My FHXL Build Thread

bmwman91,

Congratulations on completing your build!

The end result is very nice. The mahogany front and top look great, and wooden plugs on the side have blended into the overall design motif.

The ZRT 2.5 way speakers are also beautiful.

Also good to know that you are liking the sound, though surprised that you are perceiving more treble with the Alpair 10P vs dedicated tweeter on the ZRT. The Alpair 10P mid-range is very good, and I would guess that is an area that the FHXL with the Alpair 10P would beat a lot of speakers. And yes, the low frequency output is impressive from a modest sized single driver (moreover one that is covering such a wide frequency range).

Enjoy the music and good luck with fixing up the "old German car" that needs your attention. If you don't mind, a few pics of that project would also be good. ;)

You mentioned part shortage and the F6 clone build - what parts are you falling short of? The F6 only uses a few parts altogether... the JFETs became scarce long time back before the recent parts shortage hit us. :D

Thanks. We shall see how good my subjective ear is once I can make some measurements. I am also a little surprised that I feel like these are keeping up with the ScanSpeak tweeters so well.

The car...I have all too many pics of projects from that lol. Full wire harness rebuild, engine swaps, suspension & driveline overhauls, new full custom engine harness build for an aftermarket ECU, the repaint project...I will see about tossing in some links to an E30 forum where I documented that stuff.

If all of the F6 parts are actually available, then I guess that is good news. I had just assumed it might be tricky, based on the number of "can't find parts" posts on here and other places.

Bmwman, they look absolutely phantastic!

Thanks!

Lose the DCX and just be careful. And you will find greater synergy with other amplifiers (more finessed, usually smaller). F6 on way. That should dput a smile on your face.

dave

Yeah, the DCX will probably leave the signal path one way or another. Certainly, it will when I build that F6.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind in the future.

Good job on the finishing touches! The darker screw holes gives them a kind of industrial look which is great I think!

Most importantly, my wife thinks that the speakers look nice in the living room! The all-important WAF...

As someone who has an F6 I can highly recommend it. But a most of the expense lies with the PSU and the casework. You could put that together without exotic hard to get parts, and it could be used for a variety of Pass amps. I have a number of them, F6, f4, M2, Alph J, and a VFET. The VFET is unobtanium now so is off the table, but of the others the F6 and F4 are my favorites. But they are all great and will make your horns shine.

Wow! Nice results! I like the two-tone finish. Awesome job documenting the build process so others can follow how you’ve done things! When I built mine, I was surprised at how much effort the cabinets took. Yours turned out great.

Thanks. Yes, hopefully the photos and discussion are helpful to others who want to build these enclosures!

As someone who has an F6 I can highly recommend it. But a most of the expense lies with the PSU and the casework. You could put that together without exotic hard to get parts, and it could be used for a variety of Pass amps. I have a number of them, F6, f4, M2, Alph J, and a VFET. The VFET is unobtanium now so is off the table, but of the others the F6 and F4 are my favorites. But they are all great and will make your horns shine.

Good to know, thanks. I assume that, based on the guidance I have seen, I want to use the Toshiba 2SK170/2SJ74 Quad 8-11mm matched devices?

JFETOptions.jpg