Mini-Me second edition tube phono preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Today i had time to spend with the mini-me 2.
I have changed the schematic to get lower distorsion. From 1.2% to 0.25%.
2nd harm. from -40db to -53db.

Further i gonna make a new PCB. Because i will lower the influence of difference in amplification factor between tubes.

Attachments

• mini-me2b.jpg
    mini-me2b.jpg
    495.4 KB · Views: 537
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Nice effort of making a LV valve preamp.
If you don't mind, may I ask why the gridleak resistors are drawn so far away from their grids?
I don't see the point in bypassing the diodes of the cathode of the first stage, have you tried removing them?

Given the low B+ it may be worth a try to use a CCS for the first two stages, it would increase gain and lower distortion. The RIAA network may need some revising though.

Nice work. :cool:

Cheers, ;)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I use the same technique with my grid leak resistors as it maximizes the available stage gain (no implicit resistive voltage divider as part of the RIAA network) - I've been doing this since the late 1980s.. I assume Koifarm is using the technique for the same reason. (Have to make sure one does not exceed the maximum allowed grid circuit resistance, at least by much.. :D )

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I use the same technique with my grid leak resistors as it maximizes the available stage gain (no implicit resistive voltage divider as part of the RIAA network) - I've been doing this since the late 1980s..

Never too old to learn. :D
Grid current flowing through the RIAA network components is no issue then?
Guess we'll have to discuss this one day over "un cornet de frites et une bonne biere", right?

Cheers, ;)

Thanks kevinkr for the explenation.

Frank about the RIAA see the almost straight line at the picture in the first thread.
Removing C21/C24 i still need to try next time. First i need to build a new PCB with different tube setup.

Each 6N28b-v has a slightly different amplication factor. By using the triodes of one tube in the same amp position the difference between channels stays low.
With the setup i have now using the triodes after each other, there is a noticeble difference in amplification between left and right channel( 1,5db).

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The tubes are probably operating in a region where their mu is inconsistent from sample to sample, I've not seen this issue much in common tubes, but it is an issue with some of the high transconductance types I favor, the key obviously is to stay out of the variable mu region, and with some types matching will be necessary. Operating at somewhat higher plate voltages might help to address this issue, even 100V may make a difference by allowing you to choose an operating point where performance from sample to sample may be more consistent, and linearity will be somewhat better..

Today i tried a new version. With 80v anode voltage, seperate heater supply, other working point, added rumble filter, other tube setup.

And it sounds very good, wide soundstage like the first mini-me, no distorsion, great detail. The final pcb design and schematic will come later. I will make the pcb universal for choice of power supply.

Also i will do some measurements.

Schematic and PCB layout.

This version you can use your own favourit power supply. For heater i use 24v DC and for anode supply 80v DC regulated.

Distorsion is below 0,1%, amplfication is 325 times.

Attachments

• mini-me2b.jpg
    mini-me2b.jpg
    752.8 KB · Views: 568
  • minime2b.jpg
    minime2b.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 511
  • Minime2b - PCB.pdf
    70.3 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
That must be possible.

Keep in mind that second tube stage grid capacitance is part of the RIAA correction. 6922 tube has other grid capacitance. You need to correct the 470pf(C8/C18) capacitor. Now the 6n16 has about 15x 1.4pf= 21pf capacitance for the 6922 that will be about 30x 3.1pf= 93pf. Try 390pf for 470pf capacitor in first RIAA correction stage.

My plan to build the original mini-me was delayed. Now, I see that 2nd edition v2 is available and maybe I should skip the original, just build the last 2nd edition mini-me.
Looks like 2nd is easier to build but

Can you share your observations on sound quality original mini-me vs. 2nd mini-me ver. 2?
thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.