• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Mr White's "Opus", designing a simple balanced DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ballsie Question

If I only use the SE-outputs of the ballsie, I can bypass the coupling capacitors...
But if I want to make use of the balanced outputs of the ballsie, I still need them?!

Would it be better to bypass those caps and to move them to the balanced outputs of the ballsie?
(I'll be using the SE-outputs only, but some of my friends like to borrow the DAC and they might have balanced inputs)

Re: Ballsie Question

OneyedK said:
If I only use the SE-outputs of the ballsie, I can bypass the coupling capacitors...
But if I want to make use of the balanced outputs of the ballsie, I still need them?!

Would it be better to bypass those caps and to move them to the balanced outputs of the ballsie?
(I'll be using the SE-outputs only, but some of my friends like to borrow the DAC and they might have balanced inputs)

What you can do will depend on what is at the output of the ballsie.

There will be 2.5V common mode voltage at the balanced outputs. Some amplifiers (our TXO for example) will have no issues with this at all. Some my produce magic smoke.

When in doubt leave the caps. You can be sure everyone will be fine in this case. They are quite good and peace of mind can't be underestimated.

One thing you could do is leave the caps in then run wires from the DAC side of the coupling caps to the Ballsie. Then only wire the SE output of the ballsie to your back panel. Then you could wire the output of the DAC itself direct to balanced outputs at the back panel. That way there will be no common mode DC.

Re: Re: Ballsie Question

Russ White said:

One thing you could do is leave the caps in then run wires from the DAC side of the coupling caps to the Ballsie. Then only wire the SE output of the ballsie to your back panel. Then you could wire the output of the DAC itself direct to balanced outputs at the back panel. That way there will be no common mode DC.

Great idea! Much cleaner than what I suggested. Thanks!

BrianDonegan said:
I can't make out your receiver jumpers, but your DAC jumpers are not set correctly.

I2S - High
DM1 - Low
DM0 - Low
MUTEB - High
MODE - Low
IWO - High

All other jumpers open.

You also might consider stacking the DAC with the receiver to shorten your I2S lines as much as possible to prevent clock noise.

Thanx Brian.

On the receiver board all the jumpers are on the middle pin and the +.

Opus USB - > Opus Dac -> Ballsie -> ZenV9

To all USB fans: the Opus USB converter works great with Foobar and Asio4All. :D

Sound quality is better than my old EMU1212M -> SPDIF -> Wolfson 8740 evaluation board.

I was worried about possible ground loops among the many power supplies (three for dac and ballsie + usb 5V from PC) and the ZV9 PS.

Surprisingly no hum at all on 96dB speakers!

Zv9 is star grounded to PS gnd, chassis and safety ground, while the three PS for Dac and Ballsie have the ground floating.

The system in the subject is just a reference, without volume control (Zv9 is less than 14W) . Next step is a second Opus dac for bi-amping, 4 channel volume control, Foobar Vst plugin, Vst Crossover software.

Once again, thanks to Russ and Brian.

Currently am waiting for the next batch of modules to be available - just a few questions:

1) How can we tell if the next stage (e.g. preamp) can accept common mode DC?
e.g I am going to build the Pumpkin Preamp as discussed in the Passlab section - can you tell from the schematic if it can accept the DC?

2) There was a lot of discussion about the poor audio implementation on the USB - I'm using a Macbook with built in optical (no external sound card) - is the Toslink->spDIF->I2S superior or the USB->I2S superior in this case?

3) Ok really simple question here - bear with me - can I use a simple xlr to rca converter that ties the -R or -L to GND (e.g. the Neutrik Neutrik NA2FPMF) on the xlr balanced out to use as SE? - edit - there was a previous post that mentioned that -out to gnd will short the DAC -

Any builders with more listening comments on the reclocking unit?

thanks

her shann

Attachments

• the-pumpkinheadphone schematic.gif
    the-pumpkinheadphone schematic.gif
    48 KB · Views: 646
A quick look at the pumpkin preamp and I see it has output capacitors, so they should block any common mode DC on the outputs.

It looks to me as if you should be fine to DC couple it to the DAC. In fact I would not be affraid to do so at all.

To be 100% sure though you might want to ask the designer.

I have found the USB audio to be an excellent solution, especially with the ASIO drivers.

I am currently using the USB module quite a lot with Vista, Leopard, and Linux. All seem to perform very well. The Metronome module does improve USB audio performance.

Cheers!
Russ

I'm pondering with simple USB headphone amp system including the Opus USB receiver module, stepped attenuator and two Diamante boards. Is there a need for buffer between any of those stages?

A bit offtopic:
Does anybody know if USB based sound system can be used with Console 1.6.1? I have no experience with ASIO4ALL so I wonder if the signal can looped similarly as with E-MU Patchmix. I.e. [foobar -> ASIO OUT -> ASIO IN -> Console -> ASIO OUT] for music and [WAVE OUT -> ASIO IN -> Console -> ASIO OUT] for everything else.

ttr said:
I'm pondering with simple USB headphone amp system including the Opus USB receiver module, stepped attenuator and two Diamante boards. Is there a need for buffer between any of those stages?

A bit offtopic:
Does anybody know if USB based sound system can be used with Console 1.6.1? I have no experience with ASIO4ALL so I wonder if the signal can looped similarly as with E-MU Patchmix. I.e. [foobar -> ASIO OUT -> ASIO IN -> Console -> ASIO OUT] for music and [WAVE OUT -> ASIO IN -> Console -> ASIO OUT] for everything else.

For your first question, You will not need to use a buffer there. The input impedance of the Diamante is 47K and can be increased up to 100K with no trouble. As long as your output impedance of the attenuator does not rise over 4.7K or so you should be in great shape. A 10K-22K pot or equivalent attenuator would be great.

I am currently running two Diamantes after a Joshua Tree attenuator (750R fixed output impedance) which sounds very nice.

I have never tried do to what you ask in the second question, so I can't answer that.

Cheers!
Russ

Would there be any problems if I were to stack all of the boards (dual dac's,USB, and spdif) on top of each other? In one big stack. Does it matter what order they are in?

Also, I have gathered from reading many posts, that when using a switch for the I2S, I need to connect the 4 data wires to a 4 pole switch, but can join all of the grounds together? Is that right?

Thank you,
Darren

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.