My idea for Flying Cap or Never-Connected PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Andre,

I was thinking along the same lines, problem is you need to charge the cap during the dead time or negative cycle. If one could use both cycles then of course a lot more energy can be transferred. E=1/2CV^2

One can maybe transfer positive half cycle to one cap, negative to the other and alternately to the output cap and twice the energy.

Mihai,

What about using super caps? Also I thing the control circuitry could easily be achieved with a little micro.

Nico

Bidirectional switches are required because the input side must be able to float at least a few volts in both directions with respect to the output side. Switch capacitance is critical because the "never connected" principle is a fallacy. Switch capacitance is always connecting the input side to the output side at high frequencies. A mains transformer with low input-output capacitance could just do as good or better.

Remember that the point of this circuit is to allow an AC potential (hypothetical noise) between input terminals and output terminals. A combination of common-mode and differential-mode filtering can do the same in a much simpler way.

Nico:
I'm currently developing my first class D amplifier for the professional audio market (several thousand watts, efficiencies approaching 95%, small form factors...) I think there are other ways to innovate. Linear power supplies and amplifiers are already somewhat outdated.

Eva said:
Linear power supplies and amplifiers are already somewhat outdated.

The best amplifiers today are linear, based on tubes or SS. Tomorrow? we never know ... we will see
Question. Isn't necessary an input and an output port (two nodes) for common noise to get trough? We don't talck about very high freq. noise which can get through air ...

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
You need 4 switches for this to work properly.

The first 2 switches close and connect the cap across a rectified and smoothed DC source, while the 2nd pair of switches are open. During this phase, the flying capacitor is charged.

You then open the first two switches and close the 2nd pair, connecting the flying cap to a storage cap which supplies the load.

This approach completely isolates the input source voltage from the load.

In the arrangement described above, both the supply rail and the ground rail are switched to provide isolation.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member

The first 2 switches close and connect the cap across a rectified and smoothed DC source, while the 2nd pair of switches are open. During this phase, the flying capacitor is charged.

You then open the first two switches and close the 2nd pair, connecting the flying cap to a storage cap which supplies the load.

This approach completely isolates the input source voltage from the load.

In the arrangement described above, both the supply rail and the ground rail are switched to provide isolation.

Exactly Charles : " but you have to be aware that the only problems you may "filter" out that way is common mode noise problems. "
This is the most important feature about this kind of schematics !
Maybe explain Eva how do you reach exact the opposite conclusion ?

I think you misjudged the issue here .
Nothing personal , but always everyone must decide what or which is the most important source of noise he want to address about a psu : is it the common mode noise or semiconductor noise from psu or the rf coming from ac lines ?
All ?

Nico Ras said:
Soft switching would mean big power dissipation as your are operating the devices in linear mode.

Nico:

Unfortunately switching will generate its own noise and power losses, and to address this the switching action ideally should incorporate some type of "soft switching" technique.

However, you don't need to change the switching devices into linear mode to accomplish this. You can modify the configuration of the primary energy storage device from a simple capacitor into a partially resonant network, and this will take care of the major problems.

regards and hth, jonathan carr

Here is something to start playing with.

Firstly in the circuit from above thread there is a timing overlap when charging the caps thus you will still get AC noises coming through. I used two op-amps with thresholds set so that the time to charge the next cap is slightly less than one half cycle, thus charging of the output cap is clean.

I used power transistors to switch and the circuit is good for amps, not milli amps, however the op-amp is driven of the input circuit and thus transformer voltage must be selected not to kill the op-amp, else some plans need be put into place.

The final stage consists of a capacitance multiplier to get rid of all the ripple and it is followed by my favorite virtual earth which splits the supply, in this case into +12 and -12 rails.

I have not built anything yet but will do this when I get back to work and have PCB facilities available and can have transformers wound etc.

Anyway this is my contribution so far, you are welcome to comment, make changes or whatever. This is only a concept and could well work very nicely, it is based on the previous designers thread (I think it was John Carr).

Kind regards

Nico

Attachments

• floating cap.pdf
    16.3 KB · Views: 115
Just a final comment, 100 Hz ripple will still be present since it relies on 100Hz charges.

I have inserted asymmetrical noise, i.e. just in one leg at any frequency, it does not appear at the output at all.

The noises was similar to commutation and switching transients.

Bonsai said:

Which is pretty much a switched capacitor filter. I see little reason why such an arrangement would be here more efficient that a classic analog filter, that can be here a common mode choke.

BTW this is not my design and I am not particularly interested in it for a practical application. I was only curious about the idea and I can see merit in it.

It would probably have the same effect as running from an SMPS. I currently run my listening amps off +-50V 20 Amp @ 100 kHz SMPS and I will never go back.

syn08 said:

Which is pretty much a switched capacitor filter. I see little reason why such an arrangement would be here more efficient that a classic analog filter, that can be here a common mode choke.

Very true.

In the end we get a switched capacitor power filter, which performs the same job as an analog power filter but at a much higher cost and complexity.

But, do they know what a switched capacitor filter is? It was invented a long time ago...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.