Music Reproduction Systems - what are we trying to achieve?

Bbe is a technology that puts back what the recording process takes out.

Apparently a recording cannot capture all the qualities of an actual live performance.
A piano will sound different when in the room being played for you than it will being played through a set of speakers. Bbe puts back the 'realness' of the instrument sound

How does it know what was taken out?
Compares what a piano sounds like or a drum or strings or trumpet with what it sounds like from a recording.
Its partly tk do with the transients and the phase shifts. Anyway barcus berry electronics puts a brightness into a piano or a preciseness to a harp being plucked. It does it electronically but for some content it can appear a little too sharpn bright so 3 levels are available as well as off.

Compares what a piano sounds like or a drum or strings or trumpet with what it sounds like from a recording.
Its partly tk do with the transients and the phase shifts. Anyway barcus berry electronics puts a brightness into a piano or a preciseness to a harp being plucked. It does it electronically but for some content it can appear a little too sharpn bright so 3 levels are available as well as off.

How does it know what these instruments "sound like"?

Apparently a recording cannot capture all the qualities of an actual live performance.
A piano will sound different when in the room being played for you than it will being played through a set of speakers. Bbe puts back the 'realness' of the instrument sound
This might interest you, particularly the last section, "The Records".
http://www.jasmine-records.co.uk/other/downloads/jascd656.pdf

I often find piano notes too sharp, is there a tool for flattening them? A file maybe
You have three levels to pick from 1 2 and 3. Some find 3 too harsh and indeed too sharp. A bit like having the contrast set too high on old televisions.

Others like it better with the bbe off altogether and still others throw a wet towel over the speakers in the hope of dulling the sound from instrument notes that are too sharp.

Each to their own..

armarra1 said:
I'm not a recording professional therefore i have little knowledge of R2R and from the sound of it neither do you apart from anecdotal.
I am old enough to have owned a R2R deck. It wasn't a particular good one and I no longer have it, but my comments are not based on listening to others' anecdotes. I also still have a cassette deck (and vinyl, and CD - I even have DAT too).

sumotan said:
Btw Armarra 1 too thick a wire you loose more highs.
For really cheap & good speaker cables, I can recommend
that you try diy Belden Cat 5 cables
Pure nonsense. Cat 5 is too thin for speakers. Thick wires do no harm.

armarra1 said:
Thats interesting about the highs. Do you know why that is ?
It isn't, so he can't tell you why it "is".

cbdb said:
Why would you want your system to sound like live music?
Because I like music.

Most live music is not very hi fi.
I can only assume you don't know what the term 'hi-fi' means.

armarra1 said:
Emphasis of certain frequencies in a dynamic(automatic) way can bring out detail that was there but hidden.
You would need a Maxwell demon to do that. Maybe the demon some have already bought to reduce noise can do this new function too?

Pure nonsense - unless you have a tame demon.

RAndyB said:
How does it know what these instruments "sound like"?
Demons know.