My Glass TB871 Build / Discussion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All,

If any of you have been following all my random threads all over the place I finally found stuff I can work with. My matched drivers have arrived from Dave at Planet 10.. He ships fast and packages it really nicely.
Anyhow, I found a glass bottle at IKEA. It has a internal volume of 1.5L and the glass is slightly thicker than standard wine bottles. I am planning to stuff this with fibrefill and mount the drivers in the opening. It will be completely 100% sealed.

Now my questions are whether the slightly smaller internal volume would affect my sound quality / frequency response (I believe padded can reduce volume by 10%?) also, would epoxy be a good mounting glue or silicone be better?

Thanks for following. I'll post pics.. hopefully once I get everything in place.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Glad to hear the drivers arrived.

The 1st 871S drivers i ever saw were mointed in 1 litre boxes... you might not get the most bass possible out of them, but they'll be fine, Stuffing can get you 10-30%, but too much will tend to degrade the sonics,

I wouldn't use anything to attach them that you can't somehow get them out. If you aren't going to affix a small baffle to screw the drivers in with, then silicon seal would be my 1st choice.

dave

The Fs is 110 Hz no? That means your impedance is around 12-14 ohms at 80 Hz so about a 200 mfd cap for a first order. Are you sure you want it that low? Are you using the notch filter shown?

Attachments

• picture 1a.jpg
    picture 1a.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 361
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
nukaidee said:
Alright, my glass tubes/bottles are ready at 1.8L, they're a little over the 1.66 vas of the drivers. I think I'll need a HPF at approx 80hz. what value of capacitor will I need?

Trying to do a passive at that frequency is very difficult as that is right near system resonance. Better to put a cap in front of the amplifier.

dave

Oh jeez. ran into a problem.. I just realized i cannot run my wires out of the bottle! you think I can lift it with a 3" automotive gasket of sorts?

oh side note, I think I want to keep them standing upright, I think this might have an adverse effect on my high frequencies, I know sometimes people place a cone / V shaped object over the driver to help bounce the sounds? is there a name for that?

thanks

no no, i planned for it to be a sealed bottle, smaller volume needed. i'll have to get pictures over the weekend. Its just the driver frame rests perfectly on the sides of the bottle and now there is no room for me to snake wires out ><! i tried connecting it to a little bluetooth and battery amp i had.. it was cool, glass bottle making sound without wires, but that is not a feasible design...

change of plans! i just built one and decided it sounds so nice I'm just going to use it as a center speaker. so now my new plan is to use these and 2 center speakers. (my onkyo sv727 has that feature) .. my setup is unconventional. my mainspeakers and sub are behind me, so its nice to have these 2 little ones on my desk. now im totally surrounded in bliss =) Guess I won't need a cap or anything either, my drivers are facing up so I think the notch filter is not really needed since i'm off axis and in "normal" pro logic mode only 100hz and up are sent to it =)

They look really cool that way except an open voice coil facing upwards risks damage from dust and debris being funneled into the gap between the phase plug and cone. Not trying to rain on yer parade.
What is the metal ring on top of the speaker? Really finishes it off nicely.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.