Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Your Moode taking too long to bootup on WiFi?

Just want to share a fix for bootup delay. If like me, you know next to nothing about Linux, this step by step may help if you use a Win pc.

Moode took several minutes to boot on my wifi setup. It should take less than a minute, so this is what I did with my Win8 pc.

I notice during boot the attached monitor shows the delay happening at the line DHCPDISCOVER. It retries repeatedly for over a minute before giving up with "No DHCPOFFERS received". Then it carries on booting. Tim says a setting in the config file is trying to make Linux get an ethernet link when there's none since I'm using wifi. The fix is to edit the Moode image file.

Make a backup copy of your image file with Win32diskimager (you'll need to reinstall SD card if you mess up)
Download Putty.exe and in Putty,
enter Host = moode (or IP address of your moode server)
User ID = root
Password = moode
press OPEN

at the moode command prompt type:

1. /var/www/tcmods/r24/cmds/utility.sh edit-eth0
2. put # in front of both "eth0" lines at bottom of the file
3. press Ctrl-x, then y, then <return> to save the file
4. reboot

Thanks Tim for your unstinting support!

Hi,

Thanks for all the work you've put into Moode Tim, I'm just giving it a whirl for the first time after screwing up a Volumio install as the enhancements looked good (and are now that I'm using them :) ).

Yes, 0.19.1 is MPD version on Moode 2.3. Here is how 0.19.10 options differ from 0.19.1 options based on my current ./configure.

Playlist plugins:
extm3u m3u pls xspf asx rss soundcloud cue embcue

Protocols:
file:// http:// https:// mms:// mmsh:// mmst:// mmsu:// gopher:// rtp:// rtsp:// rtmp:// rtmpt:// rtmps:// smb:// nfs:// alsa://

I've used MPD on my server (Gentoo) for some time but have never succeeded in getting soundcloud to work. Could you advise how the playlist plugin works with Moode?

The other question I have is that the release notes mention..

======================
2.2 Release 2015-08-30
======================

New features

- NEW: Synchronized multi-room audio via Shairport-sync Airplay receiver

I've two Pi2/iQaudio DAC+ and am keen to get multiroom synchronised audio working. I've come across descriptions of how to do this with MPD via PulseAudio, but this implementation in Moode sounds to take a different approach (Airplay is something Apple produce isn't it?). How would I go about configuring synchronised playback under Moode?

Thanks in advance,

slackline

Hi wj,

Thanks for the support! I truly appreciate it :)

Mpdscribble is on the to-do list for release 2.5.

Regards,
Tim

I'm running it since a few months and it works perfectly. Repost for who needs it:
BTW If someone needs lastfm scrobbling, I just installed mpdscribble on moode v2.0 this way:

- ssh to your pi running moode, login and do:
Code:
sudo apt-get install mpdscribble

- After install, Lastfm ID/password must be set in /etc/mpdscribble.conf
- I had also to change MPD_SYSTEMWIDE=1 in /etc/default/mpdscribble
- rebooted and it started working.

It's reporting fine to last.fm.

Clearly it would be easier for linux newcomers if this could all be done from webUI settings, but mine's working great and it's easy enough following these steps :cool:

Hello,
I have troubles to add my NAS drive to Moode Player.
With other players i managed to get things working, but now it just won'n work..
Please help me.

I choose the folowing settings
IP: 192.168.2.205 (this is my NAS)
remote dir: Media/Audio/albums (in windows: \\MEDIADRIVE\Media\Audio\albums )
No username and No password,

After safe i can not find any files in the Browse / Nas window, also not after update.

when i get back in the source configuration it tells me: Last mount error
username specified with no parameter

I have no username on my nas..

Someone any idea?

Thank you,
Peter

Hello,
I have troubles to add my NAS drive to Moode Player.
With other players i managed to get things working, but now it just won'n work..
Please help me.

I choose the folowing settings
IP: 192.168.2.205 (this is my NAS)
remote dir: Media/Audio/albums (in windows: \\MEDIADRIVE\Media\Audio\albums )
No username and No password,

After safe i can not find any files in the Browse / Nas window, also not after update.

when i get back in the source configuration it tells me: Last mount error
username specified with no parameter

I have no username on my nas..

Someone any idea?

Thank you,
Peter

What NAS are you using?

How is it sharing files (NFS or Samba/CIFS)?

If you're not using the same method for mounting them in Moode as the NAS is using for sharing them then it won't work. I.e. if your NAS is sharing using NFS and you're trying to mount in Moode with Samba/CIFS it won't work (and vice-versa).

What NAS are you using?

How is it sharing files (NFS or Samba/CIFS)?

If you're not using the same method for mounting them in Moode as the NAS is using for sharing them then it won't work. I.e. if your NAS is sharing using NFS and you're trying to mount in Moode with Samba/CIFS it won't work (and vice-versa).

My NAS (openmediavault) uses Samba so i can use any windows computer with it.
is the adres i type correct?

Regards,
Peter

Hi Peter,

Give this a try.

(1) At the bottom of the "NAS source" screen, click "Show advanced options"
(2) Add "sec=ntlm," (without the quotes) to the beginning of the "Mount flags" field
(3) Press SAVE btn

Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim,
Nope, does not help..
Last mount error: username specified with no parameter

this are the settings:

Source name :Test

Fileshare protocol :SMB/CIFS
IP address :192.168.2.205

Remote directory: Media/Audio/albums

Username:
Password:

advanced options

Charset
UTF8 (default)
Rsize 8048
Wsize 8096
Mount flags : sec=ntlm,nfsvers=3,ro,noatime

Do i have the slashes right? (in windows the location is: \\MEDIADRIVE\Media\Audio\albums

Regards,
Peter

Hi Tim,
Nope, does not help..
Last mount error: username specified with no parameter

this are the settings:

Source name :Test

Fileshare protocol :SMB/CIFS
IP address :192.168.2.205

Remote directory: Media/Audio/albums

Username:
Password:

advanced options

Charset
UTF8 (default)
Rsize 8048
Wsize 8096
Mount flags : sec=ntlm,nfsvers=3,ro,noatime

Do i have the slashes right? (in windows the location is: \\MEDIADRIVE\Media\Audio\albums

Regards,
Peter

Hi Peter,

These flags nfsvers=3,ro,noatime are for an NFS mount. This can happen when NFS is first tried, then switch to CIFS/SMB protocol. The mount flags don't get reset. Looks like a bug :)

To fix:

(1) On Source config screen, click the NAS source and press REMOVE this NAS source.

(2) Create new source and specify CIFS/SMB protocol

(3) If still not working, then add "sec=ntlm" to front of mount flags.

(4) Default mount flags for CIFS/SMB look like below
cache=strict,ro,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777

Regards,
Tim

Peter,

I'm using openmediavault as well with no problem. You probably can "fight" the advanced mount-flags and set-up files to get it to work but the easier solution is to just add a new user with password in openmediavault (or use an existing one that has access rights to your music folder)

In openmediavault interface:
1. Under Access Rights Management / User: Click on User: Add user and call it for example "moode" with password "moode". Keep everything else as-is.

2. Click on Privileges and give the new user access to your shared music folders.

3. Go to Access Rights Management/Shared folders: Click on your shared music folder and then privileges: Slide the slider for the new user to have access to the folder and hit save.

In Moode NAS Source config screen
You have the "slashes" right, just make sure you have it capitilized correctly.
Change back all the advanced options to the default settings Moode came with.
Add the new user and password and then hit save.

This works for me on the latest version of Openmediavault.

BTW: If someone is looking for a great way to set-up a NAS for music files, I highly recommend to check out openmediavault which is a free NAS/mediaserver/plex/emby/docker/"whatever you want it it do server". It doesn't require much resources so it can be installed on old computers or low power home servers (even raspberry pi/odroid type of boards). Everything is configured in a web-based user-interface just like moode.
OpenMediaVault - The open network attached storage solution

Hi Peter,

These flags nfsvers=3,ro,noatime are for an NFS mount. This can happen when NFS is first tried, then switch to CIFS/SMB protocol. The mount flags don't get reset. Looks like a bug :)

To fix:

(1) On Source config screen, click the NAS source and press REMOVE this NAS source.

(2) Create new source and specify CIFS/SMB protocol

(3) If still not working, then add "sec=ntlm" to front of mount flags.

(4) Default mount flags for CIFS/SMB look like below
cache=strict,ro,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777

Regards,
Tim

still no succes.
it keeps telling me the same thing..
After this i did a reboot, and now i don't have the NAS and USB items in the Browse menu.. webradio is available and working...

I will try again.

Peter,

I'm using openmediavault as well with no problem. You probably can "fight" the advanced mount-flags and set-up files to get it to work but the easier solution is to just add a new user with password in openmediavault (or use an existing one that has access rights to your music folder)

In openmediavault interface:
1. Under Access Rights Management / User: Click on User: Add user and call it for example "moode" with password "moode". Keep everything else as-is.

2. Click on Privileges and give the new user access to your shared music folders.

3. Go to Access Rights Management/Shared folders: Click on your shared music folder and then privileges: Slide the slider for the new user to have access to the folder and hit save.

In Moode NAS Source config screen
You have the "slashes" right, just make sure you have it capitilized correctly.
Change back all the advanced options to the default settings Moode came with.
Add the new user and password and then hit save.

This works for me on the latest version of Openmediavault.

BTW: If someone is looking for a great way to set-up a NAS for music files, I highly recommend to check out openmediavault which is a free NAS/mediaserver/plex/emby/docker/"whatever you want it it do server". It doesn't require much resources so it can be installed on old computers or low power home servers (even raspberry pi/odroid type of boards). Everything is configured in a web-based user-interface just like moode.
OpenMediaVault - The open network attached storage solution

Hi,
Your solution is working.. So for some reason a login and password seems to be required.... I don't know much of linux filesystems and users with permissions, but it is working now.

I just changed from freenas to openmediavault to use asset-upnp with the cambridge streammagic.

Thank you all,
Best regards,
Peter

Good to see you got it working! Agree - linux permissions are confusing and takes some time to get used to. That's why it's so nice with preconfigured solutions such as Moode for audio (or openmediavault for NAS duties) where you can get most things working in the gui without having to dig deep into the terminal.

I just discovered MoOde Media player a couple weeks via "Part-Time Audiophile" website.

I have a couple of questions about what I can and can't do with MoOde.

I'd like stream my music collection (~ 800 albums / CD's) via a Raspberry Pi connected to my home router. All of our computers have DAC's ( Linux, Mac, Windows) installed. I'm primarily interested in MoOde to stream my music to our Apple and Android mobile devices. This is what I need clarification on, before I go further.

1. My HDD connected to the Raspberry Pi must be formatted FAT 32, right?

2. Do I need to *** a DAC to Raspberry Pi in order for MoOde to work? My Pi will be connected to our router... I will not be connecting speakers or any other audio to my Pi.

Thank you for any assistance you can give me. My regards.

I just discovered MoOde Media player a couple weeks via "Part-Time Audiophile" website.

I have a couple of questions about what I can and can't do with MoOde.

I'd like stream my music collection (~ 800 albums / CD's) via a Raspberry Pi connected to my home router. All of our computers have DAC's ( Linux, Mac, Windows) installed. I'm primarily interested in MoOde to stream my music to our Apple and Android mobile devices. This is what I need clarification on, before I go further.

1. My HDD connected to the Raspberry Pi must be formatted FAT 32, right?

2. Do I need to *** a DAC to Raspberry Pi in order for MoOde to work? My Pi will be connected to our router... I will not be connecting speakers or any other audio to my Pi.

Thank you for any assistance you can give me. My regards.

Hi,

Moode does not have the capability to stream to other computers. It can be used to play music via DAC attached to the Pi.

- song files from local or network storage devices
- song files from network attached DLNA servers via UPnP
- internet radio stations
- streams sent to it via Airplay from iTunes or other apps with Airplay send capability

However, Moode does include miniDLNA server. If this is turned on in Moode it will index the song files on storage devices attached to Moode and would allow u to use UPnP controller app on your PC/Android devices to receive the streams from the DLNA server and play back on the devices.

I only do basic testing with UPnP/DLNA using Linn Kinsky controller app and am not an expert on UPnP/DLNA.

Regards,
Tim

Hi,

Moode does not have the capability to stream to other computers. It can be used to play music via DAC attached to the Pi.

- song files from local or network storage devices
- song files from network attached DLNA servers via UPnP
- internet radio stations
- streams sent to it via Airplay from iTunes or other apps with Airplay send capability

However, Moode does include miniDLNA server. If this is turned on in Moode it will index the song files on storage devices attached to Moode and would allow u to use UPnP controller app on your PC/Android devices to receive the streams from the DLNA server and play back on the devices.

I only do basic testing with UPnP/DLNA using Linn Kinsky controller app and am not an expert on UPnP/DLNA.

Regards,
Tim

MPD underpins Moods doesn't it.

In which case its possible to compile MPD with built-in httpd support to stream music on your home network. I do this on my desktop system thats running Gentoo by including the USE='network' flag which enables it, looking at the ebuild I think shows that it adds the '--enable-shout' and '--enable-httpd-output' options to the configuration (see line 142-143) when compiling mpd as well as pulling in a dependency of either the lame or vorbis libraries (see lines 74-75).

If you built mpd under Moode with this option then having something similar to the following (obviously substituting the IP address to that the Pi is assigned) would allow any web-browser to stream the music (if theres an associated program for handling the stream, which most computers will have)...

Code:
audio_output {
	type		"httpd"
	name		"My HTTP Stream"
	encoder		"vorbis"		# optional, vorbis or lame
	port		"8080"
	bind_to_address	"192.168.0.2"		# optional, IPv4 or IPv6
##	quality		"5.0"			# do not define if bitrate is defined
	bitrate		"192"			# do not define if quality is defined
	format		"44100:16:1"
	max_clients	"5"			# optional 0=no limit
}

I use the Android application MPDroid to playback music from my desktop to my phone using this method as it allows you to control whether output is sent to the httpd process as well as the sound device.

Its simple and works well.

Is it possible to enable this under Moode?

slackline

MPD underpins Moods doesn't it.

In which case its possible to compile MPD with built-in httpd support to stream music on your home network. I do this on my desktop system thats running Gentoo by including the USE='network' flag which enables it, looking at the ebuild I think shows that it adds the '--enable-shout' and '--enable-httpd-output' options to the configuration (see line 142-143) when compiling mpd as well as pulling in a dependency of either the lame or vorbis libraries (see lines 74-75).

If you built mpd under Moode with this option then having something similar to the following (obviously substituting the IP address to that the Pi is assigned) would allow any web-browser to stream the music (if theres an associated program for handling the stream, which most computers will have)...

Code:
audio_output {
	type		"httpd"
	name		"My HTTP Stream"
	encoder		"vorbis"		# optional, vorbis or lame
	port		"8080"
	bind_to_address	"192.168.0.2"		# optional, IPv4 or IPv6
##	quality		"5.0"			# do not define if bitrate is defined
	bitrate		"192"			# do not define if quality is defined
	format		"44100:16:1"
	max_clients	"5"			# optional 0=no limit
}

I use the Android application MPDroid to playback music from my desktop to my phone using this method as it allows you to control whether output is sent to the httpd process as well as the sound device.

Its simple and works well.

Is it possible to enable this under Moode?

slackline

Hi,

Yes, but only manually in upcoming release 2.4.

I compiled MPD 0.19.10 with httpd for Moode 2.4 but it is not integrated into the UI as a feature unlike Airplay and UPnP/DLNA.

I've tested httpd it in the past with FLAC encoder and it works great. You can even create a radio station in one Pi running Moode with the address of another Pi running Moode MPD/httpd or any MPD/httpd based player and it works fine.

I'll add to my to-do list to investigate making a feature out of it :)

Regards,
Tim

Wow! Thank you very much for this great piece of software.
I am really amazed how good a raspberry pi together with a hifiberry dac+ running moOde can sound.
I love the way i am rediscovering my music collection and the world of internet radio stations.

It even inspired me to start my first raspberry project.
I bought a cheap little touchscreen (waveshare spotpear 3.2, 320x240)
to fit on top of a raspberry pi 2B.
The goal is to make a little radio running moOdeaudio, but also can be controlled on the touchscreen so my kids can use it without the need to get a phone or tablet.
Ofcourse the webinterface of moOde audio is not suitable for such a small screen so i am making a pygame program to run as a local small screen MPD client on top of a moOde audio system.
I started with the beautifull program RPi-Tron-Radio (https://github.com/5Volt-Junkie/RPi-Tron-Radio)
and changed the script to my needs.
This is how it looks:
attachment.php

I changed the volume control so it uses knob.sh instead of calls directly to MPC so it stayes in sync with the moOdeaudio webclient.

Now i would like to also include a cover art image on the little screen. But i don't know how to do that.
Would it be possible to create a script like knob.sh to get the url of the cover art picture displayed in the moOde web client?
I think the information i need is located in the file /var/www/js/player_lib.js in the var MPDCS.coverurl. But i have no clue on how to read that information and get it into my python script.
I am new to raspberry's and python scripting (this is my very first attempt at it) so maybe i am missing something obvious. But any help would be much appreciated :D

Attachments

• IMG_20151026_090245.jpg
    IMG_20151026_090245.jpg
    431.6 KB · Views: 2,164