Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

How about the JustBoom's ?
They have similar Digital Amp HAT for RPI and Zero, have you tried it?

-kitamura_design

Hi Kitamura,

I'm currently using the JustBoom pHAT AMP with a Pi Zero W with modified Minimus 7 speakers and MoOde 3.6. This is a great combination and the JustBoom AMP provides enough power for the speakers. The final output of the AMP depends upon the power supply so I am using a 15VDC 3 amp supply.

I'm able to stream 24bit/192kHz FLAC files through the Zero's WiFi connection from a NAS.

Sound is very good for a system that costs under $100. I am working on making the system portable so I have a streaming BoomBox.

Hope this helps.

Hi Tim. I've got a question. Yesterday I bought the product key for moodeaudio. I installed it on my raspberry 2 model b.

I didn't have got a wired ethernet connection and pluged in a edimax wlan stick. So after booting i got the accesspoint and was able to configure everything. After a while i changed the wlan configuration to bring the device in the home network. So after reboot i'm not able to connect to this device.

I see in my router that this device (Moode) is connected in my home network but it is not reachable. So i'm not able to get the html site neither with the ip nor the moode.local.

Do you have any tips what i can do or is there any kind of problem with the moode?

Thanks a lot & best regards

Stefan

Hi, Stefan.

Yes there are tips to debugging the situation you are in, but the easier solution may be to start again with a fresh install of MoOde Player on your uSD card. Follow step 1-Initial Setup of the Setup Instructions of the Setup Guide which apparently you were able to do before.

This time, on first boot, immediately change the player from AP mode to client mode (e.g., fill in your home WiFi credentials in the Network Config page) and reboot without doing anything else.

At this point your player's AP disappears, your browser host loses its WiFi connection and *may* rejoin your home network *if* your browser host is configured to automatically connect to your home WiFi AP. Eric's suggestion is a way of triggering this rejoining process manually but it depends on this configuration setting.

You should now be able to browse to the MoOde Player web page and continue the configuration process with steps 2-5 of the Setup Instructions of the Setup Guide. If you can't then more digging will be necessary.

Opinions will vary but I find doing the WiFi configuration first makes it easier to deal with the player when I have to reboot it for certain configuration changes to complete. Rather than manually setting the WiFi configuration via the player's web page, you can make it happen "automagically" during the first boot by adding the credentials to a /boot/moodecfg.txt file as described in the Setup Guide under Custom Configs in step 3 - Auto-Config.

Let's get you set up so you can enjoy the music!

Regards,
Kent

yes... the RT one, i changed to normal kernel and noise was still there
tomorrow i'll try with LL hoping to resolve issue...
very strange that i never had the problem before.. or maybe i didn't heard it :(

Do you use a Usb Dac ? and have you applied the UAC2 fix from the settings..?
moodeaudio.org
Player Fixes.
(Audio glitches with certain USB High Speed (UAC2) audio devices.
Cause: USB driver bugs in Linux kernel
This fix can be enabled by a setting in Moode System config)

Hi Tim, thanks for the quick response. I've already got an iqaudio dac pro working ontop of a pi3 with loads of extra caps tagged onto of it. the improvement in sound is immense hence me going the whole hog. My PCB is now 80% designed and includes onboard multirail PSU regulation, header for pi zero w , header for kali reclocker and the PCM5242 on my board along with dual PSU Dual amp headphone amp. outputs are XLR. I also have a CPLD chip onboard for i2s input switching from either the pi or an xmos usb to i2S board. this is the hardest project I've taken on so far by a long shot. the last one being to 120watt class A monoblock power amps (That one took me a year and is still ongoing) these are destined for my dac to drive instead of my lashed up Pi3.

Will the i2S volume commands still work if I put the dac into hardware mode (this is the simplest for me to implement I think) although I may well implement I2C as well for future learning.

Chris:D

Hi Chris,

What I2S driver overlay are you planning to use?

-Tim

Hi Chris,

What I2S driver overlay are you planning to use?

-Tim

Thats where I'm at a loss, I'm good on the hardware / pcbs / building side but not so hot on the linux side. I was thinking that one would basically connect up the three (or 4 with kali) data/clock lines run moode on the pi zero and select the correct chip within moode as I do with the iqaudio pro. and all would be well then i discovered that the chip has three modes of operation Hardware/i2C/SPI to select its initial configuration and this is where info becomes limited as I don't know what mode the pre made pcbs are using (I wanted to buy another iqaudio pro to probe around but they are unavailable at the moment)..I might try and find an alternative board with pcm5242 to use as a reference design.. so near but so far eh lol.

Chris

hi mybe you hawe same problem like me
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/271811-moode-audio-player-raspberry-pi-557.html#post4913701

I used driver from link above

Hi Tim. I've got a question. Yesterday I bought the product key for moodeaudio. I installed it on my raspberry 2 model b.

I didn't have got a wired ethernet connection and pluged in a edimax wlan stick. So after booting i got the accesspoint and was able to configure everything. After a while i changed the wlan configuration to bring the device in the home network. So after reboot i'm not able to connect to this device.

I see in my router that this device (Moode) is connected in my home network but it is not reachable. So i'm not able to get the html site neither with the ip nor the moode.local.

Do you have any tips what i can do or is there any kind of problem with the moode?

Thanks a lot & best regards

Stefan

Problem with MoodeAudio 3.6

I have a PI2 with EDIMAX wifi adapter (no ethernet) and IQAudio Pi-DigiAmp+ which has been running problem-free for a year or so (congratulations on your superb product!). The pi is connected to my wifi router and I control it from my Windows 10 computer using Chrome. I don't have a wifi adapter in my computer; I am accessing the pi via Chrome courtesy of my wifi network. I am trying to upgrade from Moode Audio 1.8 to 3.6. When I install 3.6 and configure the audio device everything runs fine, but as the pi is not connected to my wifi network, I cannot control it from my computer; only from a phone. If I try to configure the MoodeAudio network to connect the pi to my wifi by entering the SSID (and password) when I reboot, the pi system no longer runs in AP mode. I cannot connect to it in any way. If I attach a monitor, nothing appears on reboot - I don't even get a signal for the monitor. The Edimax flashes, but that's the only sign of life.

I have a PI2 with EDIMAX wifi adapter (no ethernet) and IQAudio Pi-DigiAmp+ which has been running problem-free for a year or so (congratulations on your superb product!). The pi is connected to my wifi router and I control it from my Windows 10 computer using Chrome. I don't have a wifi adapter in my computer; I am accessing the pi via Chrome courtesy of my wifi network. I am trying to upgrade from Moode Audio 1.8 to 3.6. When I install 3.6 and configure the audio device everything runs fine, but as the pi is not connected to my wifi network, I cannot control it from my computer; only from a phone. If I try to configure the MoodeAudio network to connect the pi to my wifi by entering the SSID (and password) when I reboot, the pi system no longer runs in AP mode. I cannot connect to it in any way. If I attach a monitor, nothing appears on reboot - I don't even get a signal for the monitor. The Edimax flashes, but that's the only sign of life.

Hi,

Does your Wifi Router show that host moode has successfully associated and was assigned an IP address?

To troubleshoot, connect the Pi via ethernet cable, bring up Moode UI and then email me the output from main manu, System info screen and I'll take a look.

-Tim

Thanks & Multiroom Squeezebox?

Hi

First, thanks to Tim for his great software and also for excellent email support, which has been very, very helpful, friendly and prompt.

I am extremely happy to have found Mooge :)

I now:

• Have a Pi3 / IQaudIO Pi-DAC+ with Moode in the living room connected to my Amp, & Speakers,
  • Have a PI Zero W with IQaudio Pi-DACZero also with Moode connected to a Bose Soundlink Mini for another room.
  • Have all my music on an external HDD on the Pi3.
  • Use the web client on phones, PC etc to play from the Pi3 through the stereo in the living room.
  • Use Bubble on my android phone to play music on the Pi zero through the Bose.

So now I'd like to be able to play the same music synchronised on both Pi's
I have read about this before and seen the word 'squeezebox' and noticed that this is in the settings for Moode.
Can anyone direct me to a guide to this, or give any advice?
Do I need any more hardware?
I am quite new to all this, but able/like to learn

Cheers

Leigh

I don't think there are many better DAC/Amp HATs other than the IQ Amp+. The Only other one I have tried is the HifiBerry and that's a POS.

Zootalaws - I'm currently using a HifiBerry DAC+ with a Pi3. I'm planning on building another system and need to purchase another DAC. I was planning on buying another HiFiBerry DAC+. Before I do that, can you provide more specifics concerning what issues you found with the HifiBerry you tried?

Hi Kitamura,

I'm currently using the JustBoom pHAT AMP with a Pi Zero W with modified Minimus 7 speakers and MoOde 3.6. This is a great combination and the JustBoom AMP provides enough power for the speakers. The final output of the AMP depends upon the power supply so I am using a 15VDC 3 amp supply.

I'm able to stream 24bit/192kHz FLAC files through the Zero's WiFi connection from a NAS.

Sound is very good for a system that costs under $100. I am working on making the system portable so I have a streaming BoomBox.

Hope this helps.

Hi Mark,

Sounds very nice.
I am planning the other player smaller size and price than dish-type, so Pi zero W and JustBoom pHAT AMP are very interesting for me.

Thanks,
-kitamura_design

Zootalaws - I'm currently using a HifiBerry DAC+ with a Pi3. I'm planning on building another system and need to purchase another DAC. I was planning on buying another HiFiBerry DAC+. Before I do that, can you provide more specifics concerning what issues you found with the HifiBerry you tried?

No hardware volume control
Driver is incompatible with some executables
Support from Hifiberry is shite - basically said 'tough titty'

Hifiberry have made a number of bad designs recently and haven't been forthcoming about replacement under warranty.

Why buy crap when IQ Audio make a superior, cheaper, better designed range of products?

Last edited:
Do you use a Usb Dac ? and have you applied the UAC2 fix from the settings..?
moodeaudio.org
Player Fixes.
(Audio glitches with certain USB High Speed (UAC2) audio devices.
Cause: USB driver bugs in Linux kernel
This fix can be enabled by a setting in Moode System config)

I applied the fix and switched to LL
It seems that problems are gone... very nice thnx!!!
Does this patch impact on audio performance?

I don't know if it happens only to me but... graphical and testual counters of the tracks are not synchronized....

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi burmar,

Seems not only to you but also to me.
However this appears only via Safari (Mac ).

-kitamura design

Attachments

• trackcounter.png
    trackcounter.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 207