My first pair of speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone i'm Mac, I have to say great forum, loads of usefull info and loads i dont understand!,
I'm at the early stages of building my first set of speakers, I'm not looking to spend alot of money (because its my first time) but I am aiming for decent quality. I bought a pair of morel mw142 5"woofers from a friend of a friend they are in good condition and havint seen much use, So I am planning a set of two way speaks, Havint any tweeters yet hopeing someone could recomend a pair that would suit these woofers. I have decided on building them in a sealed cabinet I used winISD and it came up with a box volume of 6.24 litres
I think i'v well and truely got the bug!
I know from reading the forum that alot of you guys recommend copying a proven set for your first time, but I was offered these wooofers for a good price and thought i'll just go for it.

Hi Mac

i don't know who u buy really.because u tell me that a friend of a friend of a friend and of a friend. i think i don't know who your friends. i roll my brain. lol

a pair of morel tweeter.the series MDT29 i had ever done with it.
mac use 8.5 litre vent box. don't use close box. 5" is poor bass.
i have my xo if u want i will send u by mail.

regards

:D

Those should be pretty darn good drivers, derserving of a good design and tweeter.

You have 2 choices, a small bookcase style speak or get some bass drivers as well and go 3-way!

If you go with the bookcase style, this might be exactly what you are looking for.. Uses the Morel MDT30 tweeter. Crossover design done for you and all !!

http://www.audiokit.it/ITAENG/KitDiffusori/2vie/MOREL/York.gif

Thanks Thawach, Yeah a copy of your x-over would be helpfull, The reason I was going for a sealed box is that I thought it would be easier to design and build? (Am I wrong?) I am a carpenter so I'm confident with the building of the cabinets, I'm just working at getting them designed properly!

Thanks for that andy, Thats a big help. That looks uncomplicated enough for me to do. I was thinking about going 3-way but the moneys a bit tight just now, I'll see how I go with these and hopefully build a better set next time. If I wanted to make these speakers floorstanding, Would I just make then to the size I want and seal off the compartment for the speaker and port, Would this effect the sound of the speaker?
Thanks for the replies btw, been really helpfull

regards
Mac

DJMAC said:
If I wanted to make these speakers floorstanding.......

probably better to design a nice stand for them. If you create a chamber below the speaker it also has to be made so it doesn't act like a resonant box.. ie fill it with foam or sand or something , which can be tedious !

either way, be aware that a single 5" driver has its limits !! don't expect a lot of bass or loud volumes. etc

DJMAC said:
Hello everyone i'm Mac, I have to say great forum, loads of usefull info and loads i dont understand!,
I'm at the early stages of building my first set of speakers, I'm not looking to spend alot of money (because its my first time) but I am aiming for decent quality. I bought a pair of morel mw142 5"woofers from a friend of a friend they are in good condition and havint seen much use, So I am planning a set of two way speaks, Havint any tweeters yet hopeing someone could recomend a pair that would suit these woofers. I have decided on building them in a sealed cabinet I used winISD and it came up with a box volume of 6.24 litres
I think i'v well and truely got the bug!
I know from reading the forum that alot of you guys recommend copying a proven set for your first time, but I was offered these wooofers for a good price and thought i'll just go for it.

For my disco I use some very cheap 75WRMS tweeters from Maplin. They are less than £5 each and can be put in series and/or parallel to get the amount of power you want.

I have a box with 6 in, they are wired as two sets of 3 in series to get 225WRMS * 2.

I remember my first set of speakers way back in the 1970's.
I had 2 boxes with 2 12 inch Fane 50 WRMS speakers in each box.
They were very good speakers and very loud for their rating.
They did a good job for many years on my disco and for playing guitar through.

Good luck with your project !
Nigel

I know I wont be getting alot of bass from these speakers, thats not important to me,I prefer them to sound balanced if that makes sence? Think am going to stick with the bookshelf speakers, Just need to go and get some MDF, and order tweeters and talk to my brother see if he will give me a hand with the crossover, Does anyone know a good place to buy crossover parts from in uk?? I really dont have a clue about crossovers need to do alot more reading.
I'll some take pics and post em up.

Cheers Mac

Mac,

Our friend Thawach is right on the money.

In a 9 Lt. vented box, with minimal damping, and a port tube of 1.25" dia X 4.6" L, you'll get an F3 of 49.8 Hz (respectable for any 5" 2 way system).

The MDT-29 is an excellent choice for a companion tweeter.

Let us know how it turns out.

Best of luck,

Larry

Hi there again, Just an update, Started my speakers last week, Got some pics, And a few questions! Firstly I couldint get 22 MDF from the local B and Q, So used 18mm MDF with 4mm ply glued to it, Is this likely to have any effect on the sound? The other thing was that on the speakers I am building the recess for the woofer and the tweeter come very close to the side of the baffle about 1mm at each side!. Although onece the sides are on this gives me an extra 22mm on each side, Has anyone had any expierience of this, does it just mean I will have to router the baffles onece the speakers are all togeather, Or is there a way of having the baffle removable, looking at the plans I cant see a good way of doing this. Sorry about the picture quality,
any comments or suggestion welcome

Cheers Mac

Attachments

• dsc00391.jpg
    dsc00391.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 530
Hi again, Just got round to doing some work on my cabinets at the weekend, Made some progress, Just need to sort out my crossover,
I inlayed a piece of oak into the baffle like a strip doen the middle seams to look ok just now but i'v not painted the cabinet yet, worried about the paint being thicker than the varnish.
i'll post some pics up
cheers mac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.