Most impressive full range you've ever heard?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jirka I belive that the problem with normal ribbons is that they
got sharp egde. I have placed the ribbon at the front and that improve imaging.

Davies no that is not magnets, but iron crossbars that i coated with nickel.
The neodymiummagnets is just beneath the crossbars. From the front you can see iron with nickel and again the magnets are below.

Auplater I admit that the signal level was low. But they can play a lot louder fullrange than a normal open ribbon. I crossover at 200hz 48 db. too this modifid scan speak.

72F_Loudspeaker058.jpg

It was made by the now late mr. Steen Duelund.

http://www.gryphon-audio.dk/files/duelund/duelund.html

Although partly DIY, I hope this is helpful:

Curved and braced sheets of 24 inches wide x 42 inches high plywood and installed 6 Dayton-Wright cells in each. Driven directly by Sanders-type high voltage amp with 2400 volt B+ and high voltage bias adding to B+. Klipshorn for bass below 140 Hz, at 24 dB/8ave.

Why do I think it was the best sound I ever had anywhere: no box, no gas, no absorbent, no playing through plastic sheets, no grill cloth, no transformers, enormous resistances throughout, large dipole baffle, nearly full range (definitely no tweeter needed... mostly because no transformers needed), high voltage (made possible by the excellent cells).

The main credit should go to Mike Wright's panels with their comprehensively sound design concepts and physical solidity. Quad speakers look like stuff made in a home garage next to Dayton-Wright construction. Secondary credit to direct drive amp.

Only shortcomings, aside from gladly accepted risk for electrocution, is some tweeter beaming; but kind of more theoretical than audible. (Just how does your ear happen to know that beaming is occurring?)

I still have these big panels sitting around although, here to fore loath to sell due to fond memories. I also have a trunk of second-hand D-W panels of uncertain quality. A single panel is quite super as a tweeter.

And fair to add, DIY has a lot of advantages as far as subjective judgment goes. But, I think it is also the case that your ears come to "understand" a room and so you come to hear better in it. This happens over minutes and also days. When demo'ing, be sure to play some general purpose stuff for 20 minutes, before starting to play critical-listening stuff. You read it here first!

I had the original CLSs (circa 1983-4), then upgraded to 2-Zs (circa 1996). There are many qualities that the originals had that the 2Zs do not. However the 2Zs are usefully louder. In my case, the CLS 1s were toast as the interior stator wiring had come lose from their adhesive inside the curved plates. Both pannels and boxes were upgraded.

Earlier this spring, I added a Velodyne DD-15 to the system, and after getting the pair balanced (2 hours) I have a very rich, deep, and satisfiing soundstage with just a hint of beaming. Its quite amazing how much better the whole system is after you remove the low end from the panels and thus limit the excursions thereof.

Now the above has to be taken with a grain of salt because I moved in the same time period and the new sound room is 17' wide by 11' tall by 53' deep (with few disturbances along the walls.)

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
MGH said:
Anyone here have heard the big Sound Lab electrostats? There new PX series looks interesting, but they're huge! I always wonder how speakers this big can manage to image well.
I've heard the A3 (rather old model) a several times. Good bass extension, nice resolution and imaging.. but - the tonal balance is horrible, and there's no top-end at all (drops like a cliff above 14 kHz).

The best full-range I've heard are these "speakers"...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi everybody, I have just built the best sounding full range planar speakers I have ever built bass down to 15hz, and treble that is very good, no crossover. Just wonderful sound. It is 31 x 17 x 2.5 inches and weights in at 10 kilos.I have finally got rid of the flapping noise which always turned up when very low bass at high volume was used. I am finishing its partner as I speak. They are being supported from the ceiling as they do not weigh much. Out of the way there! As I have some 4' x 2' full range planars under them, driven by a Quad II:smash: Regards Jamesbos

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
JAMESBOS said:

bass down to 15hz, and treble that is very good, no crossover.

and weights in at 10 kilos.

I have finally got rid of the flapping noise which always turned up when very low bass at high volume was used.

Having built several in the past, I find it impressive and close to hard to believe...would you please convince me with some details and pictures :D :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.