• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

My First Tube Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
1uF is the max recommended for coupling cap. Somewhere George(Tubelab) wrote a terrific post on why that is. IIRC it had to do with the corner frequency, saturation of the cap itself and time it takes to "recover" if I am describing it correctly. Also I think he went into why guitar amps tend to be 0.22uF or less and why hi-fi amps tend to be between 0.22 and 1.0uF.

I will try and dig it up...

JACKPOT!!!

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Alright, I'm going to change my input tubes from 6CG7's to 6DJ8's, I need a little more gain.
The manual shows the R10 value but that looks to be in the output section.
If I look at the input section the only value that looks to change would be the R3 & R4 but the voltage suggested for R3 & R4 is at 150V.
I am running @ 290V w/ 7.3 mA to my 6CG7's, @ 300V the chart shows 8mA to the 6DJ8 but that is set by R10 which is in the output section.

Will my higher voltage (290 vs 150) @ the R3&4 change the values needed for R3&4?
Should I just plug them in and hope for the best?

There doesn't seem to be much listed for changes in the input tubes.
The short of it is that I want to run a 6DJ8 @ 290V on the input of my glassware Aikido 9-Pin All in One.

Thanks

Joined 2011
Paid Member
SO.....for 6CG7 R10 @ 300V it shows about 83kR & 6DJ8 @ 300V it shows 87kR.
Since I'm mixing tubes should I just shoot for half?.....Say about 84.5kR?
Or does R10 only have something to do with the output tube (which is staying 6CG7) and I should leave it alone?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The manual shows Cathode R value for 6DJ8 between 100-330R but it doesn't say which R it is.
Pin 8 & 3 are cathode correct? That would mean R3&4 are the cathode resistors correct?
Should I go for somewhere around 200R then for R3&4?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.