My breadboard 5E3 deluxe rocks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"Before the 1M resistor"....will move it, hope it has more effect. I'm about through with the 6Y6s I currently have plugged in, having gotten 42mA with plate lowered down to 240 VDC. So can use a cheap inverter for a PT, a SS rectifier, and get 20W plate diss (with 2 tubes). What I didn't like about these tubes is the weird shifty sine wave (see pic). Never saw it before with any of the tubes I've ran thru this breadboard in the last week. Guitar sounds good (although more distortion than I want). Oh, and if my meter isn't true RMS, it should be close if I use a 60Hz tone (I heard that's what those meters estimate it at...)

Attachments

• 6Y6 PLATE.jpg
    6Y6 PLATE.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 52
No, just a future possibility. Was using a Champ-rated PS until I realized I was exceeding 70 mA! Have a beast of a PT from on old Hammond organ, which powered it's 6V6 PP amp, and about 40 other tubes... Keep one DMM on it's B+ to keep track of current demand, and a 2500R 175W adjustable power resistor (is a beast as well!) to adjust B+ to the power tubes.

... I want to build my next project (insert project name here) so bad! The problem is I need to finish all my other open projects first. Haha...

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I have projects (that were too big to start in the first place) that have been lingering on for more than five years...

And yet it's inevitable, you will start another project because you (think you) need it more than the previous ones, only to have it also go into the project "dungeon"!

Well I'VE decided what I'm going to build from all the breadboarding I did the past 2 months.... single input, only 2 stages of gain (not 3), one tone pot, a tremelo (1/2AX7 type), Concertina PI with fixed - but adjustable - gain (yeah my Deluxe is now a Princeton), 6V6s at 19mA plate current (not 6Y6 or 6K6), and all the component value tweaks to give it the sound I want. Have a 2x8" cabinet (was a Crate GX40D) patiently waiting for a tube amp.....Oh wait, the Princeton used NFB...I need to experiment with that now too....damn I thought I was done!

Attachments

• IMAG1556.jpg
    IMAG1556.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 40
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.