Mordaunt Short - Carnival Series 2 (1976) Crossover and Tweeter Help Needed!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm going to research some cheap replacement drivers
I presume you mean replacement tweeters.

The mid/bass drivers are Mordaunt Short DSB 208. These are very good drivers and, unless faulty, are in no need of replacement.

See this link for description and specification of the DSB 208:

stereonomono - Hi Fi Compendium: Mordaunt-Short DSB 208

The paper cone tweeters I suggested earlier are not expensive, and it's well worth taking the gamble that such or similar replacements will blend in satisfactorily in conjunction with the existing crossover.

If that proves not to be the case, then return to the forum for further assistance.

I presume you mean replacement tweeters.

The mid/bass drivers are Mordaunt Short DSB 208. These are very good drivers and, unless faulty, are in no need of replacement.

See this link for description and specification of the DSB 208:

stereonomono - Hi Fi Compendium: Mordaunt-Short DSB 208

The paper cone tweeters I suggested earlier are not expensive, and it's well worth taking the gamble that such or similar replacements will blend in satisfactorily in conjunction with the existing crossover.

If that proves not to be the case, then return to the forum for further assistance.

Thanks Galu - Yes I meant tweeters, and should I decide to change them, I will start with the ones you recommended which can be procured locally for not very much money.

The re-cap I did last week has really improved things, but I am noticing some tweeter-cone noise from time to time that I'd like to be able to reproduce - "for research" :)

Today I'm putting together some tweeter test patterns in ableton - audio loops, percussion stuff, wave sweeps etc. For purely subjective measurement / reproduction of physical failure modes - rather than to measure response etc - if that makes sense. Basically a selection of neverending loops I can pan and EQ to see how the tweeters handle them.

Ihalha, take a look at Wagner Electronics who supply to the repairs industry.
They will likely have suitable tweeters plus everything else you could want.
You asked about replacing the polycarbonate capacitor (the multicoloured) one.....this is a solid cap so should be electrically fine but all capacitors types have a characteristic sound, by juggling capacitor types you can voice your speakers somewhat.

Dan.

Tweeters
Polypropylene capacitor

Hi all,

So I was enjoying these and getting ready to buy the new tweeters, when I noticed that the bass driver has stopped working on one of them.

The crossover I updated "looks" ok and was working for a week or so - but maybe I have introduced a short that has knackered the bass driver?

Testing with a DMM gives a decent reading (see attached). Disconnected from the crossover, and connected directly to a small amp, the driver reproduces the music I put into it, perfectly audibly but only very quietly and only high frequencies. There is no visible or physical cone movement.

There is plenty of advice on the web, but it all seems to say "if your DC impedance is good, the driver is good".

One thing I have not tried is this same test on the other working speaker, simply because the drivers are hard solders to the crossover wires and it's a real pain to work on. I have updated the broken one to new internal wire and removable lugs deliberartely as part of this investigation. But I have done the obvious (to me) things like try different amps and both L&R outputs of each amp etc.

Thanks,