need additional parts to hold in position the cdpro... so more vibrations!
4- Do you think shocks are effective at the frequency range harmful for the cd gear?

Here's a picture of CDPRO on the support (before circuit mods):

Attachments

• mech_supp_top_before_reclk.jpg
    mech_supp_top_before_reclk.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,873
Yes, indeed. Thanks!

That was the info I was looking for.

My old player is showing signs of old age, and I am considering whether to to buy new (like Cambridge 640 v2 or the NAD542), or if I should finally try a DIY player. However, it will have to be in a rack, so I will have to build some sort of front-loading. I know I am not making life easier for myself this way, but it would certainly be a design criteria. One way would be to mount the drive vertically, as I have the height available in my rack (I think).

Jens

Roberto,

Nice work indeed. I have a CD-Pro2, and had been working on upgrades. Currently I am installing a brass support to the transport. I may consider your magnetic suspension as the rubber / spring suspension of mine is not really the best for the system.

In the mean time, would you please send the files to me for reference. I appreciate your kindness and sharing.

Regards,

e:h_c48@hotmail.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.