My fully active 4 way OB with 8 Drivers + 15" subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
But for our type of processing D/A, probably the lag time of the USB type isn't a problem.
If you go linear phase bus latency will be swamped by processing latency anyway. Anecdotal data suggests Firewire is more reliable than USB2 despite USB's higher bandwidth and support for reserving isochronous bandwidth. I've not looked at the Firewire protocol in enough detail to speculate on why that's the case.

Motu828mKIII and traveller etc can do onboard EQ without PC attached but it would be phase warping.
Correct.

Both Motu and Focusrite (and others) can be configured to do what we need (ie. EQs, shelving filters etc) but this would need to occur PC side using VST plugins in order for this solution to be linear phase. But this solution must maintain PC in the loop for processing.
Correct.

I can appreciate we don't care about the ADC processes but aren't the same DAC and preamp used for the DA conversion and output circuit? :confused:
I'm not quite sure I understand the question. ADCs and DACs are separate circuitry and are often separate chips, though codecs like the CS4272 in the Saffire 40 include both functional blocks on the same die. I'm not aware of any audio interface where a given analog connector is multiplexed for both input and output---I'm sure there are some out there, but none of the ones under discussion here do that---but it'd take some funky analog switching to turn the buffer op amps fronting the ADC around for DAC operation. A typical configuration is the signal paths for the ins and outs are distinct from start to finish. The manufacturer may or may not choose to spec the same op amp part in the in and out signal paths, but distinct chips are stuffed on the board and a given in and out likely route through separate packages.

Couldn't the Motu be used just like the Focusrite interface? Just need to use the proper non-phase warping VSTs?
Yes, though if you're planning to do PC side processing there may not be a compelling reason to spend the extra for a Motu. B stock Saffires are cheap on eBay.

Your comments seem to indicate but I would like to confirm; Are the provided Focusrite EQ VST's the non-warping linear phase type?
Last I checked Focusrite's plugins were all warped phase. If you're set on using them you could use Thuneau Arbitrator to get linear phase crossovers but there are plenty of other good warped phase EQ VSTs around. Thuneau Allocator and Reaper's ReaEQ are a couple I've used and like, though the Saffire 40's rock solid so I'd be surprised if there were any issues with the VSTs. If you want linear phase EQ as well as linear phase crossovers you'll need something like ReaFIR (an odd name as it defaults to FFT and not FIR) or Refined Audometrics' PLParEQX3. In my experience, though, linear phase crossover + warped phase EQ is enough to get flat phase within measurement error.

And finally, can you provide a subjective opinions on the sound quality of Focusrite + PC + VST solution compared to DCX solution? It seems you have had both?
No comment. :p Haven't owned or physically seen a DCX, much less taken one apart and looked at the board.

The Focusrite gear definitely seems like a great price/performance and if the VSTs are good, it could be a winner for me. :up:
Can't comment here either; I purchased the full Allocator and do just about everything with it so I've actually never used the VSTs bundled with my Saffire. I could have saved USD 60 by using Focusrite's VSTs in combination with Arbitrator but I like the convenience of centralizing settings in Allocator and there are minor bit depth benefits to doing as much phase correction+crossover+EQ as practical in 64 bit manipulation within a single Allocator instance instead of forcing conversion in and out of 16 bit data between VSTs.

Full disclosure: I've developed a good working relationship with Jan at Thuneau over the past year and he's donated copies of Allocator Lite and Arbitrator to a small side project we have going. I paid full price for my copy of Allocator prior to that.

If I had the guts to do it, I would. But I would not know where to begin to undertake that kind of modification.
If you have access to a desoldering rig just pull the whole 8-SOIC off at once. If not, cut the pins, pull out the package body, and then desolder each pins. Clean pads and solder on the new part. One of the reasons I haven't modded the 40 is some of the SOICs are next to or in between rows of electrolytic caps and are a pain to get at with a knife or soldering iron. Expect your mileage to vary based on board layout.

I'm not quite sure I understand the question. ADCs and DACs are separate circuitry and are often separate chips, though codecs like the CS4272 in the Saffire 40 include both functional blocks on the same die. I'm not aware of any audio interface where a given analog connector is multiplexed for both input and output---I'm sure there are some out there, but none of the ones under discussion here do that---but it'd take some funky analog switching to turn the buffer op amps fronting the ADC around for DAC operation. A typical configuration is the signal paths for the ins and outs are distinct from start to finish. The manufacturer may or may not choose to spec the same op amp part in the in and out signal paths, but distinct chips are stuffed on the board and a given in and out likely route through separate packages.

OK... You'll have to go slow for me and I'll take your word for it because it sounds reasonable and I really have no idea what I'm talking about. :)

So, considering your comments, it seems unlikely that I can safely assume that most including those under discussion here are the same op amps for the output DAC. Might these manufactures use crappy parts for the outputs? ....most of these products only advertise 8 high quality pre-amps for the ADC?

Or maybe I'm still missing something bigger. Is the pre-amp input circuit completely different type of circuitry than the op-amp on the output circuits? (I.e. A high quality pre-amp for the mic inputs has little bearing on the sound quality of the output circuits?)

Last I checked Focusrite's plugins were all warped phase. If you're set on using them you could use Thuneau Arbitrator to get linear phase crossovers but there are plenty of other good warped phase EQ VSTs around. Thuneau Allocator and Reaper's ReaEQ are a couple I've used and like, though the Saffire 40's rock solid so I'd be surprised if there were any issues with the VSTs. If you want linear phase EQ as well as linear phase crossovers you'll need something like ReaFIR (an odd name as it defaults to FFT and not FIR) or Refined Audometrics' PLParEQX3. In my experience, though, linear phase crossover + warped phase EQ is enough to get flat phase within measurement error.

No comment. :p Haven't owned or physically seen a DCX, much less taken one apart and looked at the board.

Can't comment here either; I purchased the full Allocator and do just about everything with it so I've actually never used the VSTs bundled with my Saffire. I could have saved USD 60 by using Focusrite's VSTs in combination with Arbitrator but I like the convenience of centralizing settings in Allocator and there are minor bit depth benefits to doing as much phase correction+crossover+EQ as practical in 64 bit manipulation within a single Allocator instance instead of forcing conversion in and out of 16 bit data between VSTs.

Full disclosure: I've developed a good working relationship with Jan at Thuneau over the past year and he's donated copies of Allocator Lite and Arbitrator to a small side project we have going. I paid full price for my copy of Allocator prior to that.

Great. I can look into those tools/resources. :cheers:

Have you published your other new tread yet with all the juicy details of your current setup?

If you have access to a desoldering rig just pull the whole 8-SOIC off at once. If not, cut the pins, pull out the package body, and then desolder each pins. Clean pads and solder on the new part. One of the reasons I haven't modded the 40 is some of the SOICs are next to or in between rows of electrolytic caps and are a pain to get at with a knife or soldering iron. Expect your mileage to vary based on board layout.

Um... I don't think I'm brave enough to risk ruining my DCX or a new saphire interface. I can solder ends of speaker wires and other simple tasks but soldering on plastic surfaces might get me in big trouble. :D

Might these manufactures use crappy parts for the outputs?
Decent op amps like the 4565 are dirt cheap at volume so I doubt you'll find crappy op amps in midrange to high end pro audio interfaces. The input op amps might be higher spec or different spec depending on whether they're handling line in and or mic in. For example, I believe Focusrite uses 4565s on line in and out and 2122 on mic in on the Saffire 40. At least that would be the logical choice given the NJM2122's a low noise part and it's consistent with where they're placed on the board. But I haven't actually ohmed out the traces to be sure.

Is the pre-amp input circuit completely different type of circuitry than the op-amp on the output circuits?
The op amps may be the same but the circuits are different. Don't have a link to schematics handy but the input will usually be a standard differential to single ended conversion with a single op amp and the output the standard triple op amp pro audio circuit that's robust against different differential and single ended output configurations.

Have you published your other new tread yet with all the juicy details of your current setup?
Finished taking the data tonight, but it's time for bed so maybe tomorrow. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.