Moderation and members no longer around

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
andy_c and group weren't the first schism and probably not the last. Valuable talent was lost the first time and the forum continues to grow. Ironically the technically literate members of the second departure would likely have had nothing but contempt for the technically literate members of the first. The moderators seem to be striking the ideal Golden Meanness.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
And who are you?

Forget it then, keep putting the onus on those without a badge, and dissuade people from stepping up and providing feedback or dissenting opinions.

See what happens? Don says: In my opinion (for what it's worth) [bla bla] ... ought to be backed up etc.

A personal opinion. You could say that you agree, you could say that you don't agree, with arguments, you could disregard it etc. No, you said what you said which is derogatory and personal. This is the type of behaviour mods need to keep an eye on for it is disruptive and inflammatory.
Thanks for providing a clear example.

jd

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
I have a question for the moderators. Have you considered changing the punishment to just moving the offending posts to a different area? This IMHO is a lot harsher a punishment. These people act so when angry but after they cool off they'd be forever ashamed of their behavior, out there for all to see for as long as the forum exists.

And who are you?

To answer what I believe to be your question, I'm no less than your equal here.

Forget it then, keep putting the onus on those without a badge, and dissuade people from stepping up and providing feedback or dissenting opinions.

No dissuasion was intended or implied. Feel free to express your opinions, as I do. But consider what you want. As I understand it, you want moderators to be more diligent about using the "cop" icon when applying the moderation rules. On the other side of the argument, my opinion is that they are doing OK as they are, and a heavier handed approach would be counter-productive. I have formed my opinion over time by observing moderators' actions as, apparently, have you. If you've seen different actions than I have, then I'd like to see them too so that I can alter my opinion.

For example, I may consider my next door neighbour to be a fine, upstanding citizen. If someone says he's a gangster, I may discount their opinion based on my observations. But if the "allegator" also provides evidence such as a criminal record to support their claim, I have reason to change my opinion.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi leadbelly,
Many times we see members moderating when another member is getting out of line. There are no :cop: symbols shown, or secret handshakes either. And yet, every member here is capable of moderating in a thread. What they say is just as valid as long as they are not out of line.

So now you've moved on to how and when credentials are displayed? Come on now! If you are causing a problem and are told to cool it, without the badge coming out, consider yourself lucky and get on with life.

People, you can bring up examples all day long and nit pick over each one. You will never be able to agree on what you think is a fair and equatable solution. Most of the moderating team is dealing with rules we inherited. I'll bet that most of these rules are listed somewhere as "best practices" in a web site that deals with moderating.

The only goal is to keep the peace and allow members to post in relative calm. There is no need for disruptive behavior at all.

-Chris

When there's no badge, there's no "warning." As members, we believe strongly in peer-pressure as a step long before any official action.

ahhh... not that I want to incur any wrath, but how does a yellow card play into the picture then...?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/161211-woofer-tester-2-a-2.html#post2084576

I did receive a warning via PM for this post though. It didn't include the :cop: symbol, but it really wasn't needed.

I'm still confused about the yellow card allocation however. Is this a "two strikes and you're out" kind of deterrent?

I actually think this whole andy_c bad press was caused by deletion of Texas.
Please can somebody explain what "Texas" was?

I've seen it mentioned a number of times and always wonder what folks are talking about.

Thanks - Godfrey

p.s. This is a serious question, not trolling - see my join date

edit: @Jarrett: "yellow card allocation"? What's that?
sigh - one day there'll be written rules and I'll be happy...

Last edited:
I have a question for the moderators. Have you considered changing the punishment to just moving the offending posts to a different area? This IMHO is a lot harsher a punishment. These people act so when angry but after they cool off they'd be forever ashamed of their behavior, out there for all to see for as long as the forum exists.

The modern equivalent of the stocks in the village square?
You'd need to move enough of the thread to show the offence in context, which would penalise other "innocent" posters. Maybe the offending post could be moved to "the stocks" and replaced with "moved by moderator", with a link to the offending post for anyone who wanted to see what the fuss was about - and hopefully learn not to make the same mistake.

Gather 'round, children, and Uncle SY will tell y'all the Story of Texas...

Texas was a place where bad, bad posts used to go for all and sundry to see. It got them off the particular forum where they were posted, but anyone browsin' the forum could see them. Needless to say, having personally offensive and insultin' posts hanging there led to nothin' good, so we decided, if somethin's bad, let's just chuck it instead of lettin' it stay bad in public.

Now, it's time for bed, children, so let's get ready to put out the campfire the way Uncle SY taught y'all. Hey, Billy Bob, you got the diabetes, so you don't haveta do it, it ends up makin' that caramel smell...

Texas was a place where bad, bad posts used to go for all and sundry to see. It got them off the particular forum where they were posted, but anyone browsin' the forum could see them. Needless to say, having personally offensive and insultin' posts hanging there led to nothin' good, so we decided, if somethin's bad, let's just chuck it instead of lettin' it stay bad in public.

A long time ago in the Wild West (Will Zachman's Canopus Research forum on Compuserve) bad posts were moved to "section 0". You couldn't browse that section, you had to know the post's number to read it. They were archived in this way, rather than deleted, to avoid allegations of revisionism.

Now, it's time for bed, children, so let's get ready to put out the campfire the way Uncle SY taught y'all. Hey, Billy Bob, you got the diabetes, so you don't haveta do it, it ends up makin' that caramel smell...

... And you two over there turn and face the fire, you had baked beans for supper and we don't want any accidents.

edit: @Jarrett: "yellow card allocation"? What's that?

Follow the link in my eariler post. At the bottom right, you'll see a yellow tag. If you place your mouse over it. It will detail that I received a warning.

This obviously different than the :cop: included with a written reply, which is supposedly used in these instances.

How about the story of the "yellow card", Uncle SY....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.