Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hello at all

I think that the missing or inadequate description (user manual) of the settings in moOde audio is the biggest deficiency with this outstanding software. Especially for beginners, the variety of possibilities presents an insurmountable barrier. From my point of view, the information behind the individual settings, indicated by an "i", provides for the minimal clarifications, which require extensive knowledge, which beginners do not have.
A detailed description of the possibilities moOdeaudio provides is worth a look.
This is an urgent need to be improved.

This is my personal opinion here.

Best regards
Bernd

Is that via editing a config file using ssh login, if so what file and where as I don't see that option anywhere in the web interface.

more info pleeeese :D

Not ssh, it's in the settings where you configured things when you set up: Moode symbol top right, Audio Config.
It may be that you need to be using one of the Advanced Kernels for it to show up.

Last edited:
Not ssh, it's in the settings where you configured things when you set up: Moode symbol top right, Audio Config.
It may be that you need to be using one of the Advanced Kernels for it to show up.

Im already using the advanced kernels. maybe its not an option on the ti 5242 chipset in my dac. however thinking about it when I first built my dac I scoped the kali clk signals and the clocks maxed out at 50mhz (192khz) going above 192k still gave me sound but the kali must of been dropping every other sample. so I stuck at 192k 32bit. without kali i can go to 384k but sound is much better with kali in place. :)

Hi,

No issues w/Dual-Mono on my end. Looking at the RCA jacks its L/mute mute/R.

There is also a test cmd in the home dir named piano.sh. It dumps out the mode setting and volume levels.

Below is with MPD set to Hardware and moOde knob at 30. If MPD set to Software volume then volume levels below would all be 0dB (100%).

pi@rp3:~ $ ./piano.sh
Dual mode: Dual-Mono
Subw mode: None
Sub xover: 60
Sub level: 70%
Main levl: 70%
Mstr levl: 70%

-Tim

Hi Tim

I also have problems with piano 2.1 dual mono.
My .piano.sh is
Sub level: 83%

Sub level value always is 83% even if you change it.

I have opened alsamixer and I have seen that the volume of the first subwofer remains fixed at 53%., It does not change when there is more or less volume. This is something similar to what happened a while ago with Volumio and Allo had to solve it.

Thanks for help.

Upgraded from 3.7 to 3.8.2 (well, a fresh install actually).

It took a while to get the IP addressing to be sorted out (just like last time).
The best option for me has been to 'reserve' an IP for the RPI's WiFi adapter on my router. Using DHCP works better than static for me.

Now, I want to get rid of most of the radio stations. Trying to listen to them one by one and then removing them from GUI has been excruciatingly slow process.

Any tips on how to get rid of most of the ones that I do not like?

My audio configuration with Allo BOSS DAC:
Driver options: slave disabled.
ALSA volume: 100%
Crossfeed DSP, Equalizer DSP: disabled

MPD configuration:
Volume control: disabled
SoX resampling: 32/ 384
SoX quality: Very high
SoX multithreading: no
Vol normalization: no

Sounds good. :)

Hallo Tim !

Moode 3.8.2 - rpi2-Kali-Piano 2.1 (dual mono)

loudness- disable
- played only subwofer channel (R)
- correction enrolment ssh and set alsamixer (first column) on 100
- restart arrangement returns however everything back

loudness- hardware
- then is everything OK- loudness of both channel go together and after restarting arrangement

Big interest in loudness "disable" !
:)
Thanks !

I tried the RT advanced kernel in dual mono with hardware volume disabled (Moode 3.8.2- Pi2-IanIsolator-Kali-Piano 2.1) as well and got the same one channel only too. It didn't occur to me to try with the software volume enabled. I'll try that later if I get the chance.

Tim, MoOde has evolved into a fantastic player. Thank you for all your hard work!

Is that via editing a config file using ssh login, if so what file and where as I don't see that option anywhere in the web interface.

more info pleeeese :D

Im already using the advanced kernels. maybe its not an option on the ti 5242 chipset in my dac. however thinking about it when I first built my dac I scoped the kali clk signals and the clocks maxed out at 50mhz (192khz) going above 192k still gave me sound but the kali must of been dropping every other sample. so I stuck at 192k 32bit. without kali i can go to 384k but sound is much better with kali in place. :)

Hi Tim

I also have problems with piano 2.1 dual mono.
My .piano.sh is
Sub level: 83%

Sub level value always is 83% even if you change it.

I have opened alsamixer and I have seen that the volume of the first subwofer remains fixed at 53%., It does not change when there is more or less volume. This is something similar to what happened a while ago with Volumio and Allo had to solve it.

Thanks for help.

Hi,

I'm not able to repro the issue: "Piano 2.1 Dual-Mono and only one channel".

Below are some troubleshooting steps. I've also included screen shots of the Piano 2.1 Driver and Device options.

1) moOde System info screen:

- Verify you are running release 3.8.2
- Verify you are running one of the 4.9.41 Linux kernels
- Verify that Mixer name = Master

2) Remove the Kali re-clocker and connect just the Piano 2.1

3) Reboot

4) Open the Audio config screen

- Verify that I2S audio device = Allo Piano 2.1 Hi-Fi DAC
- Verify that Driver options = glb_mclk Disabled

a) Click EDIT SETTINGS for Chip/Device options

- Change Piano 2.1 Output mode to Subwoofer 2.1
- Click APPLY
- Reboot
- Change Piano 2.1 Output mode to Dual-Mono
- Click APPLY
- Reboot

b) Click EDIT SETTINGS for MPD options

- Set SoX resampling = disabled
- Click the APPLY button

5) From an ssh session:

- ssh pi@moode (pwd = moodeaudio)
- ./piano.sh

Sub xover: 90
Sub level: 0%
Main levl: 0%
Mstr levl: 0%

The three volumes will either initially be 0% if MPD set to Hardware volume, or 100% if MPD set to Software or disabled.

6) Play some music and verify that Dual-Mono mode functions correctly and the channels are L/mute mute/R when looking at the RCA jacks.

7) Shutdown, add the Kali re-clocker and then verify both channels are outputting correctly

-Tim

Attachments

• piano21-glb-mclk.png
    piano21-glb-mclk.png
    80.5 KB · Views: 289
  • piano21-device-options.png
    piano21-device-options.png
    112.3 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
Hi, Tom.

I'm on a road trip and using my phone so will be brief (or else my finger will wear out).

Have you tried running one of these RPis with the DAC removed but no change in location, enclosure, WiFi setup, power arrangement, OS, etc? If it remains accessible for up a reasonable time (in your case, more than 20 days, apparently) then it's tempting to say the culprit is indeed EMI from the DAC to the WiFi adapter.

I only say " tempting" because it is also possible to point an accusatory finger at your power supply and power cabling. If the supply is marginal then the extra load of the DAC might be enough to pull the supply voltage over the edge, so to speak. Similarly, if the cabling conductors have high enough resistance (small diameter/long length) the extra load could again pull the supply voltage down enough. Also, the more marginal the supply voltage, the more the system will be susceptible to EMI coupled to the supply line from the DAC.

Regards,
Kent

Thanks for the suggestion, Kent.

Re: power. I recognize that power is a critical issue, and have spent some effort to provide clean reliable power to my RPi devices. It may be involved in my problem, but here's why I think not:
1. All three of the power supplies that I am using now provide 5V with > 2.0 amp. One is an ifi iPower, one is a linear power supply, and one is a decent cell phone charger.
2. When I use USB cables, they are minimum 20 ga, maximum 3 ft. Once or twice a year I clean all audio connections with Deoxit. More frequently if I suspect a problem connection.
3. I also periodically check the voltage and current draw with an mini V&A monitor.
4. Local AC power is generally very good. Minimal power outages or brownouts.
5. Given the variety of power supplies, cables, and connectors used when the problem develops, it seems to me that the source of the problem lies elsewhere.

The thing that I don't understand is how the RPi is communicating with the router (since internet radio will continue to play for hours at least) when the router indicates that the device IP is not active. Does that symptom point to the router or to the wireless device as the source of the problem?

Tom

Hi,

I'm not able to repro the issue: "Piano 2.1 Dual-Mono and only one channel".

Below are some troubleshooting steps. I've also included screen shots of the Piano 2.1 Driver and Device options.

1) moOde System info screen:

- Verify you are running release 3.8.2
- Verify you are running one of the 4.9.41 Linux kernels
- Verify that Mixer name = Master

2) Remove the Kali re-clocker and connect just the Piano 2.1

3) Reboot

4) Open the Audio config screen

- Verify that I2S audio device = Allo Piano 2.1 Hi-Fi DAC
- Verify that Driver options = glb_mclk Disabled

a) Click EDIT SETTINGS for Chip/Device options

- Change Piano 2.1 Output mode to Subwoofer 2.1
- Click APPLY
- Reboot
- Change Piano 2.1 Output mode to Dual-Mono
- Click APPLY
- Reboot

b) Click EDIT SETTINGS for MPD options

- Set SoX resampling = disabled
- Click the APPLY button

5) From an ssh session:

- ssh pi@moode (pwd = moodeaudio)
- ./piano.sh

Sub xover: 90
Sub level: 0%
Main levl: 0%
Mstr levl: 0%

The three volumes will either initially be 0% if MPD set to Hardware volume, or 100% if MPD set to Software or disabled.

6) Play some music and verify that Dual-Mono mode functions correctly and the channels are L/mute mute/R when looking at the RCA jacks.

7) Shutdown, add the Kali re-clocker and then verify both channels are outputting correctly

-Tim

Tim,

Having had a further play with settings, this is only occurring with Volume Control set to 'disabled' in MPD settings. When set to 'hardware things work fine. RCA's are L/mute/mute/R

Si

The best check is to ping. There's a lot of rubbish code posing as router GUIs these days.

I did get a chuckle as to how specific you are about the gauge and cleaning of your cables.

Do you suspect 'problem' connections very often?

Which way are they flowing?

Z...
Thanks for the reply. I will ping.

Re: cables/connections. I do what I reasonably can to minimize resistance between PS and device. Minimize cable length. Maximize wire gauge (20 ga. is the maximum that I can find for a USB cable). Ensure connections are clean.

Problem connections usually appear at beginning or end of product life. If a new cable or adapter gives me any suggestion of a problem I am quick to toss it in the trash. Likewise, cables/adapters that have had a hard life get an attempt to rejuvenate; problem gets solved or disposal.

For RPi's specifically, I watch the power led a lot, especially on startup. Any flicker will trigger a diagnostic exam on my part. USB V&A monitor is a very useful tool.

Not sure what you meant by the "flowing" question".

Tom

Tim,

Having had a further play with settings, this is only occurring with Volume Control set to 'disabled' in MPD settings. When set to 'hardware things work fine. RCA's are L/mute/mute/R

Si

Hi Si,

Ran a quick test w/MPD volume control set to disabled and no issues. All Piano volume controllers were correctly set to 100% and Dual-Mono playback was perfect.

Are u sure that your downstream volume attenuator is functioning correctly?

I had an issue once with an analog volume attenuator where at low volume settings there was a considerable difference between L/R channel levels.

-Tim

Hi Phil,

Maybe. I guess we will find out when 0.20.10 is released or Max responds to the update I posted to issue #98 and confirms that the patch addresses the issue.

-Tim

Just upgraded from 3.1 to 3.8.2 running the RT kernel and was quite surprised at the level of improvement !

Of course, most of my library is .aiff :(

Once MPD is patched, will there be another Moode release to incorporate it or will that wait for other enhancements to be included ?

Thanks for the suggestion, Kent.
.....The thing that I don't understand is how the RPi is communicating with the router (since internet radio will continue to play for hours at least) when the router indicates that the device IP is not active. Does that symptom point to the router or to the wireless device as the source of the problem?

Tom

Does your router use IPV6? My Moode installations seem to connect by default to the IPV6 radio on my router - despite the SSID being set to the (different) IPV4 SSID. When this happens on reboot, the music starts playing (auto start enabled) but there's no sign of the IP address on the IPV4 SSID and I can't connect via the GUI. If I switch to IPV6, it's there and all is peace.....

@Tim - is it possible to include the 'turn off Bluetooth only' overlay as a switch option? Wondering if it'll help sound quality??

Just upgraded from 3.1 to 3.8.2 running the RT kernel and was quite surprised at the level of improvement !

Of course, most of my library is .aiff :(

Once MPD is patched, will there be another Moode release to incorporate it or will that wait for other enhancements to be included ?

Hi,

Hopefully the next MPD release fixes the AIFF issue.

If it does I'll make it available as an in-place update.

-Tim

Does your router use IPV6? My Moode installations seem to connect by default to the IPV6 radio on my router - despite the SSID being set to the (different) IPV4 SSID. When this happens on reboot, the music starts playing (auto start enabled) but there's no sign of the IP address on the IPV4 SSID and I can't connect via the GUI. If I switch to IPV6, it's there and all is peace.....

My router (ASUS RT-AC68U) is IPV6-capable. That feature is currently disabled. I will check into this further.

Thanks,
Tom

@Tim - is it possible to include the 'turn off Bluetooth only' overlay as a switch option? Wondering if it'll help sound quality??

Hi,

moOde 4.0 will introduce System profiles and one of them will be "least processes running" and so yes, BT OFF will be part of this profile.

-Tim