Modifying the 135mm Triplet from DIYPC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
aus74cjl said:
As I posted in another thread, the modified triplet did not seem to give as good an image. Maybe we didn't do a very good job realigning the lenses though... [/B]

I found that if the triplet is modified, that the front lens has to be closer to the middle one than the rear one. I have not had time to do much experimenting with the 220/550mm with the 135 mm triplet, but my setup has 9' throw. The space between the front lens to the middle is 0.5" and the space between the middle and the rear triplet lens is 1.25", the rear triplet lens is 24" from the transparency (LCD).

I do not know if this wil help or not, but I thought I would mention it.:)

new triplet

>Who, and when will it be available?

lumenlab, but it is not on their store webpages yet. The information is from a personal communication, so it is just a rumor for now.

Maybe somebody reading this has a lumenlab membership (or is a lumenlab owner?), and can add more info?

I tried readjusting the lens spacing to be closer to what rl suggested, but still the image is not very sharp. We need to make the lens assembly more adjustable to come to any conclusions though.

I moved the 550mm lens behind the LCD instead of the original split design. This has decreased the field angle to the triplet and as a consequence the image is much better focussed at the sides. It also makes the projected image a little smaller of course.

We also tried putting an aperture on the triplet at the light entry side. This improved the focus immensley, and was almost good enough to do a full 1280 x 1027 on the 17" display. Only problem was very dim corners. I moved the lamp forward and this helped a little.

On 1280 widescreen, with the fresnels behind the LCD, the corners are only just out of focus.

aus74cjl said:
We also tried putting an aperture on the triplet at the light entry side. This improved the focus immensley, and was almost good enough to do a full 1280 x 1027 on the 17" display. Only problem was very dim corners. I moved the lamp forward and this helped a little.

On 1280 widescreen, with the fresnels behind the LCD, the corners are only just out of focus.

Can you explain this aperture for me? I am doing a VERY similar set up and am interested in any forward progress with a 17" LCD screen. Thanks for the info.

Speaking of lighting, has anyone thought of using two lights? Maybe two 250W Halides? One spaced 1/3 of the total width and the other 2/3 of the total width. Then have a giant reflector behind the whole thing. That might give more light to the edges?

aperature

I suspect that adding an aperature just before the middle lens might work better than one at the first lens.

Making the lens aperature smaller usually sharpens the focus by discarding light that would go through the parts of the lens far from the central axis. This is where the aberration is usually the worst. The price you pay may be less light on the screen. You can make up for that by adjusting the fresnels just right, so most of the light goes through the aperature.

Re: new triplet

Guy Grotke said:
>Who, and when will it be available?

lumenlab, but it is not on their store webpages yet. The information is from a personal communication, so it is just a rumor for now.

Maybe somebody reading this has a lumenlab membership (or is a lumenlab owner?), and can add more info?

I don't know much about it, but Lumenlabs is indeed working on a new triplet. I think they have the design ready and are just waiting on (or looking for) the manufacturer. Again, I don't know much about the process of creating a new triplet, so I'm not clear how far they are in the lens' production. Below is a quote by Brainchild of Lumenlabs (from a news post made July 15th of this year):
Big progress on the Pro Lens over the last week. All of the problems with the triplet have been identified and the lens has been reengineered. Negotiations with a new manufacturer are coming to a close, at which time we will begin production. We are going with a 500mm fixed focal length triplet (100mm clear diameter). The cost of this lens a slightly higher than the previous pro triplet because the materials and engineering are of a higher standard. (This lens is going to rock!) We also expect to have the new Pro IR pass reflectors at roughly the same time as the new lenses. These reflectors have been engineered to work specifically with the S400 lamps and rear fresnel that we use. The improvement should be awesome.

Many thanks go to forum member "Rox" for his engineering assistance.

Not sure how much use this is to you, but I thought I'd try to clarify.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.