Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Help me out guys....

I got Tidal streaming via BubbleUPnP. Works great. You can actually control through the BubbleUPnP app, Tidal (via "Share" with BubbleUPnP), and once the playlist is added, you can control the playback through MoOde. Basically, for those that have not installed 4.0, you can load a playlist, one song, or a whole album. I usually load a whole album at a time and then all those tracks will appear in MoOde's Playlist. Pretty cool.

My problem is that BubbleUPnP is a serious battery drain. And I mean serious. I had 70% battery last night and forgot to turn off BubbleUPnP on my Android phone, and my alarm did not go off this morning because my battery died. Now, nothing was playing, but Android was just running the UPnP server all night.

Anyone else with this issue? And anyone with a fix besides remembering to turn off the server? Because you have to do more than close the app, you actually have to go into Settings -> Battery -> Apps and Stop the server. As I understand it, BubbleUPnP was designed for Androids permanently plugged into a power source with it constantly running.

True, but in my setup I would like to have a HAT DAC attached on to the RPi. The particular DAC I have has the RCA outputs attached perpendicular to the USB/ETHERNET ports. If I don't invert the screen, they would end up facing downwards, with not much elevation to plug my thick RCA cables, so I want them facing upwards instead. I like the design of the Audiophonics DAC which have the RCA facing in the same direction as the USB/ETHERNET ports.

I had the same problem. But having them facing up was not ideal for me either. I solved it with cheap L-shape RCA connections. Now they point backwards, and the cables are barely visible. Works for me, but it all depends on the setup you have, YMMV...

So the option to rotate the screen is welcome too :)
HTH!

I had the same problem. But having them facing up was not ideal for me either. I solved it with cheap L-shape RCA connections. Now they point backwards, and the cables are barely visible. Works for me, but it all depends on the setup you have, YMMV...

So the option to rotate the screen is welcome too :)
HTH!

Personally I like keep the analogue route as simple as possible, but great idea there!

Some feedback regarding the b10 recipe:

Code:
L192: # SR1
L193: sudo poweroff

Shouldn't this be sudo reboot?

Code:
L380: // STEP 7 - Create moOde runtime environment
L421: sudo cp ./rel-stretch/network/interfaces.default /etc/network/interfaces
L422: sudo cp ./rel-stretch/network/wpa_supplicant.conf.default /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
L423: sudo cp ./rel-stretch/network/dhcpcd.conf.default /etc/dhcpcd.conf
L424: sudo cp ./rel-stretch/network/hostapd.conf.default /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf

This will make the moode bootup in hostap mode, so you have to reconfigure it already from the webinterface. It's OK, but it should be noted to the user here:

Code:
L499: # SR5
L500: sudo reboot

Otherwise the build went OK. If you don't install all the components, the webUI doesn't complain when you try to turn them on. That might be a bug in the future that will cause people some confusion why airplay isn't working ;)

Thank you for moode!
Matt

Hi Matt,

Shoot me an email and I'll send you a short procedure for Setting the Feature Availability bit mask. It controls which features are visible in the UI.

-Tim

Help me out guys....

I got Tidal streaming via BubbleUPnP. Works great. You can actually control through the BubbleUPnP app, Tidal (via "Share" with BubbleUPnP), and once the playlist is added, you can control the playback through MoOde. Basically, for those that have not installed 4.0, you can load a playlist, one song, or a whole album. I usually load a whole album at a time and then all those tracks will appear in MoOde's Playlist. Pretty cool.

My problem is that BubbleUPnP is a serious battery drain. And I mean serious. I had 70% battery last night and forgot to turn off BubbleUPnP on my Android phone, and my alarm did not go off this morning because my battery died. Now, nothing was playing, but Android was just running the UPnP server all night.

Anyone else with this issue? And anyone with a fix besides remembering to turn off the server? Because you have to do more than close the app, you actually have to go into Settings -> Battery -> Apps and Stop the server. As I understand it, BubbleUPnP was designed for Androids permanently plugged into a power source with it constantly running.

You need to configure Tidal in the Moode UI , this will create a Moode Media Server through which you can browse Tidal with.

UPMPDCLI if it has Tidal ( or Qobuz/Gmusic) settings will generate a UPNP server interface into Tidal. What you need to do is select the library 'Moode UPNP-mediaserver' in BubbleUPNP and you can browse Tidal.

You do not need to use the Local Cloud option in the BubbleUPN control point and you do not need to run the BubbleUPNP server.

Last edited:
UPnP/TIDAL

Anyone else having trouble with UPnP/TIDAL?

Setup: moOde r40b10. Changed "Moode" to "Moode Blue" everywhere a name is needed. UPnP configured for TIDAL in moOde (checked that TIDAL credentials are correct in upmpdcli.conf). Using BubbleUPnP on my Android phone with "Moode Blue UPnP" selected as the renderer. BubbleUPnP also has my TIDAL credentials.

Scenario 1: Use BubbleUPnP as the proxy media server. In BubbleUPnP, select LIBRARY/Local and Cloud/Cloud/TIDAL, then select a TIDAL playlist and start it. In moOde, the Playback panel displays the playlist and the coverart and the first track starts playing.

Scenario 2: use moOde as the proxy media server. In BubbleUPnP, select /LIBRARY/Moode Blue UPnP-mediaserver, then select the same TIDAL playlist and start it. In moOde, the Playback panel displays the playlist but "Cover art not found" and the first track does not start playing. Instead, the final track in the playlist is shown as selected but no joy.

Example log entries [1]

scenario 1:
Code:
Dec 01 10:46 : player: played "http://192.168.1.157:57645/proxy/tidal/BFE71F894506F1C3D3E435AD687D09D0.m4a"
scenario 2:
Code:
Dec 01 10:49 : exception: Failed to decode [url]http://192.168.1.236:49149/tidal/track?version=1&trackId=77599441[/url]
Dec 01 10:49 : exception: nested: CURL failed: Empty reply from server
Dec 01 10:49 : player: played "http://192.168.1.236:49149/tidal/track?version=1&trackId=77599441"
<repeats for all 16 tracks in the playlist>
where 192.168.1.236 is the IP of the moode-blue host.

IIRC all this "just worked" for me in some previous version. As always, it's possible I missed a step somewhere. Any thoughts?

Aside to @rtaylor76 - all my Android media-related apps seem to be big battery eaters:eek:

Regards,
Kent

[1] Tim - What's up with two mpd log files:confused:
Code:
pi@moode-blue:/var/log/mpd $  ls -l
total 16
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  14774 Dec  1 10:57 log
-rw-r--r-- 1 mpd  audio     0 Nov 29 10:55 mpd.log

Setup: moOde r40b10. Changed "Moode" to "Moode Blue" everywhere a name is needed. UPnP configured for TIDAL in moOde (checked that TIDAL credentials are correct in upmpdcli.conf). Using BubbleUPnP on my Android phone with "Moode Blue UPnP" selected as the renderer. BubbleUPnP also has my TIDAL credentials.

Scenario 1: Use BubbleUPnP as the proxy media server. In BubbleUPnP, select LIBRARY/Local and Cloud/Cloud/TIDAL, then select a TIDAL playlist and start it. In moOde, the Playback panel displays the playlist and the coverart and the first track starts playing.

Scenario 2: use moOde as the proxy media server. In BubbleUPnP, select /LIBRARY/Moode Blue UPnP-mediaserver, then select the same TIDAL playlist and start it. In moOde, the Playback panel displays the playlist but "Cover art not found" and the first track does not start playing. Instead, the final track in the playlist is shown as selected but no joy.

Example log entries [1]

scenario 1:
Code:
Dec 01 10:46 : player: played "http://192.168.1.157:57645/proxy/tidal/BFE71F894506F1C3D3E435AD687D09D0.m4a"
scenario 2:
Code:
Dec 01 10:49 : exception: Failed to decode [url]http://192.168.1.236:49149/tidal/track?version=1&trackId=77599441[/url]
Dec 01 10:49 : player: played "http://192.168.1.236:49149/tidal/track?version=1&trackId=77599441"

IIRC all this "just worked" for me in some previous version. As always, it's possible I missed a step somewhere. Any thoughts?

Aside to @rtaylor76 - all my Android media-related apps seem to be big battery eaters:eek:

Regards,
Kent

Code:
total 16

Are those log entries the MPD logs or UPMPDCLI log?

Example log entries [1]

scenario 1:
Code:
scenario 2:
Code:

Regards,
Kent

Code:
total 16

Nice catch!

mpd.log is old and due to the build recipe. The real log is /var/log/mpd/log

I'll correct the build recipe

-Tim

Example log entries [1]

scenario 1:
Code:
scenario 2:
Code:

Regards,
Kent

Code:
total 16

I am assuming this is the UPMPDCLI log, what log level are you running at , can you switch to 11 , sorry I mean 5.

I think the reason the that the last in the play list is selected as it has tried and failed to play all the previous entries in the playlist.

Unfortunately I pinned my flag to the Qobuz pole so all I can test is browsing Tidal as my account is still their but it wont let me stream.

Are those log entries the MPD logs or UPMPDCLI log?

Good point. These are mpd entries. I forgot to edit upmpdcli.conf manually to enable upmpdcli logging. Have now enabled level 5 logging and rebooted.

Same visible behavior. The new moodeupnp.log file is showing stuff that isn't very illuminating and the mpd log file shows curl now has a different kind of heartburn.

Oh, wait. Looking at /var/log/daemon.log, I see messages of the sort
Code:
Dec  1 09:44:06 moode-blue upmpdcli[15271]: Requested quality is not allowed in user's subscription

Aha! The default Stream quality setting in the UPnP/TIDAL Music Service panel is "lossless (FLAC)". I had to dial it all the way down to "low bitrate (AAC)" before I could get tracks to play on my trial subscription.

All good but not a very user-friendly response to naiveté. Just another item for hints and kinks.

Regards,
Kent

Good point. These are mpd entries. I forgot to edit upmpdcli.conf manually to enable upmpdcli logging. Have now enabled level 5 logging and rebooted.

Same visible behavior. The new moodeupnp.log file is showing stuff that isn't very illuminating and the mpd log file shows curl now has a different kind of heartburn.

Oh, wait. Looking at /var/log/daemon.log, I see messages of the sort
Code:
Dec  1 09:44:06 moode-blue upmpdcli[15271]: Requested quality is not allowed in user's subscription

Aha! The default Stream quality setting in the UPnP/TIDAL Music Service panel is "lossless (FLAC)". I had to dial it all the way down to "low bitrate (AAC)" before I could get tracks to play on my trial subscription.

All good but not a very user-friendly response to naiveté. Just another item for hints and kinks.

Regards,
Kent

Yes interesting to know..

You can sometimes find some upmpdcli in syslog as well.

Also it is interesting to see that the Bubble UPNP proxy option seems to transcode to m4a.

I am assuming this is the UPMPDCLI log, what log level are you running at , can you switch to 11 , sorry I mean 5.
"This is Spinal Tap" is 33 years old. Obviously "11" is a durable meme!
I think the reason the that the last in the play list is selected as it has tried and failed to play all the previous entries in the playlist.
Yup.
Unfortunately I pinned my flag to the Qobuz pole so all I can test is browsing Tidal as my account is still their but it wont let me stream.

I haven't dipped my toe in the Qobuz waters; I still can't even decide if I want a subscribe long-term to any streaming service.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Regards,
Kent

There will be some issues like these as the Tidal/Qobuz interfaces are UPNP translations of a web api and not full web based implementations so some error messages are hard to pass back as a UPNP message to the control point.

Another interesting one is in Qobuz, in Qobuz there will be songs that cannot played or are only available in 30s clips for licensing reasons.

The UPMPDCLI developer (and perhaps the original developers of the library) took the decision NOT to show these tracks in the search results, a decision he has said he is willing to look at. Bubble when using its integration has the ability to hide these tracks from search results as well in its setup, but as it is doing the talking to Qobuz outside UPNP protocols so can display a message about the track.

I used unfortunately Qobuz in terms of the issue.

I quite like Qobuz for its quirkiness , maybe because it is French :), there is quite a wide variety of music and a lot of non English language music. Maybe some of it is also because it is European and despite the efforts of some of my fellow country man I consider myself European.

Forgetting to cancel my trial subscription had a big influence on the decision as well.

I partly justify a streaming account by how many LP's I have saved myself buying and finding out I only liked one track.

I also saw Spinal tap the first time round and it is forever imprinted.

Renderers: Bluetooth name compulsory

When configure Airplay or DLNA, I am forced to enter a name for the Bluetooth speaker. Even though my Rpi2 doesn't even have Bluetooth. I think this should not be necessary.

Having said that, the Airplay receiver doesn't seem to become visible here. Maybe I missed something in the config steps?