Modulus-86 build thread

Oh sure. I've heard of it. Comes in foil form.... :) Useful for shielding prototype circuits.

You also have prohjects rather than prajects. For a while I was trying to figure out if there was a Canadian dialect or accent. I gave up. Given the influences of the Irish, English, Scottish, and Americans the pronunciation shows a lot of individual variability. You then sprinkle on some Canadianisms and local slang and you have a royal mess. "Hang a Larry on 16th AVE" or "hang a shithook". Good times. :)

My favourite is the verb 'table'. As in to table an offer. In the US, if you table an offer that means you take it off the table. No longer available for discussion. In Canada (and UK also I think) it means the opposite - i.e. put an offer on the table to discuss. Scared the crap out of me when the postal workers threatened to go on strike and Canada Post tabled their offer.

Tom

Being a native Canadian, it's probably different for me, but I can discern different Canadian regional dialects fairly accurately. People from British Columbia have a distinct dialect, as do people from the prairies (Albert, Saskatchewan, Manitoba), there is a distinct Ontario dialect, of course Quebec, and there is a Maritime accent (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia) and of course Newfoundland is quite distinct.

But I agree the differences are more subtle than found in other nations. And you have to be aware, to be listening, for differences. Some people would mistake a UK accent and an Australian one, others can quickly discern an Australian accent from a New Zealand one.

An amusing one with the differences in pronounciation between Canadian and American english is how Canadians pronounce their "u" sounds. Put simply, if there is a "u" in the word, we pronounce the "u" in speaking. They notice how Canadians pronounce "about" but when they try to describe it they claim we say "aboot". We don't, they just are unable to enunciate how we do actually say it (which is a-bow-t"). They just cannot get their tongue around how we say the word.

Similarly, most Americans (and also UK residents) ignore the letter "H" when they pronounce words, while Canadians will. So "Harry" becomes "arry" or "Hotel" becomes " Otel" while Canadians will say "Harry" or "Hotel" specifically pronouncing the H sound in the word.

There are others, of course, just the above are illustrative. Interestingly, Canadian newscasters are in strong demand in the US, every major network and most major markets (eg Los Angeles) hire Canadians to do broadcasts, as the way we pronounce words is similar to the neutral California accent but we tend to enunciate words more clearly than native American neutral accent speakers.

Last edited:
Being a native Canadian, it's probably different for me, but I can discern different Canadian regional dialects fairly accurately. People from British Columbia have a distinct dialect, as do people from the prairies (Albert, Saskatchewan, Manitoba), there is a distinct Ontario dialect, of course Quebec, and there is a Maritime accent (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia) and of course Newfoundland is quite distinct.

No doubt. I know a few people here who have the same ability. I think what I'm noticing is that there's a lot of individual variability in pronunciation in Canada and sometimes this variability is actually rather large. Like prahject vs prohject or skedule vs sjedule.

An amusing one with the differences in pronounciation between Canadian and American english is how Canadians pronounce their "u" sounds. Put simply, if there is a "u" in the word, we pronounce the "u" in speaking.

The ou pronunciation is probably the strongest or most reliable predictor of Canadian English I've come across.

Similarly, most Americans (and also UK residents) ignore the letter "H" when they pronounce words, while Canadians will.

And herbs rather than 'erbs. Which is odd considering that the French don't pronounce the H either and you'd think that would spill over into Canadian English. I guess not... :)

The pronunciation of 'eh' differs by region as well. While I think the overall use of 'eh' is down overall it seems to be pretty prevalent in Alberta. Except many native Albertans say 'hey' rather than 'eh'.

Ah... Humans. We're funny critters.

Tom

(snip) ...
The pronunciation of 'eh' differs by region as well. While I think the overall use of 'eh' is down overall it seems to be pretty prevalent in Alberta. Except many native Albertans say 'hey' rather than 'eh'.

Ah... Humans. We're funny critters.

Tom

Interesting about the "hey", I hadn't noticed that one. Americans tend to use "huh" in the same place of spoken speech we use "eh", and the Brits, well, they have that strange (to us) habit of framing a declarative sentence as a question, like "That's a green car, isn't it?"

There are some "dead giveways" that Americans will use in speech that Canadians never (or rarely) do, such as using the word "butt" while we would say "a--" (same as an alternative word for Donkey). The forum nanny won't let me type the actual word, another indication of the habit, and marking the nanny as American in origin, since in Canada it wouldn't be censored.

Last edited:
I seemed to have derailed this thread into a language/dialect thread....

So back on topic, a couple of newborns in the house.

Irb1M97QDLtfmPaQDJ84TTxWTwlObNE4JSc1Us695MX3cJxHMh0TT7viwjM55DkzVeiSjgSYad7GrVxLL6OJejJxxGVkX84doEGi2QKt2T17wohYSwkcSdZWmT-3LcudPMvQSckjUgfPvurZdvBYXueWdSrJ_8P1vXwJuwT2v11pP-tYPrZvTNi9fAzY9nTAI10XhGRAm510ciB9M6HR7Qs8ag_WfpLuzpUNF1DDi5Bwk5xqw4KffnTwNqa-gRn-LNjoGcKtWmOwnkJJ4lBz6JKiZsSf63lLR_BCZKcmOQcOfn6EZT-U4GXIrLgYOxrhMhRz9iUW57NoWl5yH7eXooMpGnp3yKpQ4xEGpLOOgb5SeWQDb505AAY0rDrAGBxluU3X47yr55ER64crxNNINiMF1B5x_zrQ9cEyG3f-Ofrb4_cQCOwDjW_eHZJlj6jbLGePfGv4cPBCexiJhu0XGLqMXTWMiyzjtBJZxT5Cax6UpMg_LVMfTf3E5-2Q1pHjWSN2EemP8lEUPXYYdelBO3FIID4d3clTJoBLAr2BIgk6P8gXunuwmdadJtFEmogKcvjA6s31RUp5LvkXYnr3l7Al-1FTxY-0MQFcVQn848usve3bdTcmuUEsb9xWdmN-dVX4wQP5ZE_NGk9OkD1VyAjrErGt4QvwT-WkunhvEmAoxA=w854-h638-no

My Quad 989 ESL's loved the Mod 86 Parallel so much I've treated them to a bridged pair, stunning.
They sound so organic I have treated them to some nice figured oak cases.

The real credit belongs to you Tom for designing such a wonderful amp.

In bridged mode they totally eclipse the N-Cores I previously used.

The bass grip is now equal to/better than the N-Cores which has freed up some power ? to improve mid clarity and sound stage.

I hardly need the Sub now, though as many believe Quad ESL's don't do bass - oh yes they do, if treated right.

As this was only my second ever full build I was pleased that there was no smoke or drama and only 0.1 MV of DC offset.

To the few who moan about the cost of your designs and support, it is their loss as they do not know what they are missing..

Sorry to be the bearer of sad news. TI has once again decided to discontinue the LME49710. This time in all package options. You can see the official PCN here: https://media.digikey.com/pdf/PCNs/Texas Instruments/PCN20170721000.pdf This is rather unfortunate for the Modulus-86 as the LME49710 is the only opamp suitable for that project. The suggested replacement, the OPA1611, is SMD only and will require the redesign of the compensation circuit(s) in the Modulus-86.

The Modulus-286 and HP-1 are OK as the LME49720 gets to live on.

There's no reason to panic just yet. The last date to order the LME49710 from TI is sometime next summer, so I suspect Digikey/Mouser/etc. will have stock for some time to come. I will keep supporting the Modulus-86, even if it means I have to buy a couple of tubes of LME49710s and sell the ICs with the boards. That said, those of you looking for an all-leaded (i.e. no surface mounted parts) Modulus amplifier should probably consider ordering your boards relatively soon here.

Tom

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 16.35.55.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 16.35.55.png
    157 KB · Views: 319
Tom
A suggestion for you to think about. Currently there are just 2 options for the 286; unpopulated or fully populated boards. I think there would be interest in SMD only populated boards, suitably priced of course. I'm sure I'm not the only potential customer who is comfortable with through hole soldering but who doesn't want to use the 286 as their introduction to SMD soldering.

Tom
A suggestion for you to think about. Currently there are just 2 options for the 286; unpopulated or fully populated boards. I think there would be interest in SMD only populated boards, suitably priced of course. I'm sure I'm not the only potential customer who is comfortable with through hole soldering but who doesn't want to use the 286 as their introduction to SMD soldering.

Where is your sense of adventure, just need these :yikes::yikes:

LED Lamp Headset Head Light Jeweler Magnifier Magnifying Glass Loupe Headband | eBay

And some tweezers..