Most attractive speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I like this one. Unfortunately I don`t have any info about it.

Attachments

• 469810486_0fa828e25e_m.jpg
    469810486_0fa828e25e_m.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 969
soongsc, the speaker in your avatar is extremely elegant; but I flatter myself that I could make something close to that if I really put my mind to it.

Since the grass is always greener on the side of the fence that I don't think I could duplicate, the transparent horns (see picture) posted by panomaniac blow me away. Does anyone know who makes these, what they sound like, and what they cost? I'd love to try a pair (assuming, of course, that I can buy them for Canadian$500 per pair; hell, I'll even go to $650 :D )

Regards.

Aengus

Attachments

• 465679624_b475978b99.jpg
    465679624_b475978b99.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 699
Aengus said:
soongsc, the speaker in your avatar is extremely elegant; but I flatter myself that I could make something close to that if I really put my mind to it.

Since the grass is always greener on the side of the fence that I don't think I could duplicate, the transparent horns (see picture) posted by panomaniac blow me away. Does anyone know who makes these, what they sound like, and what they cost? I'd love to try a pair (assuming, of course, that I can buy them for Canadian$500 per pair; hell, I'll even go to $650 :D )

Regards.

Aengus
Thanks Aengus. Always trying out some different things. I'm sure anyone can make anything if one puts the mind and $$$ into it. But it's fun to look at different designs and try to dream up something else.

These transparent horns seem to be available here.
http://www.fergusonhill.co.uk/

soongsc said:

These transparent horns seem to be available here.
http://www.fergusonhill.co.uk/

I kinda like the looks of those Fergy horns. I think it would be possible for a DIY`er to bang these out by making a hot air oven that could support and grasp a 4x8 foot sheet (trimmed to appropriate size) of 1/2 inch thick acrylic (Plexyglass), subject it to just the right temperature and then push a piston the size of the desired throat up into the center, then freezing the shape with forced cooling air. You could likely make the machine to do this for a couple of grand. Once cooled the throat terminus and mouth shape is cut with a saw and finish shaped with a belt sander. Voila.

You could make `em out of smoked plexy, or solid colored.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
rcavictim said:
These get my vote

:happy2: :happy2: I love it! That's a "grate" tweeter!

Those Furgy horns are going to be hard to beat for looks. Wonder how they sound?

What if you were to put a weight in the center of a sheet of acrylic and then heat the sheet? Would it pull down like a black hole? Would the throat stretch too thin?

Hmmm..... I have lots of plexi at work, might be worth a try.

soongsc said:

Thanks Aengus. Always trying out some different things. I'm sure anyone can make anything if one puts the mind and $$$ into it. But it's fun to look at different designs and try to dream up something else.

I should clarify this a bit more. When I wrote that "I could make something close to that", I was sleepy: what I mean is that the woodworking technology is something I understand and could probably do more or less well; I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to design the horn or do a number of the other things required to actually have a decent working speaker unless someone did them for me. What I'm trying to say here is that I'm rather more impressed by what soongsc did than the way it came across :cannotbe: .

Scottg, I agree: I've admired those glass speakers before; and I hesitate to use acrylic and its cousins except for workshop jigs, because it does attract dust and scratch easily. But those horns sure are impressive - soongsc, thank you for the link.

Regards.

Aengus

Aengus said:

I should clarify this a bit more. When I wrote that "I could make something close to that", I was sleepy: what I mean is that the woodworking technology is something I understand and could probably do more or less well; I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to design the horn or do a number of the other things required to actually have a decent working speaker unless someone did them for me. What I'm trying to say here is that I'm rather more impressed by what soongsc did than the way it came across :cannotbe: .

Scottg, I agree: I've admired those glass speakers before; and I hesitate to use acrylic and its cousins except for workshop jigs, because it does attract dust and scratch easily. But those horns sure are impressive - soongsc, thank you for the link.

Regards.

Aengus

Actually I just did the design and someone else did the woodwork. I don't have the woodworking skills nor machine to hands do hands on work. But it was an interesting process because it was the first time the shop did it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.