My "audiophile" LM3886 approach

It helps to think of it as one big high current opamp in non-inverting mode. The two opamps really operate as a single unit.

EDIT: this is also why the common PS is important. The LM318 common supply actually works to help eliminate some noise/distortion. It is a very well thought out yet very simple power supply approach. It just proves that things don't have to be complex to be the best of class.

HI Gerd,

Ok some basics. Forgive me I know you probably have done some of this already, but this is for other's benefit as well.

Measure voltage between relay power pins if possible.

Also make sure that the relay is actually switching. A relay that has been subjected to too much current can have it's contacts vaporized. Just clicking does not indicate it is functioning correctly. When the relay is on there should be no resistance beween the OG terminal and PGND.

Also check the voltage to LM318 and LM3886.

Measure resistance between OUT and OGND. It should be very high.

Measure all the low value and power resistors (470ohm, 1.5K, 1R) and be sure they are OK.

I may be able to think of other things to check later, but hat should cover it for now.

Cheers!
Russ

AAAAHHH !!!! (Followed by a squall of untranslatable german cusswords)

Measured any R value - all are fine. Powered ´em up to measure voltages and :dead: ... I shortened pin 7 and 8 of LM318 of the working one and that was it. Two dead RevC boards again. **** ! I´m as thick as a plank. Holy **** ...

I´m just draining my 3rd Becks, then I´ll continue bawling.

Good night, folks!:bawling:

I didn't think that german cusswords...

could cause lightnings... but.. see what happened to my Rev_C:dead: :dead: :smash: :hot: :hot:

Damn... I have to get some other LM3886....

Cheers

Andrea

Gerd - you're not alone:bawling:

Attachments

• my_refc scoppiatosmall.jpg
    my_refc scoppiatosmall.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 1,254
Great thread guys. One of the best I've ever read, alongside "gravity well of a dark star" on audiocircle, and "building high end turntables at home despot for $200" on audiogon. Unfortunately the gravity thread died but the home despot thread is also alive and kicking. Listening to my first ever soldering project, a modded and rehoused S Impact amp now, and looking for a high end project. I'm really a tube guy but this project seems to good to miss.

SmellOfPoo said:
AAAAHHH !!!! (Followed by a squall of untranslatable german cusswords)

Measured any R value - all are fine. Powered ´em up to measure voltages and :dead: ... I shortened pin 7 and 8 of LM318 of the working one and that was it. Two dead RevC boards again. **** ! I´m as thick as a plank. Holy **** ...

I´m just draining my 3rd Becks, then I´ll continue bawling.

Good night, folks!:bawling:

There comes a time in analog electronics when one invests in variable supplies and a variac ....

Maybe your time is due? ;)

(After all, you still have the beer)

New one in operation

I read the glowing reports in the Absolute Sound of the Emitter II. Looking at it, it had to be the four chassis implimentation that gives it the reported great sound.
So to build my own, for 25,600.00 less money here is my version. The idea is the same. One chassis for active circuitry, two seperate output power supplies, a battery supply for the input stages.
I was able to save the 25,600.00 by purchasing my boards from TP!

Attachments

• dsc00405[1].jpg
    dsc00405[1].jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 874