My first speaker+amp build with Dayton RS100-4

Hi everyone !

I am new in this forum, and also in diy audio, so sorry in advance if there is a lack of technical informations/measures.

I would like to show you my first speaker build.
I must admit that after beginning to design a cabinet with speakerboxlite.com I found this article and chose to copy this design (for the technical part) since it was made with the full range drivers that I intended to use (the Dayton RS100-4).

My goal was to make small enough speakers with a small amplifier and a DAC to put on my desk and use them on my PC.
Since I didn’t like the design of the front panel with two ports, I changed the design a bit to cover them with fabric in a single slot.

For the amplifier / DAC part, I found the Up2stream Amp v3 from Arylic which turned out to be just perfect for me since it includes a DAC with Wifi, ethernet, bluetooth and usb inputs, plus a mini-jack analog input. It’s sold without a case, so I could do the design of my choice.

I have no measurements of the frequency response, but I can say that it was a big improvement over my Audioengine A2+ (It’s also not exactly the same size) and that I’m now just waiting for an opportunity to get into a new project.

I hope you’ll like it, well, at least the look since I didn't really design the rest of it ;-)

Some "not so nice" picture while it was made :

IMG_20210113_005108 (Grande).jpg
IMG_20210113_104805 (Grande).jpg
IMG_20210115_191747 (Grande).jpg
IMG_20210119_120133 (Grande).jpg
IMG_20210119_172225 (Grande).jpg
IMG_20210122_185812 (Grande).jpg
IMG_20210122_190632 (Grande).jpg
IMG_20210123_214134 (Grande).jpg

And some better photos made once it was finnished :

Brutal SoundSystem_01_20211213_0791 (Grande).jpg
Brutal SoundSystem_01_20211213_0800 (Grande).jpg
Brutal SoundSystem_01_20211213_0805 (Grande).jpg
Brutal SoundSystem_01_20211213_0813 (Grande).jpg
Brutal SoundSystem_01_20211213_0817 (Grande).jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Actually there is an EQ, but you have to buy ACPWorkbench wich let you customize the Up2stream from your PC by adding filters and other things that I didn't took the time to check in details.

For the filter inside of the cabinet, I copied the filter found in the article on werner007.de

Dayton-PC-SPK-Schaltplan-750x307.jpg

I draw it in Virtuix to see the effect, and it's apprently lowering the frequencies arround 3kHz in order to have a flatter frequency response curve.

What do you usually use to play music with it? Airplay? or Spotify?

Actually I'm mostly using the USB input since they are connected to my PC on my desk, but I'm sometime using the Wi-Fi input with DS Audio (synology's app) to read musics stored on my NAS or with Spotify.

I want to make a multiroom function with their products, may I know can I use one 4Stream APP to control all Arylic Devices?

Yes, the 4Stream App let you control multiple Arylic devices, but since I only have one for now, I never tried that ;-)

can they do multi-rooms with their products? I'm intrigued, maybe you know how much multi-room latency is?
How many devices can they connect to?
You can do multiroom, but I have no idea about the latency, and the max number of devices. They say that you can setup 10 zones, but I don't know if you can have multiple devices in one zone.

Is it Airplay 2 compatible?
I think that it is compatible airplay, but I'm not sure about airplay 2 ...

I wanted to find a wifi device for my system, it would be great if it has multiroom funcion, but for me, making a nice case is difficult, can you recommend some similar products? maybe also this brand?
They do sell finnished products. You cna check their wesite, the "DIY audio boards" are not the onnly products, there is also some Wireless streamers, preamplifiers and amplifiers. All of them have the same wireless functions.