Moderating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q.E.D. There's a rift here that I don't think it will ever be covered. Stay with your politically correct crowd, I'm not of that breed.

Yes, you are. And the inability - or lack of humility - enabling you to even consider the possibility is far from rare here. It does damage to the principles of science every time another straw man, ad hominem, ignored request for citation or sarcastic dismissal at a lost argument leaves the collective keyboards of those adamant they be granted status as its mouthpieces. Given how polarized this discussion has become, let me just add that it's not universal. Just depressingly common.

There is no 'fair' in it. I fully recognize that when I say I believe that I can often hear cable swaps, my cost is the obligation it puts on you is zero. No one needs to take it as any more than a statement about my perceptions. Posturing oneself as a martyr of science in contrast entails a whole different level of responsibility and restrictions. Too many here want that authority without the responsibility, hence the onslaught of middle-school psychology, name calling and cries that world is sliding into a new Dark Age meeting such claims. That betrayal of scientific protocol to me is infinitely worse than the most outlandish Belt-ism, and frankly I won't miss it.

That betrayal of scientific protocol to me is infinitely worse than the most outlandish Belt-ism, and frankly I won't miss it.

I am sure you won't miss my contributions. Actually, it would be really surprising if you would accept that your own business is based on a huge fraud. You are in the same boat with the countless people here, having a vested interest in the so-called "high end audio" business, that would swear on their mother's grave to defend their "beliefs" and "make a difference" in a market that slowly starts to wake up from the dark ages.

While I could live with someone following his own beliefs (after all, it's only a brain mitigating the subjective mess :), it's really bad when the fraud is perpetrated knowingly. Do yourself a favour and don't mention about your education to your customers, you may get a cold shoulder.

I am sure you won't miss my contributions. Actually, it would be really surprising if you would accept that your own business is based on a huge fraud. You are in the same boat with the countless people here, having a vested interest in the so-called "high end audio" business, that would swear on their mother's grave to defend their "beliefs" and "make a difference" in a market that slowly starts to wake up from the dark ages.

While I could live with someone following his own beliefs (after all, it's only a brain mitigating the subjective mess :), it's really bad when the fraud is perpetrated knowingly. Do yourself a favour and don't mention about your education to your customers, you may get a cold shoulder.

Why must you be such an angry young man? You truly believe that your views are the only ones that anyone should consider. Speaking of God's...............

I'm in radio broadcasting. Thanks for proving my point.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
through ABX testing, that they can't actually tell the difference between component A and B

Do keep in mind that an ABX test can only demonstrate that during the test the listener could not detect difference. It cannot prove that differences do not exist. It is not a strong enuff test.

One also has to ensure that the switches & extra connectors do not confound the test (positive controls). Kunchur had to go to great lengths to put in place adequate kit for his tests. I expect that many of the ABX switchers in use are the weak link in the chain.

dave

Do keep in mind that an ABX test can only demonstrate that during the test the listener could not detect difference. It cannot prove that differences do not exist. It is not a strong enuff test.

One also has to ensure that the switches & extra connectors do not confound the test (positive controls). Kunchur had to go to great lengths to put in place adequate kit for his tests. I expect that many of the ABX switchers in use are the weak link in the chain.

dave

Dave,

I believe that you're correct on both counts, ABX tests can only be meaningfull when the number of tests and people being tested is large enough to be somewhat representative of a general population.

To be frank about it, many well meaning people don't understand what ABX tests are, and what's perhaps worse, many that do understand the use of ABX testing, actually don't know how to design a meaningful, reliable and hopefully, repeatable test.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
What's the point?

Much of the recent conversation here has nothing to do with moderating. Are we going to accept a fractional S/N ratio here too?

If you want to make a point about moderation, let's stay on topic. Otherwise, this thread has lost any reason to exist. It's up to you people whether this thread is worth while or not.

Curly, I thought I had just made a point about the sub.... vs obj.... recently. Yet, here it is once again! Definitely OT as well.

-Chris

Much of the recent conversation here has nothing to do with moderating. Are we going to accept a fractional S/N ratio here too?

If you want to make a point about moderation, let's stay on topic. Otherwise, this thread has lost any reason to exist. It's up to you people whether this thread is worth while or not.

Curly, I thought I had just made a point about the sub.... vs obj.... recently. Yet, here it is once again! Definitely OT as well.

-Chris

Chris,

You're right, all the latest posts including mine, can certainly find a home on other threads. I will refrain from adding any additional posts to this thread. Thanks for reminding me.

Best Regards,
TerryO

-Chris

I was responding to Sy. What is wrong with responding? Call me out if you must, but please, I am not instigating anything here.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Curly,
This isn't the time or place to engage in OT conversation. I'm not trying to be hard on you, but this is exactly the thing that throws a thread into a confusing mess.

If you need to respond to another member on a subject that is OT to begin with, take it off line and either start a thread if the subject is worth talking about, or keep it to email.

Call me out if you must, but please, I am not instigating anything here.
Well, you kinda are here. There was no need for you to respond to anything SY said as you were not addressed to begin with. But even if you were addressed, your continued comments certainly carried the OT topic along.

Everyone,
This is exactly what trashes most threads here. A shinning example of someone who doesn't see where they are doing anything wrong. This is where some respect is needed for the topic of a thread.

Remember:
No one snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.

-Chris

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Wrong example. I don't think anybody, EE or not, ever said "all caps sound the same" or "there are no differences between various dielectrics".

What was rightfully said was that:

Hi Syn08 sorry but that was not the particular example I was talking of, I have not seen that thread. It was not you or anyone else that has posted in this thread :) Sorry if that was implied.

Tony.

Status
Not open for further replies.