Misco Oaktron 203-FR08-01

I just noticed this while browsing the Q-component catalog.

https://qcomponents.ca/collections/...-misco-165-fr08-04-6-5-8-ohm-full-range-93033

https://store.miscospeakers.com/8-inch-single-driver-loudspeaker-93087

Anyone has experience with it?

Looks pretty decent with balanced TS parameters, at least the way I like. :) A bit on the pricey side, approaching comparable - at least on paper - Fostex and SEAS units, for a company not usually associated with hi-fi, though some recent offerings are going this way, namely the titular Oaktron and the XBL2 woofers.

I was browsing for drivers on the cheap side and looking at manufacturers I usually, well, overlook. I've seen that JC80WP tons of times before, but never bothered to have a closer look. The treated cloth cone is certainly unusual and I did not know that was a coaxial piezo in there. Looking further, the JC8WPA is perhaps worth a look as a wide, if not full-range driver for my application.

Basically, I stuck an old ceiling 8" fullrange with Qt=1.7 in my experimental 6" Karlson and was surprised that it did not sound as terrible as I'd assumed, but when turning the volume up some more, I discovered it has voice-coil rub, a bad case of it. I might just eventually use it in my detached and unheated workshop, mostly for talk radio, monophonic to boot, so not exactly looking to stick a Lowther in there, nor a Fostex or even that fancier Misco Oaktron. :)

i can't find a "WPA" but if the sensitivity on this is for real it may be worth a try https://qcomponents.ca/collections/commercial-sound/products/misco-jc8pa

i'm always on the hunt for the same sleeper type speakers that check both boxes, reasonable quality and cheap (good bang for the buck)
i'm interested in the fact that it's weather proof for outdoor use and the fact that red cones are just "dead sexy" to me means that i'm closer to pulling the trigger on buying a pair...

i've had good luck with Pyle (yeah that's right) Studio pro 8's from Parts Express in rebuilding some old Traynor columns for Pa use.

true enuff!
the fs i guess matters less when the back box is lord knows how many cubic feet of mall ceiling space and there's 20 or so on a 70 Volt line
i heard those in use in a local mall and yup the fact that the response just isn't there over 8k (sounded more like six to me despite my old man hearing) those would need a tweeter IMHO.

Yes, the JC8PA would need a tweeter, but I still like the fairly extended response to 8kHz. The elevated SPL above ~1kHz would also be desirable if I put it in a Karlson. Talking about stuffing a PA driver in a Karlson probably killed whatever hi-fi credibility I have left, I hope this thread doesn't get too many views. ;)

On the smaller side, the 4.5" 127-FR08-01 looks pretty good. I like the surround (IOW - not foam) and cone design. I'd like to see a cast basket at this price point though.

Last edited:

Attachments

• k10 fodder.jpg
    k10 fodder.jpg
    430.1 KB · Views: 57
The two main driver vendors up here don't seem to sell GRS, Amazon has a few, but not this one. Newark has lots of MCM drivers, very low prices, specs don't seem to hold up if looking at user experience, save for some specific drivers, probably 'newer' designs. Some are bound to offer great value though.

I may be able to get another old and used 'Enforcer 8' ceiling fullrange with whizzer, hopefully without VC rub this time. I think the new holey vent in the TK6 made it work alright despite Qt=1.7. Perhaps I should try the Faital 6FE100 again, it might redeem itself with all the changes since.

I would not hesitate to buy and design a new K10 around the Celestion TF1020, as I quite liked this driver. Can't believe I got it for 40$ a piece at McKenzie recone, blowout sale. CAD was also at parity with USD at that time. Which is also roughly when I bought the TD15M - I'd pay ~2x in CAD today! For a change though, I might go for a Fane, lots of sensibly priced units with good specs, much like Celestion IMHO. Solen sells them to boot, so no crazy duty and shipping fees. McBride/Qcomponents has Celestion, B&C, Beyma, Eminence and Radian, as well as Misco including their Bold North line. They also have a few - likely NOS - Pioneer and Phillips woofers, a couple of which might be interesting, but it's mostly foam surrounds, which I usually avoid. They are also priced high, they belong in a clearance sale IMO.

Last edited:
I picked up a couple of K12H-200TC cheap - hope someday to go back where my K12 are to try (house is in bad shape). The basket is nicer / stronger than TF1020 - very pretty design with mesh dustcap so the pole piece is visable--- can't load into the 12" XKi as the basket is a bit larger than that of Kappa 12A. Maybe with foam weatherstripping I could lay the cabinet on its back and let gravity hold the Celestion for some low spl evaluations.

fwiw a fudged sim of K12H-200tc - its a very pretty driver with small width edge

btw - we should pool K-driver recommendations for a new thread sometime 'soon"

Attachments

• k12 sim GRS 10PT FE206en K12H-200TC.jpg
    k12 sim GRS 10PT FE206en K12H-200TC.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 29
Last edited: