Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

hold dont remove metadata

Hi,

Does anyone use the Airplay metadata feature in moOde?

I've never found it to be reliable and am considering dropping it.

-Tim

that is one good thing please do not remove, I am using it, haven't found any error.
I also use it with my saavn app streaming on airplay... I have iPhone 6s and its updated to 11.2.6 India version.

The only issue I have found is that - cant do a next or previous song. wish that would work for airplay and Bluetooth

I will recheck if there is metadata issue at my end that is album art or song name issue... Use it on the phone only and have a Rpi 3, and justboom amp and 64Gb sd Samsung sd card

Last edited:
if you want to be a bit more secure and you are more comfortable with git then from /home/pi

Code:
git clone [url]https://@opensourceprojects.eu/git/p/upmpdcli/code[/url] upmpdcli-code
I did this one and it now works, don’t forget to restart the upnp server.

@Tim the airplay metadata option is great when using airplay but it isn’t very often that I use it.

For those suffering with the Tidal playlists issue with upmpdcli there is a fix.

There will be a new release coming out but in the meantime I have attached the diff file that JF sent me.

Remove the .txt from the end and scp to /home/pi.

Then from a terminal session try.

Code:
cd /usr/share/upmpdcli 
sudo patch -p3 < ~/upmpdcli-tidal-and-qobuz-playlists.diff

This seemed to work for me, however had already git cloned the source tree.

if you want to be a bit more secure and you are more comfortable with git then from /home/pi

Code:
git clone [url]https://@opensourceprojects.eu/git/p/upmpdcli/code[/url] upmpdcli-code

there is no need to compile just copy __init__.py

from
~/upmpdcli-code/src/mediaserver/cdplugins/tidal/tidalapi/
to
/usr/share/upmpdcli/cdplugins/tidal/tidalapi

May be my ignorance but I have had too many funnies downloading downloading code outside of git to publish the url to the file for a simple wget or curl.

NB The developer made the same change for Tidal as well which I have not yet tested.

everything works great, thank you

I did this one and it now works, don’t forget to restart the upnp server.

@Tim the airplay metadata option is great when using airplay but it isn’t very often that I use it.

Hi @swizzle,

When it works its ok but its inherently unreliable because there is no resend/recovery mechanism in the metadata protocol. iTunes just sends it once which means when moOde's metadata receive pipe gets stale or the data gets out of sync then its game over. Anyway, the metadata and cover art are already visible on the sending client.

FYI, audio renderer handling has been completely overhauled for the next 41 TR including adding a robust socket based UI updater for Bluetooth and Airplay. This enables Bluetooth to also support "Resume MPD playback" identical to Airplay :)

See the new renderer connect screens below.

-Tim

Attachments

• moode-r41h-ap-ind.png
    moode-r41h-ap-ind.png
    197.7 KB · Views: 325
  • moode-r41h-bt-ind.png
    moode-r41h-bt-ind.png
    198.6 KB · Views: 313
  • moode-r41h-sl-ind.png
    moode-r41h-sl-ind.png
    197.7 KB · Views: 316
Looks like 5th time's a charm. The issue is not in the software rather the UX - and here I have a suggestion that might help people who are first time moode users:

1. Let people know to check on the install via mosbrief. I didn't know this from the few bits of info under Support on the website.

It's confusing that even before the install is complete one can use the moode web interface and in case I do anything that installs something or reboots it corrupts the install.

2. Even better > Include the output of mosbrief in the web interface to know exactly at what step and where in the process a user is. And don't allow any interference until it's reached the end.

I stumbled upon the mosbrief here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/271811-moode-audio-player-raspberry-pi-1302.html#post5325432
but really i think that extra bit would be helpful to be in the basic instructions on the website.

Now that I can be sure that the install finished without errors, the Screen and UI work - However no luck in getting the Synology NAS shares to work.

Thanks for everything,
Mika

@mikaella

Ok, but keep in mind that building 4.1 will require the same steps as building 4.0 so you'll have to master the process regardless. As well, Tim has said that "4.0 --> 4.1 will be an in-place update" so building 4.0 now is not wasted motion.

I highly recommend using the automated moOdeOS image builder.

@jonners' post just below yours (Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi) gives links to great instructions. Ignore the fact that both links are labeled "Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi"; just click on them.

Regards,
Kent

RPi3B+

My UPS guy dropped an RPi3B+ in my hands a few minutes ago.

I can confirm @Morias's approach:
  • Had moOde r40 running on an RPi3B
  • Ran through sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade
  • Watched the clock tick while 212MB of new .debs downloaded and installed
  • Rebooted the RPi3B to make sure moOde would still run on it
  • Transferred the uSD card to the new RPi3B+ and booted---success

Attached is the output from sysinfo. (FYI: I installed the patch I proposed the other day to id the new RPi revision)

Haven't tried any exotic settings yet but so far so good.

Regards,
Kent

Attachments

• sysinfo.rpi3b+.txt
    5.8 KB · Views: 78
Back to Volumio

Thanks to the guys who provided links to instructions to install Moode. I gave up after trying two different sets of instructions which all have stages missing which I only found out after more than an hour's trial and error trying to get a build. The Moode site is hopeless: it talks about an OS image builder but there's no link I could find to download it.

It used to be very simple - put an image on a card put in in the PI, boot and configure. I don't have the time or the energy to engage in days of forum ping pong to fill in the gaps in the instructions. There's something seriously wrong when it's got this complicated when it used to be so easy :)

So unless and until someone makes a downloadable .img of Moode 4 it's back to what works so well : Volumio.

Thanks again for trying.

Thanks to the guys who provided links to instructions to install Moode. I gave up after trying two different sets of instructions which all have stages missing which I only found out after more than an hour's trial and error trying to get a build. The Moode site is hopeless: it talks about an OS image builder but there's no link I could find to download it.

It used to be very simple - put an image on a card put in in the PI, boot and configure. I don't have the time or the energy to engage in days of forum ping pong to fill in the gaps in the instructions. There's something seriously wrong when it's got this complicated when it used to be so easy :)

So unless and until someone makes a downloadable .img of Moode 4 it's back to what works so well : Volumio.

Thanks again for trying.

I Feel your pain! Been struggling on and off with different Moode 4 issues for over a week now, trying to get an install to do the basics I need.

Why the pain? The interface is slightly more refined, seems to run faster and is overall more streamlined. Then again, Volumio just works and has more expansion.

Personally would love to get moode to e.g. read my NAS shares (that volumio, osmc and any other devices on the network have no issues with....)

I truely appreciate all the effort Tim is putting into this free software, so, no complaints - it's just that for some reason i like the project more than others and really root for it :)

While I enjoy the challenge of a DIY install, I have to agree with the fact that the website should show much better instructions as to how to run the scripts and how to monitor them.

I find it absurd that every two pages we have helpful posts linking to two posts on this very thread every time a person asks how to accomplish an installation. Can't those posts' content be included in the web page so one does not have to search through around 1500 pages of posts to find an answer that will work?

Rafa.

The Moode site is hopeless: it talks about an OS image builder but there's no link I could find to download it.

In the box under 'Support' can be seen: "1. Download the Image Builder version 2.2."
The way to download it is to run the commands that appear immediately below that.
Then you have: "2. Start the Image Builder"
There follows a command which starts the Image Builder.

Last edited:
My UPS guy dropped an RPi3B+ in my hands a few minutes ago.

I can confirm @Morias's approach:
  • Had moOde r40 running on an RPi3B
  • Ran through sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade
  • Watched the clock tick while 212MB of new .debs downloaded and installed
  • Rebooted the RPi3B to make sure moOde would still run on it
  • Transferred the uSD card to the new RPi3B+ and booted---success

Attached is the output from sysinfo. (FYI: I installed the patch I proposed the other day to id the new RPi revision)

Haven't tried any exotic settings yet but so far so good.

Regards,
Kent

For some reason this did not work for me, I have a fully functioning instance of Moode 4.0 that I wanted to use in a new 3B+ board I received today.

I tried to execute this through SSH and it yielded the following:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 6.56.58 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 6.56.58 PM.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:

Thanks again for trying.

If you haven't already maybe give this another try using SSH and the @jrocker instructions in Post #13551.

Worked for me on the very first try, and I'm no Linux build expert.

Now I just need to figure out why I can't get it to work on the new 3B+ board (yet).

Last edited:
For some reason this did not work for me, I have a fully functioning instance of Moode 4.0 that I wanted to use in a new 3B+ board I received today.

I tried to execute this through SSH and it yielded the following:

@MikeyFresh

The output you show is what I would expect if you had already run through the update/upgrade process and there was nothing new to do when you tried it again. Indeed, it's what I get now that I've updated the copy of moOde Player now on my RPi3B+.

Here's what I just got from another one of my moOde Players (on an RPi2B, as it happens) running a copy of moOde which was built before the latest release of raspbian.

Code:
pi@moode:~ $ sudo apt-get update
Get:1 [url=http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian]Index of /raspbian[/url] stretch InRelease [15.0 kB]
Get:2 [url=http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian]Index of /debian[/url] stretch InRelease [25.3 kB]
Get:3 [url=http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian]Index of /raspbian[/url] stretch/main armhf Packages [11.7 MB]
Get:4 [url=http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian]Index of /debian[/url] stretch/main armhf Packages [144 kB]
Get:5 [url=http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian]Index of /debian[/url] stretch/ui armhf Packages [28.2 kB]                                  
Fetched 11.9 MB in 24s (493 kB/s)                                                                                          
Reading package lists... Done
pi@moode:~ $ sudo apt-get upgrade
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  raspberrypi-sys-mods
The following packages will be upgraded:
...long list of packages...

Regards,
Kent
edit: oops, sorry, I forgot to turn off the automatic parsing of links.

Hi, Skip.

See R-Pi Troubleshooting - eLinux.org for a discussion of blinky lights during boot. According to this page, a repeating cycle of 8 flashes means you need newer firmware files (bootcode.bin/start.elf).

Have you tried burning the latest release of raspbian (which was released at the same time as the RPi3B+) to a uSD card and booting it?

(And, as always, make sure you have an adequate 5v supply.)

Regards,
Kent

Kent,

Thanks for your reply. I downloaded the Stretch Lite 2018/03/13 image and it booted fine and ssh got me in. All looked good. I then followed the recipe and got to the powerdown instruction without apparent problem. After the powercycle, I just left it (not reestablishing an ssh connection for about 75 minutes) when I went to look at it, it was back in the eight-flash cycle, and would not reboot.

I have poor internet service and am currently past my monthly data limit. That puts me in extremely slow mode. Does the build access the internet after I get the mosbuild stuff? If so, I can see a very early morning session in my future.

Skip

@MikeyFresh

The output you show is what I would expect if you had already run through the update/upgrade process and there was nothing new to do when you tried it again. Indeed, it's what I get now that I've updated the copy of moOde Player now on my RPi3B+.

Here's what I just got from another one of my moOde Players (on an RPi2B, as it happens) running a copy of moOde which was built before the latest release of raspbian.

Code:
pi@moode:~ $ sudo apt-get update
Get:1 [url=http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian]Index of /raspbian[/url] stretch InRelease [15.0 kB]
Get:2 [url=http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian]Index of /debian[/url] stretch InRelease [25.3 kB]
Get:3 [url=http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian]Index of /raspbian[/url] stretch/main armhf Packages [11.7 MB]
Get:4 [url=http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian]Index of /debian[/url] stretch/main armhf Packages [144 kB]
Get:5 [url=http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian]Index of /debian[/url] stretch/ui armhf Packages [28.2 kB]                                  
Fetched 11.9 MB in 24s (493 kB/s)                                                                                          
pi@moode:~ $ sudo apt-get upgrade
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  raspberrypi-sys-mods
The following packages will be upgraded:
...long list of packages...

Regards,
Kent
edit: oops, sorry, I forgot to turn off the automatic parsing of links.

Hi Kent,

Thank you, and in my screenshot it doesn't show but I had nearly the exact amount fetched as you show there, mine said 11.7MB.

But I don't know why the Pi 3B+ won't boot then, the LEDs turn on and the yellow one appears to be flashing somewhat slower than I'm used to, but the Moode UPnP Renderer didn't appear on my network.

I am using Ethernet and not WiFi.

What about the last bit at the bottom in the screenshot below where it states "1 not upgraded"?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 6.56.58 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 6.56.58 PM.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:

Personally would love to get moode to e.g. read my NAS shares (that volumio, osmc and any other devices on the network have no issues with....)

So previously you said SMB/CIFS shares don't work at all and NFS shares mount but do show any files.

It's my guess the SMB/CIFS problem results from entering an incorrect string in the Remote directory field if you have the User ID and Password correct. In the forthcoming r41, Tim has modified the NAS Config page to partially automate this process making it easier (and more like Volumio's) but I've found that the manual process in r40 works for every case that the new process works.

I have SAMBA servers running on a variety of hosts. For example, hostname krypton advertises a share named Music. Using the UNC notation in a CLI mount command I would refer to this as "//krypton/Music" (without the quotation marks). In moOde r40 I would mount this as Host or IP: "krypton" and Remote directory: "Music" (again, without the quotation marks). In moOde r41, the scan process will discover it as "KRYPTON/Music" and I can then select it to mount.

It's my guess that the empty directories in your mounted NFS share results from a clash in permissions. moOde tries to mount the share with the option "sec=sys". I don't know enough about Synology to say how this clashes. It has caused me no problem with OpenMediaVault's NFS server.

Regards,
Kent