Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

I am getting the same issue as I did with the Tidal playlists when I am searching for tracks or artists using both Linn Kazoo and Lumin. It appears to find the track but then gives me the login or communication failure error. I have no idea where to start finding the issue. Probably also a upmpdcli issue? Any ideas please? Rpi 2B, Allo Piano + Kali, Moode 4.0

@Mars67

upmpdcli is a UPnP Media Renderer front-end to MPD. It's also upmpdcli which talks to the upstream Tidal service and it's upmpdcli which deals with Tidal's authentication process. I doubt we can run your specific problem to ground since we don't know anything about the unpublished Tidal API.

Maybe @Serverbaboon can again intercede with the upmpdcli developer on our behalf.

Regards,
Kent

2 Tips

Hi all,

I know it's a little bit "out-of-topic", but I want to share two tips with you for a better "handling & sound" with our lovely moOde player:

1) USB-Case for SSDs
HDtracks need a lot of diskspace (>1GB per "disk") and I don't want to use a conventional harddisk because of audibility and power consumptions (24/7). So I use the following case which works fine with my Pi and moOde: IB-233U3-B
IB-233U3-B

2) Direct power soldering on Raspberry Pi
I hate this micro-USB power connector of the Pi, so I soldered my Sbooster direct on the back of the Pi. Wow … sounds better and so far I never had a flashing red power LED again on the Pi. Try it, it’s only “a 35 Euro risk” ;)
RaspberryPi.jpg

Regards Tom

Hi,

I spent some time this morning getting Moode's Github repos up to date and also did a quick install of MyBB forum software at moodeaudio.org

I'd propose using the Git Wikis in the moode and mosbuild repos.
Moode Audio Player * GitHub

Operation and admin of the forum is more involved and needs further discussion.
Forums

-Tim

Hey Tim,
I can write/initiate an how-to with screens capture on Git’s wiki about Mosbuild but i’m pretty sure that my FR-English will need some corrections to avoid misunderstandings.

I will look at this this week-end ...

-Eric

Ah, just tried and I see that as well, Linn Kazoo. Only when I search and click on "Tracks" and "Albums", but not on "Artist" it's fine.

Rpi3B Allo Boss

My username and password seem to be playing up for Tidal, can someone check the syslog file for error messages.

/var/log/syslog.

Will try and sort out my config file tomorrow, its late and I should be asleep.

I was doing the same thing. Take a look here: WikiMatrix - Compare them all

As far as I'm concerned, I think it's down to DokuWiki vs MediaWiki. MediaWiki is more complex, being the platform used by wikipedia. But DokuWiki looks more modern and a little bit simpler. I like the fact that you don't need a database, there are only text files. And also, I like the syntax more because it's close to MarkDown and is simpler than that of MediaWiki.

So, DokuWiki has my vote.

I installed a bunch overnight and DokuWiki gets my vote. Easily the best of the bunch from an installation, administration, usability perspective.

Edit: well, apart from Github, which was my first choice but ‘isnt a wiki’, apparently o.0

Last edited:
building moOde r40 on an RPi3B+, part II

So I ended my previous post on building moOde 4.0 on an RPi3B+ by saying WiFi wasn't working for me.

I now have my build working with the integrated WiFi adapter, thanks to the hint from @Man in a van regarding the package raspberrypi-sys-mods. I can start moOde in AP mode in the 2.4GHz band or in client mode in either the 2.4GHz or the 5GHz band.

There's an interplay between several bits of raspbian code to disable WiFi initially if the country code isn't set. In addition to the moOde build process setting a default country code, I found I had to poke the raspbian code in the eye with a sharp stick, so to speak.

Just because my hackery seems to have worked doesn't mean it is the right way to go. It may be, for example, that it wouldn't have been necessary if I'd done things in different order, or that it causes problems else where that I just haven't noticed. I'll post my hack tomorrow when I'm more awake. Someone with better raspbian-fu than I have should look at it.

And as for that AP mode, it's possible that it could also use the 5GHz band if moOde's Network Config choices are amended. I'll look at that tomorrow too.

Regards,
Kent

Hi all,

I know it's a little bit "out-of-topic", but I want to share two tips with you for a better "handling & sound" with our lovely moOde player:

1) USB-Case for SSDs
HDtracks need a lot of diskspace (>1GB per "disk") and I don't want to use a conventional harddisk because of audibility and power consumptions (24/7). So I use the following case which works fine with my Pi and moOde: IB-233U3-B
IB-233U3-B

2) Direct power soldering on Raspberry Pi
I hate this micro-USB power connector of the Pi, so I soldered my Sbooster direct on the back of the Pi. Wow … sounds better and so far I never had a flashing red power LED again on the Pi. Try it, it’s only “a 35 Euro risk” ;)
View attachment 670096

Regards Tom

You don’t need to solder + can just plug onto the GND/5V posts. I rarely have a USB feed into a box, preferring to use switch or other transformers, hard wired and just crimp/solder a connector on to some 18AWG cable.

Hi,

I spent some time this morning getting Moode's Github repos up to date and also did a quick install of MyBB forum software at moodeaudio.org

Forums

-Tim

I installed a bunch overnight and DokuWiki gets my vote. Easily the best of the bunch from an installation, administration, usability perspective.

Why not the Git wikis that are already available?

So I ended my previous post on building moOde 4.0 on an RPi3B+ by saying WiFi wasn't working for me.

I now have my build working with the integrated WiFi adapter, thanks to the hint from @Man in a van regarding the package raspberrypi-sys-mods. I can start moOde in AP mode in the 2.4GHz band or in client mode in either the 2.4GHz or the 5GHz band.

There's an interplay between several bits of raspbian code to disable WiFi initially if the country code isn't set. In addition to the moOde build process setting a default country code, I found I had to poke the raspbian code in the eye with a sharp stick, so to speak.

Just because my hackery seems to have worked doesn't mean it is the right way to go. It may be, for example, that it wouldn't have been necessary if I'd done things in different order, or that it causes problems else where that I just haven't noticed. I'll post my hack tomorrow when I'm more awake. Someone with better raspbian-fu than I have should look at it.

And as for that AP mode, it's possible that it could also use the 5GHz band if moOde's Network Config choices are amended. I'll look at that tomorrow too.

Regards,
Kent

Which release of Stretch are u starting with?

Hi,

Forums

-Tim

That's a great start! What I would think would be most useful is, for instance in the mosbuild repo, to have a small set of instructions as to how to run the script, how to monitor the progress in the different steps, what to expect (like several reboots), etc.

Thanks for the hard work! I think that GitHub is the best place for such instructions.

Rafa.

Hi,

Assuming that the moOde 4.0 build that you made was successful i.e., on a fresh unmodified image the mosbrief log output showed END and the output of System info is error free, then below are some basic troubleshooting approaches:

Hardware

1. Using a fresh, unmodified image on a known good SDCard boot up a bare Pi-3B connected via Ethernet and not in an enclosure.
2. If it boots up and Nymeria, moode.local or ip_address brings up the UI then proceed to #3 below.
3. Menu, Configure, BLU to open the Bluetooth config screen and then just follow steps 1 and 2 in the instructions listed on the screen.
-Tim

OK, been away for a few days... I've done various research, and system rebuilding. So, on the above, 1. Yep. 2. Yep. 3. Nope.

I have discovered that it seems you do not get an active BT interface on a newly created Moode 4.0 image until you go into the AUDIO config section and enable "Bluetooth Speaker".

The basic BT interface switch in System section is on, as it is right after a build. I found that BLU menu partway into my searching on this, but it did not produce any action, the RUN button is actually greyed out and non functional. BUT, if in the AUDIO section you flip the AUDIO Bluetooth Speaker switch, (which sounds like a secondary function, not a interface enable) THEN the RUN button in the MPD menu is active, and you can scan, and you find devices. Not sure if this is the intended behavior.

I just re-verified it is working like this on a second new build.

Software

In order to troubleshoot UI anomalies on devices I need (a) the screen height and width in pixels and (b) the exact device model. I can then recreate the resolution in a Safari viewport simulator and see how UI looks.

Firefox has been problematic in my experience so YMMV.

-Tim

On the screen issues... On the phone where I see the menu masking, I am using Chrome, not Firefox. I'm using Firefox on my desktop PC. I've never seen this on the PC, but the window in question isn't short enough to cause the dropdown box to extend very far. Tried shortening the browser window, I just get slider bars on the side to handle the menu going off screen. No masking.

I have a Samsung Galaxy 8, which has 3 resolutions. HD+ 1480x720, FHD+ 2220x1080, and WQHD+ 2960x1440. I've been using the FHD+ mode. Tried switching back to the higher res (also default?) 2960x1440, didn't notice any difference. Same masking of the dropdown menu. It might not have updated the resolution, though it didn't say it needed the phone to be rebooted.

I have finally got the phone to take a screen capture, though don't have a handy way to show it here, will try to email it to you.

On the volume control, what's expected behavior with the dial indicator when in Landscape and on a mobile? I see the bar below the dial, with the same behavior as with the bar alone in Portrait. Sliding the bar will only refresh the dial position and number and volume after you move it and let go. Or, a tap on the edge of the bar will jump you over to that. Also, on the dial in Landscape, tapping on the number in the center will open the keyboard, to enter a number directly. Otherwise, the dial seems unresponsive to clicking. BUT, I just noticed if you tap on the right lower side of the dial portion (like, 3pm to 6pm) it will move the volume! It moves it not to where you are tapping, seems to randomly move it around in the 18-26 range of the dial. The rest of the dial does not seem responsive to tapping, unlike the Firefox on the PC case where the whole dial is a responsive volume control, changing number, position and the voume smoothly in realtime. Wierd.

Hope all this tells you something important...

Hardware issues...

Have a few questions in regards to hardware issues I've been having.
--
2. Recently, after finding out my fancy new case couldn't be fully assembled with a SD card in the socket, and then putting the SD card in when fully assembled would require tweezers... I removed a side panel to make it easier. This involved my laziness and some moderate force on said SD card in it's socket. Now, I have a flakey system that freezes, or is unresponsive. Have I damaged the SD card or socket? Got out the microscope and small soldering iron tip and reflowed the socket pins, but no joy. Will try other things, boards etc, later. Question here, is it possible to partially boot the system up, i.e. have the card lose its connection during boot, and have a mostly functioning player? Till you need to hit some part of the system that never got loaded? Trying to explain some of the behavior I'm seeing...

OK, back to this one... After swapping around the suspect and another SD card, I had just about convinced myself that yes, it's a bad card... when I started getting errors with the "good" card?? And then on the "good" Pi, so not the socket or the card?? Erased and reflashed both, and now they both seem to be behaving OK. :confused: So, file corruption on cards? Temporary socket issue causing corruption to both cards? (I tweaked around with the socket to try to fix it) I don't know how possible that could be. Don't know if most of the system is loaded and runs out of RAM vs getting read off the card as it works.

For future troubleshooting ideas, can a system mostly function with some corrupt files here and there? What happens when it needs to access a file and can't? Or if it tries a few times and then it reads? I'd guess it's too generic a question.. but I'm trying to explain the "works OK then freezes up accessing a menu" behavior, or what looked like if I press on or wiggle the card it doesn't have issues or suddenly gets unstuck. Can't explain the sudden "everything works after the reflash" by mechanical issues, though.
Anyone ever see symptoms like this? Or, what symptoms might be flags to make you think it's time to reflash your card?

Happy both systems and cards are happy now...

That's a great start! What I would think would be most useful is, for instance in the mosbuild repo, to have a small set of instructions as to how to run the script, how to monitor the progress in the different steps, what to expect (like several reboots), etc.

Thanks for the hard work! I think that GitHub is the best place for such instructions.

Rafa.

I agree that having some basic info in a more formalized format would be a great improvement from poring over the 14000+ posts, or the repeated asking in the forum. It's gotten too big, and Tim, Swizzle, et al are busy enough!

I was looking for a recent copy of the apparently disappeared Setup Guide with a lot of common operation instruction, only found an old Git repository with an 11-2016 version... It's great we have a fresh repository, but I didn't see those documents in there.

Either a similar basic guide, expanded some from what it was, and/or a compiled list of posts mined out of the forum would be fantastic. We need a setup and operations guide, a FAQ, and a list of hints and tips! There's so many things I see in the forums that are good to know about, but you had to be reading everyday, and somehow have saved them able to access them later. Whth a forum this big, it gets difficult find stuff even with the search engine.

OK, now I'm creating more work for Tim... unless some of us step up and get it going. We already have a pretty good documents written up on the build process, by Drone7, and ?? who did that zip document a while back. I'd be willing to do some writing and collating, anybody else?

Last edited:
Fellows, I have supported the community, shared an open source repo with instructions, and paid my copy of Moode 3.x.

I fully support the community, and I applaud those writting instructions and scripts.

That said, I wholeheartedly think that a concise condensed set of instructions on how to run the scripts, what to expect and how to monitor the progress IN THE MOODE WEBPAGE, would be a lot more useful than people pasting links to this same thread every other day with each new person that goes to page and finds himself completely lost as to what to do and comes here asking for advice.

The usual suspects even go to lengths of mocking and bashing the newcomer for not having gone through thousands of posts to find those links to the instructions.

Everyone loves and applauds Tim et all's efforts. But please be open minded enough to face the fact that the web instructions as to what to do to install Moode are obscure to say the least.

If I can help writting something for the webpage, I'd do it gladly, but there needs to be an intention to fix very poor feedback on the page which is turning people away.

Best regards,
Rafa.

Well, there we go, the point well made, and a discussion started... all back a few days before my post, because I hadn't caught up to the forum yet! :D

--Edit Hilarious... most of those 10 pages of posts over 3 days were the resulting discussion, with me clueless. Cheers to people stepping up and taking action! And, my offer of technical writing help stands...

Last edited:
Tidal

My username and password seem to be playing up for Tidal, can someone check the syslog file for error messages.

/var/log/syslog.

Will try and sort out my config file tomorrow, its late and I should be asleep.

Sorry can someone tell me the the exact steps to reproduce this, so at which menu level they start the search, what term they use and which item they select.

As unfortunately I cannot reproduce this in either Bubbleds or Kazoo, I am on the latest version of upmpdcli but I think the only differences between the patched version and mine are outside of Tidal and Qobuz.

Also check to see if there are any upmpdcli errors in syslog as mentioned above.

I will look at reverting my upmpdcli tonight.

Hi all,

1) USB-Case for SSDs
IB-233U3-B

Regards Tom

Nice looking case! Q's... do you power your SSD directly from the Pi USB port? Any problems running under the USB 2.0 rather than 3.0?

Hi,
i am trying to compile 4.0 on Pi 3. I am installing Raspbian Stretch Lite release 2017-11-29, than login with ssh and starting mosbuild.sh. After long, long time installation is exited. I repeated it few times, it is always the same error:

** Compile Upexplorer
Cloning into 'libupnppsamples-code'...
fatal: unable to access 'https://@opensourceprojects.eu/git/p/libupnppsamples/code/': server certificate verification failed. CAfile: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt CRLfile: none
** Error: Git clone failed
** Error: image build exited
** Error: reboot to resume the build

i can reboot and it is happening again. Tried few different sd cards and also newer Rasbian.

This is the mosbrief output:

pi@moode:~ $ mosbrief
// STEP 2 - Direct build so no need to expand Root partition
// STEP 3A - Install core packages
// STEP 3B - Install core packages
// STEP 4 - Install enhanced networking
** Compile bluez-alsa
// STEP 5 - Install Rotary encoder driver
** Compile WiringPi
** Compile rotary encoder driver
// STEP 6 - Compile and install MPD
// STEP 7 - Create moOde runtime environment
// STEP 8 - Install moOde sources and configs
// STEP 9 - Alsaequal
** STEP 10 - Squashfs option not selected
// STEP 11 - Optionally, install updated Linux Kernel
// STEP 12 - Launch and configure moOde!
// STEP 13 - Final prep for image
// COMPONENT 1 - MiniDLNA
// COMPONENT 2 - Auto-shuffle
// COMPONENT 3 - MPD Audio Scrobbler
// COMPONENT 4 - Shairport-sync
// COMPONENT 5 - Squeezelite
// COMPONENT 6 - Upmpdcli
** Compile Libupnp jfd5
** Compile Libupnpp
** Compile Upmpdcli
** Compile Upexplorer
// COMPONENT 1 - MiniDLNA
// COMPONENT 2 - Auto-shuffle
// COMPONENT 3 - MPD Audio Scrobbler
// COMPONENT 4 - Shairport-sync
// COMPONENT 5 - Squeezelite
// COMPONENT 6 - Upmpdcli
** Compile Libupnp jfd5
** Compile Libupnpp
** Compile Upmpdcli
** Compile Upexplorer

i noticed, that the time on pi is wrong:

pi@moode:~ $ date
Wed 29 Nov 05:24:31 UTC 2017

and in mosbuild.log they are tausends warnings like this:

make[2]: Warning: File '/usr/include/stdc-predef.h' has modification time 3994990 s in the future

any hints ?