Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

Interesting. Mine is better, of course. :D It's similar enough that I would expect some of the same benefits. The front chamber seems a little large compared to the rear. All the kluged sims at the time seemed to indicate it would be better to go in the opposite direction, with a smaller volume front chamber. I'm still not sold on the curved reflector. ;)

Hi X,

Just wanted to mention that the 0.53x mini-K's w/ Vifa TC9FD drivers are doing an amazing job in our theater rehearsal area! We have theater camp for 8 to 14 yr olds last week & this week...and those little speakers are getting a good work out. Still don't understand how they can make as much SPL as they do, even in bass freqs.

I have been careful to use controls on the Mackie power amp (capable of delivering 300 wpc into 8 ohms, so probably able to do 450 wpc into 6 ohms) to prevent the kids from releasing the magic smoke.

Cheers, Jim

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Jim,
Thanks for the feedback! It's a nice feeling to know that these things are putting a smile on your face. :) There was thread a while ago where someone wanted to make speakers for the dart room in his bar. He had a budget of $50 and I recommended these. The idea was poo poo'd by some folks as "never having enough SPL" for large space like a bar. Oh well... Now I know they can do light duty as PA speakers. They reach deep due to GregB's excellent design which I just figured out how to scale. The K-aperture has a big impact on how big they sound.
Thanks again for the kind words.
X

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I like the two tone look with natural color wings. Nice box - I have never heard a Klam before wonder what they are like? Are you putting Beta 12LT in it? I have never hear a K15 before either. Need to get me one or build one, although I am pretty happy with my new PRV tops and a bass horn sub.

Last edited:
I'll probably run it with a standard `99dB sensitivity Eminence coax with 80oz magnet and a compression driver with very little if any attenuation - 12LTA might work if the back chamber isn't too small - a thin plywood bracket mounted over the front of the baffle could hold a compression driver with extended K-tube

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

typical K-tube exit

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi X,

Just wanted to mention that the 0.53x mini-K's w/ Vifa TC9FD drivers are doing an amazing job in our theater rehearsal area! We have theater camp for 8 to 14 yr olds last week & this week...and those little speakers are getting a good work out. Still don't understand how they can make as much SPL as they do, even in bass freqs.

I have been careful to use controls on the Mackie power amp (capable of delivering 300 wpc into 8 ohms, so probably able to do 450 wpc into 6 ohms) to prevent the kids from releasing the magic smoke.

Cheers, Jim

Cool! Let's not forget to thank John Karlson for coming up with the simple expedient of a variable width slot. Essentially, it makes a bandpass enclosure into a full bandwidth radiator with reasonably smooth response. (depending on who you ask... :D:eek::rolleyes:)

I thought I would try my hand at making a pair of wooden K’s. The drivers were rescued from some Sony plastic boxes. Not knowing any specs on them I made 3 foam core models and then went from there. After quite a bit of adjusting the filling they are sounding pretty good; a hell of a lot better than the plastic boxes. :)
Next will be a pair built with some better drivers.

Attachments

• birch k.jpg
    birch k.jpg
    905.1 KB · Views: 370
  • detail.jpg
    detail.jpg
    732.5 KB · Views: 362
  • foam 3.jpg
    foam 3.jpg
    623.4 KB · Views: 362
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
There are a couple of things at least that the K aperture provides: a non-distinct boundary condition so that a 1/4-wave doesn't "know" where the edge of the TL mouth is and hence has a smoother response. This can be done by drilling varying degrees of holes towards the terminus of a TL; and the edge provides an acoustic lens for the HF to diffract and spread over a wider angle with more uniform directivity. A Karlson aperture makes the speaker sound more spacious and increases the sweet spot.

when one doesn't have access to fullrange or quality coaxial drivers, a K-tube for treble is one way to go. Subjectively, it may outpoint a CD waveguide or horn and can be made from paper for quick evaluation. I've tried to emphasize the K-tube's use for over a decade

Last edited:
Vintage speaker calculation

Hi xrk971,

I have a pair of 12 inch burman xp5012 speakers, pulled from a guitar amp, that I'm interested in making a Karlson or TL enclosure for. These speakers are 50 watts at 15 ohms. I have been researching and I think they were made by Goodmans. They seem related to the Goodmans audiom 12p-d. Attached is some specs. When you have time, can you do some calculation for me to figure the dimensions for Karlson and TL(and the length of the TL)? Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Goodmans 12p-d.png
    Goodmans 12p-d.png
    714.8 KB · Views: 327