Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi,

I have a Pi2, IQAudio DigiAmp+ and I can get it working perfectly out of the box with Volumio. However I can't get it work with MoodeAudio 2.4 (or even 1.8 from the IQAudio site). There is no volume although the Pi displays that it is playing the web radio quite happily. Anyone had any luck with this combination and a clean install? I followed the I2S-based instructions on the MoodAudio site to no avail. Any help appreciated!

Hi,

Probably MPD set to software volume control and ALSA volume is 0 or very low.

Here are recommended settings for IQaudIO Pi-DigiAMP+

(1) Stop play back and set Moode volume knob to 0
(2) MPD config: set MPD volume control to "Hardware"
(3) Menu, Customize: set Logarithmic curve to "Yes"
(4) Bump Moode volume knob from 0 to 10
(5) System config: Verify ALSA volume is around 44%
(6) Test play back

Regards,
Tim

Tim, would it be possible for you to implement update/new image over wifi/lan?

i plan on putting the RPi in a case along with my headphone amp etc.etc and t would make things a looot easier if i could update via lan/wifi (as long as MoOde is already running on the card) as i'll have to make a trap door on the bottom of the case otherwise to remove the card.

i done a bit more investigation about the clicking between tracks and it seems that it is the microsd contacts that is causing some of the problem, i pushed the metal housing in a bit more to force the contacts tighter and the clicking has got better but still there. i might just try and solder the card direct at some point (another reason for update over wifi/lan).

Tim, would it be possible for you to implement update/new image over wifi/lan?

i plan on putting the RPi in a case along with my headphone amp etc.etc and t would make things a looot easier if i could update via lan/wifi (as long as MoOde is already running on the card) as i'll have to make a trap door on the bottom of the case otherwise to remove the card.

i done a bit more investigation about the clicking between tracks and it seems that it is the microsd contacts that is causing some of the problem, i pushed the metal housing in a bit more to force the contacts tighter and the clicking has got better but still there. i might just try and solder the card direct at some point (another reason for update over wifi/lan).

Hi,

In-place update is on the to-do list for Moode 3.0 project (no time frame). It will not appear in the 2.x series releases.

Regards,
Tim

Hi,

Probably MPD set to software volume control and ALSA volume is 0 or very low.

Here are recommended settings for IQaudIO Pi-DigiAMP+

(1) Stop play back and set Moode volume knob to 0
(2) MPD config: set MPD volume control to "Hardware"
(3) Menu, Customize: set Logarithmic curve to "Yes"
(4) Bump Moode volume knob from 0 to 10
(5) System config: Verify ALSA volume is around 44%
(6) Test play back

Regards,
Tim

You star! All working now! I sent you an email through IQAudio which you can now ignore! ;-)

You star! All working now! I sent you an email through IQAudio which you can now ignore! ;-)

Hi,

Glad to hear its working :) The DigiAMP+ is a really nice device. Mine is connected to an HSU STF-1 subwoofer and KEF Q-60 mains. SQ is excellent.

Btw in upcoming Moode 2.5, ALSA volume configuration is fully automated based on MPD volume hardware/software/disabled setting and whether or not a hardware volume controller was detected.

Setup will be painless for audio devices with hardware volume controllers :)

Regards,
Tim

between track clicking solved....

i have been using EAC for a while now but decided to try the 'delete leading and trailing silence blocks' in the extraction settings and eureka it works. now and again i will get a tiny click and mostly on lonnnngggg end of track fade outs but its rare.

i have only tried ripping a few CD's with the setting on so wont know if its been put to rest for good till i have tried more. all my CD's are ripped to flac.

now to rip all my CD's again... this is going to take a while... lol

Hi,

Just a brief update.

As part of the 2.5 code base rewrite there are new smart reboot/poweroff screens. Both screens include a reconnect button and the reboot screen includes a boot-ready ticker that indicates when the reboot is complete :)

Regards,
Tim

Attachments

• moode_r25_smartpoweroff.png
    moode_r25_smartpoweroff.png
    125.8 KB · Views: 243
  • moode_r25_smartreboot.png
    moode_r25_smartreboot.png
    145.1 KB · Views: 249
sorry, pretty sure it has already been asked...

What's the best way to mount only one directory of the USB disk in moode, so that it doesn't index the whole disk?
.mpdignore is not a valid solution.

changing the var/lib/mpd/music/USB link to /mnt/USB/myfolder is good enough or moode has a better way to do this?

EDIT: changing the var/lib/music/USB link messes the browse and library page... :(

Thanks

Last edited:
odd behavior of "edit station" function

Hi, all.

Noobie running MoOde 2.4 on an RPi2/HiBerry DAC+

First impression...this is great. Thanks, Tim; I tip my hat to you.

I'm running this primarily as a high-quality Internet radio input to my HiFi (oh, so last century that is, but then so am I. The next president will be my 14th.).

Adding favorite streaming radios from rust-belt areas I've lived in like Chicago (WFMT) and Cleveland (WCLV), as well as the Baltimore/Washington area, I ran into an odd behavior.

I can "Create new station" just fine. it seems counter-intuitive to have this be an option on each existing station rather than a separate function but I'm no UI designer. I can also "Delete station" just fine.

If I "Edit station", however, I end up with both the edited entry and also the original entries. Odd.

Now, if I could just figure out uPNP/DLNA.

Keep up the good work.

Regards,
Kent

sorry, pretty sure it has already been asked...

What's the best way to mount only one directory of the USB disk in moode, so that it doesn't index the whole disk?
.mpdignore is not a valid solution.

changing the var/lib/mpd/music/USB link to /mnt/USB/myfolder is good enough or moode has a better way to do this?

EDIT: changing the var/lib/music/USB link messes the browse and library page... :(

Thanks

Hi,

Changing the symlink breaks the usbmount config. Maybe change /etc/usbmount/usbmount.conf to use '/mnt/USB/myfolder'

Regards,
Tim

Hi, all.

Noobie running MoOde 2.4 on an RPi2/HiBerry DAC+

First impression...this is great. Thanks, Tim; I tip my hat to you.

I'm running this primarily as a high-quality Internet radio input to my HiFi (oh, so last century that is, but then so am I. The next president will be my 14th.).

Adding favorite streaming radios from rust-belt areas I've lived in like Chicago (WFMT) and Cleveland (WCLV), as well as the Baltimore/Washington area, I ran into an odd behavior.

I can "Create new station" just fine. it seems counter-intuitive to have this be an option on each existing station rather than a separate function but I'm no UI designer. I can also "Delete station" just fine.

If I "Edit station", however, I end up with both the edited entry and also the original entries. Odd.

Now, if I could just figure out uPNP/DLNA.

Keep up the good work.

Regards,
Kent

Hi,

I'll check those stations out and maybe add them to Moode 2.5 :)

Edit station, if you change the station name, creates a new station and leaves the existing one in place. It makes it easier to create a group of stations that share the same base name for example Absolute Radio, BBC, Soma FM.

Having an action menu button on each item in a list is for ease of use, especially when using touchscreen.

Tip: easiest way to get music files going in Moode is to store them on either a USB stick or HDD, or on a network attached storage device (NAS). Then plug in the USB device or configure the NAS source in Moode.

Regards,
Tim

Hi,

I'll check those stations out and maybe add them to Moode 2.5 :)

Well, as long as you're taking suggestions for classical music stations in America's rust belt, besides WFMT in Chicago and WCLV in Cleveland, there's also WRCJ in Detroit ("Classical Days, Jazzy Nights"), WQED in Pittsburgh, WETA in Washington, WBJC in Baltimore, and, in New England, WCRB (a subsidiary of WGBH, Boston). For those who care, WAMU in Washington and WGBH in Boston are good sources of NPR/PRI/etc. I was a radio station engineer before and during college a half-century ago and I still have a great affection for these bricks-and-mortar stations.

I feel reticent about passing on the direct URLs for the streams because many of these stations sustain their online operations through listener contributions. Of course, some prepend their solicitation when you first connect. I found it straight forward to identify the streams themselves even when faced with what I call "beg walls". Many of these stations are streaming their over-the-air broadcasts. Others, I believe, are streaming playlists.

Edit station, if you change the station name, creates a new station and leaves the existing one in place. It makes it easier to create a group of stations that share the same base name for example Absolute Radio, BBC, Soma FM.

That makes perfect sense. I just hadn't run into this use case yet (since the groups you mention are already in the system, especially the Soma FM menagerie, yay!).

Tip: easiest way to get music files going in Moode is to store them on either a USB stick or HDD, or on a network attached storage device (NAS). Then plug in the USB device or configure the NAS source in Moode.

The thing is, I hid the RPi2 on an upper shelf and have no desire to attach local devices. I've already played with Moode accessing an existing NAS and found that process to be straightforward. It's just that I had in the past set up things like Plex Media server and Universal Media Server on Linux hosts for streaming to clients such as my Roku players. Because those clients "just worked", I didn't appreciate until now that we are dealing with three distinct functions: servers, control points, and renderers. It's never too late to teach an old dog new tricks, or at least that's what I keep telling myself!

Thanks for your ultra-quick and helpful response, Tim. This attention to your users just reinforces for me why the Moode Audio player keeps getting better (yeah, I've read through all the release notes!).

Best wishes to all this holiday season.

Regards,
Kent

Hi,

Changing the symlink breaks the usbmount config. Maybe change /etc/usbmount/usbmount.conf to use '/mnt/USB/myfolder'

Regards,
Tim

Thanks, that seems to work. (I need to double check because earlier I chmodded 770 all the directories that mpd user shouldn't see, that worked too as temporary fix but not ideal :D )

• Another question: does MPD Satellite setup ( explained here MPD Advanced configuration ) work on moode?
Anyone tried? I mean put the music folder AND mpd on a server, then use the raspberry as a slave connected through lan, reading the music AND the already indexed db from the server.

Just curious if this would work on moode and it's interface or it would mess up the interface/library tab?

What would be the advantages? apart from faster indexing maybe?

Well, as long as you're taking suggestions for classical music stations in America's rust belt, besides WFMT in Chicago and WCLV in Cleveland, there's also WRCJ in Detroit ("Classical Days, Jazzy Nights"), WQED in Pittsburgh, WETA in Washington, WBJC in Baltimore, and, in New England, WCRB (a subsidiary of WGBH, Boston). For those who care, WAMU in Washington and WGBH in Boston are good sources of NPR/PRI/etc. I was a radio station engineer before and during college a half-century ago and I still have a great affection for these bricks-and-mortar stations.

I feel reticent about passing on the direct URLs for the streams because many of these stations sustain their online operations through listener contributions. Of course, some prepend their solicitation when you first connect. I found it straight forward to identify the streams themselves even when faced with what I call "beg walls". Many of these stations are streaming their over-the-air broadcasts. Others, I believe, are streaming playlists.

That makes perfect sense. I just hadn't run into this use case yet (since the groups you mention are already in the system, especially the Soma FM menagerie, yay!).

The thing is, I hid the RPi2 on an upper shelf and have no desire to attach local devices. I've already played with Moode accessing an existing NAS and found that process to be straightforward. It's just that I had in the past set up things like Plex Media server and Universal Media Server on Linux hosts for streaming to clients such as my Roku players. Because those clients "just worked", I didn't appreciate until now that we are dealing with three distinct functions: servers, control points, and renderers. It's never too late to teach an old dog new tricks, or at least that's what I keep telling myself!

Thanks for your ultra-quick and helpful response, Tim. This attention to your users just reinforces for me why the Moode Audio player keeps getting better (yeah, I've read through all the release notes!).

Best wishes to all this holiday season.

Regards,
Kent

Hi Kent,

Likewise, enjoy the holidays and don't forget to:

Eat, Drink and be Merry!

Regards,
Tim

Hi,
does anyone has any experiences with different audio buffer sizes? What are they for? Tweaking network connections? The lower, the better or the other way round? What are reasonable values? How do they change the sound?
Hmm

Luki

my understanding (more than likely wrong) is they are the same as 'data stream' audio buffer on sound cards for audio mixing in the digital domain. its a fairly complex subject so best to look up 'audio buffer' on google. basically too high can be as bad as too low and the upshot is if you can hear pops and clicks while a track is playing (not the same as clicks between tracks) then the buffer is too low. generally you want as low as possible to create a 'stream' of data in and out of the sound card/dac.

think of traffic on a road and they come to a set of lights, when the traffic is just right enough cars get through the first set of lights and not let them build up at the second set of lights, if the first set of lights is too slow then there will be no cars at the second set of lights as they are changing faster, if the first set of lights is too fast then it will let too many cars through and cause a congestion between the first and second set of lights.

so unless your having problems then i would leave it alone.