• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Mr White's "Opus", designing a simple balanced DAC

gil-garcia said:
Hi,

more informations about opus dac and CD pro 2 with I2S

the response from the company where j have baught the CD Pro 2

"How to connect the opus with the CDPRO2 with I2S"

You can get a 16MHz master clock, if you solder the missing connector on the CD-board (which voids the warranty...). This will only work if the Wolfson DAC can work with a 384x clock, and not just 256x.

++
Philippe

I have good news. 384fs clock will work just fine. :) So personally I would go the route of taking the 16.93mhz clock from the transport. This way the clock will already be in sync. It is the simplest possible answer.

Cheers!
Russ

Re: Re: Re: can you or use 2?or not

SamL said:

Hi Russ,

I am look for a DAC with 2 line out or possible 3 line out.
Well, I wanted to build dipole speaker driven by 3 amp and would like to stay with passive attenuator. Since your DAC is modular, I wonder if 3 set of line out is possible.

Never know until I ask. :D

Hi Sam,

Yes it is easily possible. The practical application depends on some things not known to me yet. So I will ask some questions.

What is the input impedance of each attenuator, and which attenuator are you using?

What type of signal do you need to feed your power amps? Single Ended or Balanced?

Cheers!
Russ

Re: Re: Re: Re: can you or use 2?or not

Russ White said:

Hi Sam,

Yes it is easily possible. The practical application depends on some things not known to me yet. So I will ask some questions.

What is the input impedance of each attenuator, and which attenuator are you using?

What type of signal do you need to feed your power amps? Single Ended or Balanced?

Cheers!
Russ

Excellent news. :yummy:
The attenuator I have in mind is the lightspeed attenuator, using Silonex Optoisolators NSL-32SR2S. This details are publish here by georgehifi in this long post.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80194&perpage=10&highlight=&pagenumber=1

From what I read, the lightspeed is like a 7KOhm port (input and output). Post 141, 142. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=975221&highlight=#post975221
and should be fine driving my AKSA power amps with 47K input impedance. Oh yes, the amp only take single ended input.

Hi,

Progress about biamping with two USB DACs and digital xover.

Today I tried the USB->I2S board from DDDAC project I had home, based on the same PCM2707 as OPUS project, using analog output. XP installs automatically USB audio drivers and works fine.

Then installed ASIO4ALL drivers, http://www.asio4all.com. Foobar sees the two channels from USB DAC as well as the other two channels from the EMU1212M sound card installed. So it would see and work with two USB DACs.

Foobar digital xover plugin http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t29316.html would work, but not yet tried. Next step is to wait for OPUS USB->I2S converter and add another OPUS Wolfson DAC (I have already a WM8740 ev-board).

The problem I see is the clock to synchronise the two DACs. Is there a project for a OPUS clock module or do we go for a Tent's clock?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: can you or use 2?or not

SamL said:

Excellent news. :yummy:
The attenuator I have in mind is the lightspeed attenuator, using Silonex Optoisolators NSL-32SR2S. This details are publish here by georgehifi in this long post.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80194&perpage=10&highlight=&pagenumber=1

From what I read, the lightspeed is like a 7KOhm port (input and output). Post 141, 142. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=975221&highlight=#post975221
and should be fine driving my AKSA power amps with 47K input impedance. Oh yes, the amp only take single ended input.

Sound like fun!

Well you have lots of options.

With that attenuator you could simply use one DAC, one BAL->SE converter, and your attenuators following that directly feeding your amps.

You might also want to look at the Joshua Tree.

Cheers!
Russ

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: can you or use 2?or not

Russ White said:

With that attenuator you could simply use one DAC, one BAL->SE converter, and your attenuators following that directly feeding your amps.

Cheers!
Russ

What a good news. Looks like I will be very busy soon. :D
Just to clearified and help me with my metal case planning. I only need one BAL->SE for the 3 set of lightspeed attnuators that will feed to my 3 stereo power amp, is this correct?

Also what type of source selector do I need if I have multiple digital souce feeding to a S/PDIF Receiver Module.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: can you or use 2?or not

Russ White said:

You might also want to look at the Joshua Tree.

I have something quite similar to Joshua Tree. I have the "Audio Volume Relay Attenuator with IR Control" by Jos van Eijndhoven that I not quite finish. I also have the Elma Ladder attenuator that I most likely will sell and currently using DACT as passive attenuator.
A small collection of attenuator for a silly DIY :D

Hi Russ,

Another noob question :

I just fired up a few minutes ago, and I have no sound.

I have the full kit (LCPS, SPDIF receiver and DAC).
The LCPS is OK and set @ 7.5V both outputs.
SPDIF set up in SE mode (RCA cable).
SPDIF Receiver's Jumpers set as default from the manual.
Output is wired SE (Sig+ and Gnd) both channels.
DAC's Jumpers set as default from the manual.
The SPDIF is OK and is locking when my CD player is on (LED continuous on).
I hear a smal "clik" at power on, but no sound.

What did I wrong?

Thanks for your help :)

Maousse,

I doubt you did anything wrong. It sounds like your DAC module is simply defective.

I am very sorry for the problem.

I can't tell for sure without having my hands on the DAC what is wrong. The best thing would be to send it back to Brian so we can debug or replace it for you.

I apologize for the inconvenience. This is why we will be offering assembled and tested Opus boards now. Its just too difficult to debug them from a distance. It could just be that the WM8740 chip just needs to be replaced.

Please contact Brian directly from our site about this.

Cheers!
Russ

SamL said:
Hi ,

Wonder if your DAC recognise the PCM or LCPM 2 channel material from DVD player? A known problem for the Lite DAC AH.
http://www.pacificvalve.us/LTDACAH2.html

If as far as I know all PCM is LPCM. As long as the data on the SPDIF output is 96/24 or 192/24 it will work just fine with DVD-A.

I have tested with 192/24 out from my PC with no issues.

Beyond that I cannot say. :) I will try a DVDA from a Denon 3910 when I get a chance.

I think many consumer DVDA player down sample the SPDIF output with playing DVDA to 41/16. But I am not sure. Researching. :)

Cheers!
Russ

Russ White said:

If as far as I know all PCM is LPCM. As long as the data on the SPDIF output is 96/24 or 192/24 it will work just fine with DVD-A.

I have tested with 192/24 out from my PC with no issues.

Beyond that I cannot say. :) I will try a DVDA from a Denon 3910 when I get a chance.

I think many consumer DVDA player down sample the SPDIF output with playing DVDA to 41/16. But I am not sure. Researching. :)

Cheers!
Russ

Not sure about DVDA but on my DVD player, when I switch my 5.1 Dolby Digital out to 2 Chn out, it is in PCM.

SamL said:

Not sure about DVDA but on my DVD player, when I switch my 5.1 Dolby Digital out to 2 Chn out, it is in PCM.

Hello,

I just tested a few DVD players with non-DTS or DD encoded audio. They worked just fine. :)

On a couple of the DVD players I had to set SPDIF output mode from "Normal" to PCM, but they all worked. DVD-A also worked just fine. :)

Cheers!
Russ

Its been a while since i visited this thread it has grown quite a bit and sorry if i cant sit and browse all the pages to find my answer!

I have questions about the opus.

1: when will it be back in stock (tested DAC + reciever)
2: Is the optical input avaliable
3: Will the Toslink work in 24 bit? and 192khz?

neutron7 said:
Its been a while since i visited this thread it has grown quite a bit and sorry if i cant sit and browse all the pages to find my answer!

I have questions about the opus.

1: when will it be back in stock (tested DAC + reciever)
2: Is the optical input avaliable
3: Will the Toslink work in 24 bit? and 192khz?

Hello,

1) probably in the next 4 weeks or so as I have to order more PCBs and there will be a few slight revisions.
2) Not yet, but I will probably add it at some point.
3) I will have to do more research here, but I don't know why not. Will post as soon as I know.

Cheers!
Russ

Just took a look at the WM8804 (should have done that in the first place). It looks like it includes a SPDIF receiver, so I'm guessing it will replace the receiver module. Will the WM8804 be included on your latest order of boards, or is this something you're looking at adding later down the line?

Sorry for the double post...should have done my research first ;)