Modulus-86 build thread

Finally. After assembling and testing rev2.1 boards in August (they had been purchased by a friend some time earlier) last year, and playing since in a "temporary" lashup, the pair of Modulus-86s have a proper home of metal.
After quite a bit of searching online I realised I had a donor chassis hiding in the shed.
It started out life as a pro-sound power amp

Finally someone who understands that the LM3886 needs heatsinking!! :) I love the repurposing. It looks like it turned out very well in this case. Also handy that the rear panel came with cutouts for the XLR connectors.

Very fine work Tom, thank you again for all your hard work, they just play, blamelessly, on 96dB/1watt horns, that is special around here.

Awesome. I'm glad you like it.

Tom

Now that I've managed to complete the requirements for my psychology degree (formal graduation is in June), I'm looking to push full-time on Neurochrome. I have a few new products in mind and would greatly appreciate your feedback on my ideas. If you have 15 minutes to spare, I would really appreciate your participation in my survey (linked to below).

Neurochrome Spring 2019 Survey (link).

The survey requires a sign-in via your Google/gmail account. Your email address will NOT be recorded. All your responses will be anonymous.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Congrats on completing the degree. I assume you are not intending to practice psychology?

I started filling in the questionaire but then realised that I'm actually not in the market for anything until I've cleared my backlog which is currently on a 1:1 slip trajectory so my answers would be somewhat coloured by that.

Gimmie another couple of years and I'll be caught up and have a bit more disposable income as well ( 2 leaving uni this year, 3rd in 2 more years!). :)

Congrats on completing the degree. I assume you are not intending to practice psychology?

Nah... I'm not qualified for that. I just completed my bachelor's degree (with honours and a good GPA). If I want to practice, I need a minimum of a Master's degree. That's another 2-3 years.

My BA degree work has provided me with a lot of insight that has been helpful in my day-to-day interactions with customers and clients. And my business has grown while I've been in school. I think I have potential. Hopefully, I can convince others of this too... ;) I'll push on the business for a few years to see where I can take it. I love the engineering and enjoy the human aspects of running a small business as well.

I started filling in the questionaire but then realised that I'm actually not in the market for anything until I've cleared my backlog which is currently on a 1:1 slip trajectory so my answers would be somewhat coloured by that.

No worries.

Tom

Now that I've managed to complete the requirements for my psychology degree (formal graduation is in June), I'm looking to push full-time on Neurochrome. I have a few new products in mind and would greatly appreciate your feedback on my ideas. If you have 15 minutes to spare, I would really appreciate your participation in my survey (linked to below).

Neurochrome Spring 2019 Survey (link).

The survey requires a sign-in via your Google/gmail account. Your email address will NOT be recorded. All your responses will be anonymous.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Congratulations on your degree :up:

I just completed the survey, hope it helps :)

Boards stuffed ... need to pick a chassis next! Thinking Mini Dissipante will fit the bill nicely.

Attachments

• modulus.jpg
    modulus.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 369
It's good to see a build shaping up. Nice work so far.

Yep. 28 W into 8 Ω with the SMPS-86. 28 W into 4 Ω too (the IRM-60 reach their current limit). For a desktop amp or an amp intended for powering efficient speakers, the SMPS-86 is plenty - especially with 8 Ω loads. If you have 4 Ω speakers and tend to really crank on the volume knob, you should consider using two SMPS-86 so you have enough output current available.

Tom